Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #136
Not a part of your system

NOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
NOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNOFALCONS10 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPs6724 View Post
We were very good on D last year in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed. We still stunk in sacks and takeaways though. They weren't the problem last year.

we need to replace guys like will smith and ellis then? you won't get any argument from me.

just keep franklin and rodgers. I think our interior line made major strides this year.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #137
Purple Knight

Cjjr72984 is a true SaintCjjr72984 is a true Saint
Cjjr72984 is a true SaintCjjr72984 is a true SaintCjjr72984 is a true SaintCjjr72984 is a true SaintCjjr72984 is a true SaintCjjr72984 is a true Saint
You know what's so frustrating about that game...we were up by 3! All the defense had to do was (at the very least) hold frisco to 3pts. At the most, force a stop and win the game. They did neither.

You know what else annoys me. The Times Picayune beat writers dismissing fans that said they wanted GW gone. Almost like "well we follow the Saints and the fans don't, therefore we know what we're talking about when we say Gregg Williams is a phenomenal coach!" Duncan, Varney, and Triplette can all go jump off a bridge!

No excuses. I don't usually call for guys' head, but Gregg Williams has got to go.
Cjjr72984 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #138
U Talking Bout Me?!

Shr1mpPoBoy has disabled reputation
The approach to defend Vernon Davis by Greg Williams was just plain terrible. Davis already beat Jenkins badly in one on one earlier in the 4th quarter to help the 9ers take the lead back after we finally scored in the second half. Then he turns around and run the SAME coverage right after Jimmy Graham's miracle touchdown with 1:37 left on the clock? This guy has to go...
Shr1mpPoBoy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #139
More than 15K posts served!

meily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saint
meily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saintmeily is a true Saint
I think it was more poor angling by Jenkins than play call, he let Vernon get over top of him and it was over after that, he had to stay over top of him.
meily is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #140
U Talking Bout Me?!

Shr1mpPoBoy has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by meily View Post
I think it was more poor angling by Jenkins than play call, he let Vernon get over top of him and it was over after that, he had to stay over top of him.
Vernon Davis is the fastest tight end the league. Angle has nothing to do with if you have the speed to beat a safety in one on one coverage. It was a terrible play call that got exposed TWICE in one quarter. Jenkins had no chance at winning that match up all by himself.
Shr1mpPoBoy is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #141
Two Dat, Here We Come!

NPs6724 is a true SaintNPs6724 is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFALCONS10 View Post
we need to replace guys like will smith and ellis then? you won't get any argument from me.

just keep franklin and rodgers. I think our interior line made major strides this year.
Replace most of the defense. None of them are better than mediocre. Our DL doesn't pressure the QB or stuff the run, our LBs can't get off blocks or cover RBs or TEs, our DBs give up big plays and no one forces turnovers.

Seriously, there's not a single playmaker on this defense.
NPs6724 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #142
Hold that Tiger!

SaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of light
SaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of lightSaintAtPitt is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPs6724 View Post
That is really weird. I was looking at the 2010 stats on NFL.com, and clicked on defensive interceptions. Also included in that stat sheet is Pts/Gm, which as the Saints at 24.0 per game. So I went with that. But when I clicked on the "Scoring", it came up with the 19.2 per game and the Saints 7th. Turns out, that 24.0 per game was the Saints offense (which was 11th), not their defense. I guess that was an input error by NFL.com because I clearly had selected the "Defense" and "Interceptions".

I stand corrected.
SaintAtPitt is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 PM   #143
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

jt21 has disabled reputation
GW was bad, Jenkins was bad, Harper was bad.

I know it's only his 2nd year playing FS but you'd think we need to start looking for a replacement at FS for Jenkins. He does nothing in coverage other than a few big hits (very few pass defenses) and consistently (as in all season) takes poor angles in run support. Jenkins was at least partially responsible for nearly every single big play given up today, including the first TD with the terrible angle and taking Harper out, the missed tackle on the Gore 42 yarder and obviously the plays where he got smoked in 1v1 coverage. Some blame to GW of course, but at some point Jenkins has gotta make a play.
jt21 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #144
What Would Breesus Do?

SaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club Member
SaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaintSproles Prestigious Platinum Club Member

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by meily View Post
when you're in man press coverage (which he should NOT have been in), you're gonna play trail technique, it's just the way it's done

Old 01-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #145
Cutting the lead blocker

TCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club Member
TCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club MemberTCUDan Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Having just read bits and pieces, I want to say one thing.

Malcolm Jenkins is NOT the problem.

He missed some INTs this year. But that's not the difference between him being good or bad. That's the difference between him being good or GREAT. If he makes those plays (holds onto the ball), he's on the All Pro team.

There is not a safety in the league who can cover Vernon Davis 1-on-1. Period. There aren't many corners in the league who can. It is the job of the coach/coordinator to put his players in favorable situations. Not to expose them.

Vernon Davis is the biggest, fastest, most dangerous skilled position player on that offense. Hell, there's an argument to be made that he's the best athlete on the field. How, in a situation where there is 1 drive left to decide who will advance to the NFC championship game, do you leave that guy singled up on ANYONE!!!!?!?!?!

I will always love GW for our Super Bowl season. But that was inexcusable, and I do feel that his welcome has been worn out in New Orleans.

I don't hate him and won't bad mouth him if/when he's gone. But too many times over the last 2 seasons, he's left our players exposed. We have talent on defense. We actually do. But there are certain times/matchups where you just have to reign it in and play smart football.

8 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #146
cool brees

saintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Club
saintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Clubsaintlyn8 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shr1mpPoBoy View Post
Vernon Davis is the fastest tight end the league. Angle has nothing to do with if you have the speed to beat a safety in one on one coverage. It was a terrible play call that got exposed TWICE in one quarter. Jenkins had no chance at winning that match up all by himself.
THIS! I was absolutely stunned that he was on him one on one with the game on the line AGAIN. That cannot happen, it's completely on GW for that play. That said, MJ needs to step his game up, the first TD from Davis was his fault, coming in at a horrendous angle and taking out our guy to boot. He's regressed, but still has potential, nowhere near what i thought he would be this season.
saintlyn8 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #147
SR is my life!

2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member
2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member

Awards Showcase
Photography Award Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post

He missed some INTs this year. But that's not the difference between him being good or bad. That's the difference between him being good or GREAT. If he makes those plays (holds onto the ball), he's on the All Pro team.

There is not a safety in the league who can cover Vernon Davis 1-on-1. Period. There aren't many corners in the league who can. It is the job of the coach/coordinator to put his players in favorable situations. Not to expose them.

Vernon Davis is the biggest, fastest, most dangerous skilled position player on that offense. Hell, there's an argument to be made that he's the best athlete on the field. How, in a situation where there is 1 drive left to decide who will advance to the NFC championship game, do you leave that guy singled up on ANYONE!!!!?!?!?!

I will always love GW for our Super Bowl season. But that was inexcusable, and I do feel that his welcome has been worn out in New Orleans.

I don't hate him and won't bad mouth him if/when he's gone. But too many times over the last 2 seasons, he's left our players exposed. We have talent on defense. We actually do. But there are certain times/matchups where you just have to reign it in and play smart football.
Applause.........
2009ring is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 11:14 PM   #148
Two Dat, Here We Come!

Gregg Williams is just like Rex and Rob Ryan (thanks to their dad Buddy). All three are loud, brash, supposed defensive geniuses who routinely call plays to "prove" their genius-ness that end up biting them in the ***. They all want to call some exotic blitz at key moments so if the play works, it was due to their genius. All three consistently avoid calling base defenses at big moments because then they don't get any of the glory. The biggest difference is Payton has just enough pull to keep GW quiet (most of the time).
NPs6724 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2012, 11:16 PM   #149
All-Pro

winndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to behold
winndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to beholdwinndaddy is a splendid one to behold
I told y'all that GW and his play calling would bite us 2 months ago. Well, it bit us at the worst time possible. We need better players and a new Defensive coach. No more complementary defense as some on this board likes to call it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winndaddy is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:17 PM   #150
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

jt21 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post

I'll admit, I don't like the way Jenkins has played at all at FS and have been very critical of him all year but you do make some good points.

The bigger problem I have is that he consistently takes terrible angles in run support and misses tackles. Case in point, the first TD today, the Gore 42 yard run and multiple Calvin Johnson plays last week.

Clearly those are 3 tough guys to bring down but Jenkins has been doing this week in and week out, in addition to not making very many plays in coverage.
jt21 is offline Reply With Quote