New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Collegiate Sports Board

Google Ads
Latest Poll
It's been reported that Graham is looking for $12 mill/yr. You are Loomis, what would you do?
Give him the 12 mill per year
Give him Gronkowski money plus a little bit
Franchise tag him as a TE
Franchise tag him as a WR
Franchise tag him and try to trade him
Let him walk
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
Cogito Egro Sum

JuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to all
JuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to all
Lsu Loses out on Top La Player...Again!

Riverside's Ricardo Gathers commits to Baylor - NOLA.com

smh arent you supposed to lock down the best players in your state?

WWSPD = What Would Sean Payton Do!
JuggernautSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
Super Forum Fanatic

jbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saint
jbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saint
Baylor has a great basketball program. I can understand recruiting being more competitive in basketball as LSU hasn't been a player for sometime. Now, football....that's another story.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Cogito Egro Sum

JuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to all
JuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to allJuggernautSaint is a name known to all
its not just this year though, baylor has taken 3 of the last 4 mr basketball players from Louisiana, but hey im a baylor fan too so im happy with it.

WWSPD = What Would Sean Payton Do!
JuggernautSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Super Forum Fanatic

jbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saint
I follow Baylor because we have friends who have a son who pitches for their baseball team. I can't understand why LSU can't field a top tier basketball team. When was the last time they were relevant?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Super Forum Fanatic

VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuggernautSaint View Post
Riverside's Ricardo Gathers commits to Baylor - NOLA.com

smh arent you supposed to lock down the best players in your state?
Ok, I'm ready to fire this punk. I waited long enough, but he's just not bringing in the recruits. He seems like a smart guy and everything, but perhaps this is why he's not competitive. We had a kid really wanting to come to LSU, but he didn't really put the effort into it.

"“But I just felt like LSU didn’t put forth that much effort,” he said. “Coach (Trent) Johnson never came to see one game this season.”

Anyways we've finished dead last the last two years. This year we are in contention to finish dead last again with only USC and UGA with less losses than we have in the SEC. We're not even CLOSE to being considered for the NCAA playoffs and that accepts like 65 teams now? We were never this pathetic under Brady, so I think it's time we end this failed expirement and bring in somebody that knows how to recruit this area.
VVextreme is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
Super Forum Fanatic

livefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true Saint
livefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourque View Post
I follow Baylor because we have friends who have a son who pitches for their baseball team. I can't understand why LSU can't field a top tier basketball team. When was the last time they were relevant?
Because LSU doesn't have a top tier basketball program or coaching. It's the same issue with football. People think LSU football is just a sure thing because of the talent in Louisiana, but its not that simple. Someone has to be able to build and maintain a program that attracts the best athletes in the state. That's why LSU football is successful and LSU basketball isn't.
livefromDC is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #7
Super Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by livefromDC View Post
Because LSU doesn't have a top tier basketball program or coaching. It's the same issue with football. People think LSU football is just a sure thing because of the talent in Louisiana, but its not that simple. Someone has to be able to build and maintain a program that attracts the best athletes in the state. That's why LSU football is successful and LSU basketball isn't.
I guess it comes as a surprise because LSU is such a well known school. I mean, college basketball success isn't limited to the largest schools. When I see mid-major programs like Gonzage and Butler consistently fielding good teams I wonder why we can't get a similar coach. What makes Virginia Commonwealth more attractive than a place like LSU? I don't know the answer, it's a serious question.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Super Forum Fanatic

VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
VVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to beholdVVextreme is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I guess it comes as a surprise because LSU is such a well known school. I mean, college basketball success isn't limited to the largest schools. When I see mid-major programs like Gonzage and Butler consistently fielding good teams I wonder why we can't get a similar coach. What makes Virginia Commonwealth more attractive than a place like LSU? I don't know the answer, it's a serious question.
I'm guessing it's a funding issue and our focus is elsewhere. Even the fans are so wrapped up in Les Miles, we don't have time to rip Johnson a new one for his pathetic performances.

We have had some success, made a few final fours and had some of the all-time greats suit up for us. It is very possible to win at LSU. We just need to improve our focus on it and demand better.

With the right coach that KNOWS how to recruit, I think we'd be golden. It's all about recruiting! In basketball more than any sport, I think you have to recruit well. You can't afford any misses and you have to grab at least two stars every year with the way the NBA steals them. Look at Calipari at KY, he is constantly reloading. Johnson lacks personality and that's probably killing him with these kids. Look at Les Miles, dude has the iq of a postage stamp, but has personality coming out the yin yang. You have to be able to sell. And you for darn sure have to put them time into getting to know these kids.
VVextreme is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #9
Iron Era Origional

Location: Seattle by way of DFW, Nacogdoches, Houston, Mandeville, Morgan City, and originating in Baton Rouge
Crzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Crzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
I can't understand why LSU can't field a top tier basketball team.
Basketball may be the hardest sport to build a program in. If you look at the year to year recruiting rankings teams like Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, etc pull in top talent regardless of state. Louisiana has not been exceptionally strong in BB talent for a while. This year there is top flight talent, but the problem is we are not at the point where we can really pull top flight guys consistently... even from our own state, the big boys win that battle everywhere in the country... no what we need is strong classes of good players and some lottery ticket types...

It just seems like college BB has bad teams, average teams, good teams, and then elite teams, and going from good to elite is a HUGE jump that requires a yearly influx of players from not just your immediate vicinity but the whole nation. To get there you have to either have a killer BB reputation, or have been good for a very long time with at least flashes of being great... which means you have to find a way to regularly compete with the big boys without the talent that they can draw.

LSU is simply not viewed in that light, even when we went to the Final Four we were not the kind of program that could pull final four caliber recruits, not enough consistent success, and not enough years of going deep in the tourney... it is incredibly difficult to break through and we are no were close to a break through.

I have been a Trent Johnson supporter, and the team is improving but I am not sure he has what it takes to get us there... of course getting there could easily take a decade or more even for the right coach and it falls on Joe Avella to decide if Trent is making the kind of improvement on the court that we need, and more importantly if he has the coaching chops, both on the court and in recruiting, to continue the process.

I personally despise Avella and I have little faith in his decisions, so I am concerned either way, but he knows more about TJ being the right guy or not more than I, or any fan, does.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 AM   #10
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
I have no real issue with Trent Johnson as the coach. I don't think he has been given nearly the resources that football is given. I was pretty unhappy to learn that he seemed to put out a half-hearted effort to sign Gathers, but I am sure there is more to the story. Still, program resources are a big part of running a top program. LSU and LSU fans simply don't care as much about basketball as they do football or even baseball.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

livefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true Saint
livefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crzycjunx76 View Post
Basketball may be the hardest sport to build a program in. If you look at the year to year recruiting rankings teams like Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, etc pull in top talent regardless of state. Louisiana has not been exceptionally strong in BB talent for a while. This year there is top flight talent, but the problem is we are not at the point where we can really pull top flight guys consistently... even from our own state, the big boys win that battle everywhere in the country... no what we need is strong classes of good players and some lottery ticket types...

It just seems like college BB has bad teams, average teams, good teams, and then elite teams, and going from good to elite is a HUGE jump that requires a yearly influx of players from not just your immediate vicinity but the whole nation. To get there you have to either have a killer BB reputation, or have been good for a very long time with at least flashes of being great... which means you have to find a way to regularly compete with the big boys without the talent that they can draw.

LSU is simply not viewed in that light, even when we went to the Final Four we were not the kind of program that could pull final four caliber recruits, not enough consistent success, and not enough years of going deep in the tourney... it is incredibly difficult to break through and we are no were close to a break through.

I have been a Trent Johnson supporter, and the team is improving but I am not sure he has what it takes to get us there... of course getting there could easily take a decade or more even for the right coach and it falls on Joe Avella to decide if Trent is making the kind of improvement on the court that we need, and more importantly if he has the coaching chops, both on the court and in recruiting, to continue the process.

I personally despise Avella and I have little faith in his decisions, so I am concerned either way, but he knows more about TJ being the right guy or not more than I, or any fan, does.
I disagree. If LSU pulled an Alabama and went after the top coach regardless of price and landed a top coach, they would be in the top 10 the very next year. LSU has the all the things necessary to be a great program except the recruiting element.
livefromDC is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Hall-of-Famer

Location: Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Franklin via Nova Scotia via Loudon, France
where yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
where yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwhere yat brah is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Maybe he just wanted to compete against better players. The Big 12 has much better talent than the SEC.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
Iron Era Origional

Location: Seattle by way of DFW, Nacogdoches, Houston, Mandeville, Morgan City, and originating in Baton Rouge
Crzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Crzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCrzycjunx76 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefromDC View Post
I disagree. If LSU pulled an Alabama and went after the top coach regardless of price and landed a top coach, they would be in the top 10 the very next year. LSU has the all the things necessary to be a great program except the recruiting element.
They are recruiting good players and they are a good team, but they are not at the point or even close to the point where their program is elite, they have yet to get even one top 25 player in recruiting.

The stranglehold of the elite teams is obvious when you look at recruiting, there are a handful of teams that get AT LEAST one of the top 25 players in the nation every year, typically they get 2-4 of these players, the same teams will often have a few top 50 players as well and occasionally they pick up someone from 50-100 to fill a bench roll... they almost never pull anyone out side of the top 100 prospects The talent disparity between the top prospects and the rest is pretty immense in Basketball, it is not like football where you regularly have three star prospects become All-Americans.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
Subscribing Member

BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
Don't they have a high scoring super stud coming in from the NO area?
BIG E is offline Reply With Quote