New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards

New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards (http://saintsreport.com/forums/)
-   Polls Forum (http://saintsreport.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Do you feel that Rob Ryan was the best option as Saints Defensive Coordinator? (http://saintsreport.com/forums/f12/do-you-feel-rob-ryan-best-option-saints-defensive-coordinator-286753/)

Andrus 02-09-2013 09:29 AM

Do you feel that Rob Ryan was the best option as Saints Defensive Coordinator?

Considering the availability of coaching candidates, Do you feel that Rob Ryan was the best option as Saints Defensive Coordinator?

krushing 02-09-2013 09:44 AM

I do. With our lack of talent, we have to have a very aggressive DC to win now. If we didn't have a championship offense with a QB near the end of his prime, Id say " let's get a guy who can build a solid defense for the future". We need someone to do what GW did, take chances and give us a chance to win now. We don't have the draft choices or the cap space to completely rebuild. It is what it is. Hopefully Ryan can light a fire and confuse offenses.

pistolpete12105 02-09-2013 10:30 AM

in the immortal words of ted nugent, "just what the doctor ordered"

MLU 02-09-2013 10:47 AM

What really throws me off is how the Saints have hired a DC for the second year in a row, but kept all if the defensive assistants in place. Seems like you want want to really make a chance you allow the DC to bring in his people. All they're doing is changing the guy who calls the plays and carries the playbook.

The worst defense in NFL history needs to be gutted, players and coaches.

thegoldenapple 02-09-2013 04:08 PM

I don't think he is but I hope I'm wrong.

CMICHAEL007 02-10-2013 11:01 AM

No talent on defense?

With 2 DE'S and 2 DT'S,1 Safety,1 CB,1 LB being 1ST Round Picks and 1 Safety a 2ND Round Pick, That's 7 1ST Round Starters and 1 2ND Round Defensive Starter, It seems to me the problem is either the COACHES have no talent or the DRAFTING of these Players IS SubSubSub Par.
What other NFL team has 4 1ST RND DL and 7 Defensive Starters Taken in the 1st Round?
I think we're barking up the wrong tree.............

parlorcitysaint 02-10-2013 02:00 PM

in some ways, Ryan has the same fiery temperment as G-Dub. He's also a 3-4 guy, which Payton feels is the scheme our guys are best suited for. Maybe he and Williams had been planning this transition for years.

Gotta have faith, I guess.

Bill 02-11-2013 06:36 AM

There are always a lot of unknowns when a team has to fill a top coaching position. Two that I can think of right off the bat are the length of time it will take for the players to adopt and learn the new scheme and the availability of new players to fill the needed roles of the new defense.

The few positives that come to mind are Ryan's familiarity with the new style of defense and his friendship with the head coach. I say that the latter is a positive simply because they will work well together and they will each be frank about what is needed and expected regarding players and expectations without any 'power trips' or personality clashes.

But that's just MHO. :shy:

bobad 02-11-2013 10:07 AM

I'm not a fan of Ryan's coaching style. I prefer the cerebral teacher style of coaching, with a measured amount of discipline and toughness. Ryan's style has worked for some, (it got his dad into the SB) I hope it works for us!

Cosmic201 02-11-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLU (Post 4906559)
What really throws me off is how the Saints have hired a DC for the second year in a row, but kept all if the defensive assistants in place. Seems like you want want to really make a chance you allow the DC to bring in his people. All they're doing is changing the guy who calls the plays and carries the playbook.

Agreed.

I keep hearing words like aggressive when asked to describe Rob Ryan and it's like people have forgotten we've tried that already. Greg Williams was aggressive. He installed the mentality of bringing the wood and big hits. The Saints got rid of him because it wasn't working.

I don't think the Saints have a head defensive coach problem. They have a fundamentals problem. We don't need an amazing defense. We just need a defense that can get off the field sometimes and force a couple of stops. I think we can get that by playing fundamentally good defense. Instead of trying for the strip, or big hit, or blitz, or interception; wrap up a tackle, swat down the ball, bring down the runner instead.

Koolbrees 02-18-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLU (Post 4906559)

This is what i have been saying! I agree with you 10000%:rant:

bobad 02-18-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolbrees (Post 4917333)
This is what i have been saying! I agree with you 10000%:rant:

Maybe Ryan was the only decent DC that would agree to keep the assistants.

That's a pretty raw deal if you ask me. You bring a guy in, tie his hands, then fire him after 1 year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember any new DC's using most of the existing position coaches.

SaintStephen 03-23-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic201 (Post 4909330)
Agreed.

I keep hearing words like aggressive when asked to describe Rob Ryan and it's like people have forgotten we've tried that already. Greg Williams was aggressive. He installed the mentality of bringing the wood and big hits. The Saints got rid of him because it wasn't working.

I don't think the Saints have a head defensive coach problem. They have a fundamentals problem. We don't need an amazing defense. We just need a defense that can get off the field sometimes and force a couple of stops. I think we can get that by playing fundamentally good defense. Instead of trying for the strip, or big hit, or blitz, or interception; wrap up a tackle, swat down the ball, bring down the runner instead.

Except for "3rd and Williams", (similar to LSU's own 3rd and Chevis), our D's were pretty stout under GW. This gives me hope for Rob Ryan as he is a GW-light IMO. I think the personality clash and his overall attitude toward SP and the organization are what really did him in. His attitude and playcalling were nonchalant from midway 2011 to the 49er debacle, and this led to his being canned IMO. I mean, wasn't he giving away draft "secrets" and such?

FRISCOSAINT 04-04-2013 06:40 PM

This "D" last season couldn't stop a high school team from gaining 400 total yard per game. I think Rob is can right fit for this team to light a fire under these guys. I have to admit this switch to 3-4 will take another season to get the right type of players to make this work.