Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 10-06-2017, 09:40 AM   #1
Veteran Starter

Jb25saints is marching in
Jb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching in
0-2 to 2-2!

Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy with the way this team is playing, However I am not a biased saints fan. How does this team go from the first 2 weeks of playing to these last 2 games? Is it the opponents level of play? Was it just bad coaching? There are many more Theories But what do you all think. Regardless of answers, these next games will be the deciding factor.
Jb25saints is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Veteran Starter

STEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enoughSTEWDADDY34 will become famous soon enough
I know for one that vaccaro, and some others went to Dennis Allen and asked could he go back to the defense they ran in preseason, more man, less zone, and simplified. DA agreed, and that's the defense we're witnessing now. They're playing fast, and thinking less. Let's see how it plays out going forward.........Fingers Crossed.

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
2nd Year Player

dutar76 60K Burger Club
dutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Club
I really think the first two weeks we were still trying to figure ourselves out on defense. We had a lot of 3 CB sets with Harris lined up opposite Lattimore. Head-scratcher there... We also tried to play Vaccaro as an off the ball safety. We've tried that before and it has always had bad results. He's a damn fine DB in the slot, especially against the run. I can believe the post above that states we simplified the defense, we sure see less confusion pre snap and less mental breakdowns during plays. Another big thing is the emergence of Rankins and Onyemata... They stepped up big the past two games. But most of all, I think we realized that 3 safety sets remains our best defense and that Crawley and Lattimore are our best corners.

Our coverage is helping our pass rush and visa-versa. That's beautiful thing.

Quote:
“Forget all the critics. There’s a motivator much more powerful than doubt. I play in honor of those who believe in me.”~ Drew Brees
dutar76 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
Fleur de LEE

jayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saint
jayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saint
we will learn a lot in the next 2 games. i hope its not a coincidence that they got better when panthers were hurt and the dolphins were just plain bad (6 points the week before vs jets). i hope it is the less zone/more man defense thats got them playing so fast.

if we'd give up less than 20 per game in these next two i'd consider that as a win for the defense considering the lions and packers are the 10th and 8th highest scoring teams in the league with 24.8 and 25.5 ppg.

FWIW, saints are 14th with 23.2 ppg.

vikings 19th - 19.8ppg (we gave up 29, granted bradford has been out the last few probably skews their numbers per game)
patriots 3rd - 29.6ppg (we gave up 36)
panthers 20th - 19.5ppg (we gave up 13)
dolphins 32nd - 8.3ppg (we gave up 0)

another fun stat, lions +9 in turnovers (1st)
saints - +4 in turnovers (5th)
packers - +2 in turnvoers (11th)

until the Saints vs Jets
jayd265 is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #5
Saints' fan 4ever

ndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Member
ndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberndcc Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb25saints View Post
Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy with the way this team is playing, However I am not a biased saints fan. How does this team go from the first 2 weeks of playing to these last 2 games? Is it the opponents level of play? Was it just bad coaching? There are many more Theories But what do you all think. Regardless of answers, these next games will be the deciding factor.
Rev. Deuce and EJW answer many of your questions in this podcast (link below):

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/wh.../#.Wdeq9TBrysw

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #6
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

saintlad is marching in
saintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching insaintlad is marching in
Quote:
Well Minnesota opening up on Monday night at home to a defense , starting 3 rookies. Minnesota has a top 5 defense from previous year, chomping at the bit to hit Peterson and go after rookie left tackle.

New England comes to Dome all ticked off from previous weeks performances. They have 4 extra days of rest/preparation against the Saints short week. Tom Brady exposing rookie linebacker to the harshness of NFL. Saints offense now missing both starting tackles and starting wide receiver.
saintlad is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #7
2nd Year Player

dutar76 60K Burger Club
dutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Clubdutar76 60K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd265 View Post
we will learn a lot in the next 2 games. i hope its not a coincidence that they got better when panthers were hurt and the dolphins were just plain bad (6 points the week before vs jets). i hope it is the less zone/more man defense thats got them playing so fast.

if we'd give up less than 20 per game in these next two i'd consider that as a win for the defense considering the lions and packers are the 10th and 8th highest scoring teams in the league with 24.8 and 25.5 ppg.

FWIW, saints are 14th with 23.2 ppg.

vikings 19th - 19.8ppg (we gave up 29, granted bradford has been out the last few probably skews their numbers per game)
patriots 3rd - 29.6ppg (we gave up 36)
panthers 20th - 19.5ppg (we gave up 13)
dolphins 32nd - 8.3ppg (we gave up 0)
I'd say that 50% of the defense's success the past 2 weeks can be attributed to the Panthers and Dolphins' offense stinking it up. Both of them looked BAD.

But on a positive note, our DBs were where they were supposed to be, our coverage was tight, and our pass rush was in the QB's faces. One thing that sticks out to me is our tackling. We're not allowing WRs any YAC and RBs aren't getting much after contact. Not giving up boom plays due to busted coverages and our line pressuring the QB means more quick short passes. The short game can be effective for an offense unless the defense is tackling well, which we've been doing.

Quote:
“Forget all the critics. There’s a motivator much more powerful than doubt. I play in honor of those who believe in me.”~ Drew Brees

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Every team's Elixor

BoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club Member
BoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBoNcHiE Prestigious Platinum Club Member
There are reasons on the field. It's also just the nature of the NFL.

A couple of years ago, three different 0-2 teams made the playoffs in a single season.

Even when we started 0-2, I was still thinking 7-9/8-8. This team was never going to go 4-12.
BoNcHiE is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #9
SR is my life!

VPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true Saint
VPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true SaintVPCajun is a true Saint
Quote:
How does this team go from the first 2 weeks of playing to these last 2 games? Is it the opponents level of play? ...

Bingo!

But...

how did the Saints Offense play so poorly against NE?

(Rushing only 17 times probably did not help matters.)

Playing against a woeful Panthers team followed by the woeful Dolphins certainly helped things!

But as I said from the beginning - this is a team with a lot of young players, and hopefully they've learned a lot in those first 4 games and can apply it going forward.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #10
2nd Year Player

dutar76 60K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VPCajun View Post

Bingo!

But...

how did the Saints Offense play so poorly against NE?

(Rushing only 17 times probably did not help matters.)

Playing against a woeful Panthers team followed by the woeful Dolphins certainly helped things!

But as I said from the beginning - this is a team with a lot of young players, and hopefully they've learned a lot in those first 4 games and can apply it going forward.

Getting down 20-3 in the 1st quarter vs the Pats pretty much took our run game off the table. Being down 30-10 at halftime made us completely one dimensional.

Call these last two games "easy" or "gimmes' or whatever... We beat 2 NFL teams on the road. Our defense lacks experience, sure... but it also lacked confidence. Winning breeds confidence. We needed those 2 wins badly and we got them.

Quote:

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 05:58 PM   #11
Very Panned
Parachute Panic Champion Disc Dash Champion V:force Champion Hexxagon Champion

Bronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Bronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
However I am not a biased saints fan.
we know you're not...

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f63/g.../#.WdgJs2iPI2x

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/fi.../#.WdgJe2iPI2w

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/tr.../#.WdgJgmiPI2w

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/pl.../#.WdgJiGiPI2w

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/we.../#.WdgJlGiPI2w

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/wh.../#.WdgJnmiPI2w

https://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/we...t-help-367896/

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:00 PM   #12
Super Forum Fanatic

Saint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club Member
Saint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club Member

Saint Ace is online now Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Veteran Starter

Jb25saints is marching in
Jb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching inJb25saints is marching in
Ya gotta click the articles and actually read them. Don't base them off the title... rookie mistake
Jb25saints is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
Hall-of-Famer

reason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to behold
reason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to beholdreason2believe is a splendid one to behold
Overused line ...

"We will learn a lot from these next two games ..."

We will learn a lot from every game. Every game will help determine who this team is and how good they are. Every game will determine what the team's record is and if they will make the playoffs. No need to say it every week.
reason2believe is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
I'm with you fellers.

SoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club Member
SoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSoggyBottomBoy Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Ya gotta click the articles and actually read them. Don't base them off the title... rookie mistake
Bronson is the seasoned veteran. And he's right, rookie.

The league picks a preferred result and works backward to justify it. - Drew Brees
SoggyBottomBoy is offline Reply With Quote