New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > NEWS & POLLS > Polls Forum

Google Ads
Latest Poll
It's been reported that Graham is looking for $12 mill/yr. You are Loomis, what would you do?
Give him the 12 mill per year
Give him Gronkowski money plus a little bit
Franchise tag him as a TE
Franchise tag him as a WR
Franchise tag him and try to trade him
Let him walk
Sponsored Ads

View Poll Results: Considering availability, Do you feel that Rob Ryan was the best option as Saints Defensive Coordina
Yes 592 56.17%
No 197 18.69%
Unsure 265 25.14%
Voters: 1054. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
Owner/Webmaster

Andrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger Club
Andrus 40K Burger ClubAndrus 40K Burger Club
Do you feel that Rob Ryan was the best option as Saints Defensive Coordinator?

Considering the availability of coaching candidates, Do you feel that Rob Ryan was the best option as Saints Defensive Coordinator?
Andrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
I do. With our lack of talent, we have to have a very aggressive DC to win now. If we didn't have a championship offense with a QB near the end of his prime, Id say " let's get a guy who can build a solid defense for the future". We need someone to do what GW did, take chances and give us a chance to win now. We don't have the draft choices or the cap space to completely rebuild. It is what it is. Hopefully Ryan can light a fire and confuse offenses.
krushing is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
son of a son of a sailor

pistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enoughpistolpete12105 will become famous soon enough
in the immortal words of ted nugent, "just what the doctor ordered"
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
What really throws me off is how the Saints have hired a DC for the second year in a row, but kept all if the defensive assistants in place. Seems like you want want to really make a chance you allow the DC to bring in his people. All they're doing is changing the guy who calls the plays and carries the playbook.

The worst defense in NFL history needs to be gutted, players and coaches.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Pro-Bowler

thegoldenapple is marching in
thegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching inthegoldenapple is marching in
I don't think he is but I hope I'm wrong.
thegoldenapple is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Practice Squad

CMICHAEL007 is an unknown quantity at this point
No talent on defense?

With 2 DE'S and 2 DT'S,1 Safety,1 CB,1 LB being 1ST Round Picks and 1 Safety a 2ND Round Pick, That's 7 1ST Round Starters and 1 2ND Round Defensive Starter, It seems to me the problem is either the COACHES have no talent or the DRAFTING of these Players IS SubSubSub Par.
What other NFL team has 4 1ST RND DL and 7 Defensive Starters Taken in the 1st Round?
I think we're barking up the wrong tree.............
CMICHAEL007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
WhoDat in exile.

parlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
parlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Memberparlorcitysaint Prestigious Gold Club Member
in some ways, Ryan has the same fiery temperment as G-Dub. He's also a 3-4 guy, which Payton feels is the scheme our guys are best suited for. Maybe he and Williams had been planning this transition for years.

Gotta have faith, I guess.
parlorcitysaint is online now Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
Flying a perfect Figure 9

Bill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Bill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBill is an Sr.com Hall of Famer

Awards Showcase
Predict the Score Winner 
Total Awards: 1

There are always a lot of unknowns when a team has to fill a top coaching position. Two that I can think of right off the bat are the length of time it will take for the players to adopt and learn the new scheme and the availability of new players to fill the needed roles of the new defense.

The few positives that come to mind are Ryan's familiarity with the new style of defense and his friendship with the head coach. I say that the latter is a positive simply because they will work well together and they will each be frank about what is needed and expected regarding players and expectations without any 'power trips' or personality clashes.

But that's just MHO.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Now breaking good

bobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
bobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
I'm not a fan of Ryan's coaching style. I prefer the cerebral teacher style of coaching, with a measured amount of discipline and toughness. Ryan's style has worked for some, (it got his dad into the SB) I hope it works for us!
bobad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Hall-of-Famer

Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post
What really throws me off is how the Saints have hired a DC for the second year in a row, but kept all if the defensive assistants in place. Seems like you want want to really make a chance you allow the DC to bring in his people. All they're doing is changing the guy who calls the plays and carries the playbook.

Agreed.

I keep hearing words like aggressive when asked to describe Rob Ryan and it's like people have forgotten we've tried that already. Greg Williams was aggressive. He installed the mentality of bringing the wood and big hits. The Saints got rid of him because it wasn't working.

I don't think the Saints have a head defensive coach problem. They have a fundamentals problem. We don't need an amazing defense. We just need a defense that can get off the field sometimes and force a couple of stops. I think we can get that by playing fundamentally good defense. Instead of trying for the strip, or big hit, or blitz, or interception; wrap up a tackle, swat down the ball, bring down the runner instead.
Cosmic201 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #11
Pro-Bowler

Koolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura aboutKoolbrees has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post

This is what i have been saying! I agree with you 10000%
Old 02-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Now breaking good

bobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
bobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbobad is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolbrees View Post
This is what i have been saying! I agree with you 10000%
Maybe Ryan was the only decent DC that would agree to keep the assistants.

That's a pretty raw deal if you ask me. You bring a guy in, tie his hands, then fire him after 1 year.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember any new DC's using most of the existing position coaches.
bobad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Devine Obliteration

SaintStephen is a glorious beacon of light
SaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of lightSaintStephen is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic201 View Post
Agreed.

I keep hearing words like aggressive when asked to describe Rob Ryan and it's like people have forgotten we've tried that already. Greg Williams was aggressive. He installed the mentality of bringing the wood and big hits. The Saints got rid of him because it wasn't working.

I don't think the Saints have a head defensive coach problem. They have a fundamentals problem. We don't need an amazing defense. We just need a defense that can get off the field sometimes and force a couple of stops. I think we can get that by playing fundamentally good defense. Instead of trying for the strip, or big hit, or blitz, or interception; wrap up a tackle, swat down the ball, bring down the runner instead.
Except for "3rd and Williams", (similar to LSU's own 3rd and Chevis), our D's were pretty stout under GW. This gives me hope for Rob Ryan as he is a GW-light IMO. I think the personality clash and his overall attitude toward SP and the organization are what really did him in. His attitude and playcalling were nonchalant from midway 2011 to the 49er debacle, and this led to his being canned IMO. I mean, wasn't he giving away draft "secrets" and such?
SaintStephen is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Veteran Starter

FRISCOSAINT is on a distinguished roadFRISCOSAINT is on a distinguished road
This "D" last season couldn't stop a high school team from gaining 400 total yard per game. I think Rob is can right fit for this team to light a fire under these guys. I have to admit this switch to 3-4 will take another season to get the right type of players to make this work.
FRISCOSAINT is offline Reply With Quote