New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards

New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards (http://saintsreport.com/forums/)
-   Saints Super Forum (Main Board) (http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   The big story tonight that the other 31 teams will note is... (http://saintsreport.com/forums/f2/big-story-tonight-other-31-teams-will-note-372042/)

ndcc 09-11-2017 12:21 PM

The big story tonight that the other 31 teams will note is...

...that the New Orleans Saints have a formidable defense.

I can understand some taking a "Wait and See" approach. That's cool. But we've seen a tremendous jump in coaching AND overall play by the defense. There are areas where we can get better, but there does not seem to be any area on the defense where we are weak.

I guess a few talking heads :blabla: will write it off as a fluke.

Can't wait to watch our team dominate all 3 phases of this MNF game! :munch:

Who Dat !!!

:gosaints:

Saint Ace 09-11-2017 12:25 PM

I agree 100%. Saints defense will be the talk of the town (nation) after this game. Many will say the Vikings are bad on offense, but the conversation will begin, nonetheless. I'm so glad this game is on MNF.

DABOOT162 09-11-2017 12:30 PM

I hope our team takes advantage of starting the season on national tv and make a statement. Would be a great start to the season! Who dat!

slowchild25 09-11-2017 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndcc (Post 6862906)

It'll be because we played against Bradford. Next week against Brady will be totally different! Until it's not.

Saint Ace 09-11-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowchild25 (Post 6862918)
It'll be because we played against Bradford. Next week against Brady will be totally different! Until it's not.

:plus-un2:

Until it's NOT!!!

insidejob 09-11-2017 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowchild25 (Post 6862918)

I really hope if one of our safeties picks Bradford off and has a clear route to the end zone for a pick 6 that he doesn't get chased down from behind by Bradford a la Roman Harper. That wouldn't be too funny to be the only team ever to have had a safety chased down from behind on a pick 6 by the same slow *** QB playing for two different teams. (I'm totally making this stat up, but don't see Vaccaro, Bell or Wiliams getting caught from behind by Bradford unless the turf monster were to trip them up.)

gumbotron 09-11-2017 12:50 PM

unhatched chickens

IsraeliSaintsFan 09-11-2017 12:52 PM

I'm still nervous about our revamped D finally playing a real QB. Did they see a single starting QB during the preseason? (And I'm supposed to go to sleep so I can wake up for the 2am kickoff (my time)?)

slowchild25 09-11-2017 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidejob (Post 6862942)
I really hope if one of our safeties picks Bradford off and has a clear route to the end zone for a pick 6 that he doesn't get chased down from behind by Bradford a la Roman Harper.

Why are you brining that up? I'd almost blocked that out :aargh:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H84nK2lSw7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote from Harper "I've never been caught before by a QB in my whole life," said Harper, who lobbied that he still hasn't because Bradford never touched him. "I think my biggest was after 35 or 40 yards, my legs were gone. I looked back and I was like, 'Oh no, he's still running at me.' So, I was like, 'I need to get the hell out of bounds.'

https://media.giphy.com/media/20vHbYhl8VWbm/giphy.gif

Pdlc 09-11-2017 01:06 PM

For the first time in a while I actually agree that the defense will be fine. However I feel the offense will start sluggish.

ArchieWho64 09-11-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

I can understand some taking a "Wait and See" approach. That's cool. But we've seen a tremendous jump in coaching AND overall play by the defense. There are areas where we can get better, but there does not seem to be any area on the defense where we are weak.

Who Dat !!!

Completely agree. On point as well. Truth is this Defense can and will improve in the coming games. Yes, too early to tell. However, compared to years past, this Defense IS IN FACT IMPROVED from last years squad.
Preseason showing was a sign of things to come. With that being said, I'm sure DA hasn't shown his hand of what teams can expect of this defense.
Just like the teams run vanilla offense during the preseason, I'm sure the defense ran the same vanilla packages, no game planning per say.

Perhaps we will have a better assessment of this years team mid season, touché yes, but the schedule for the first 4 games is rough, and this early challenge will define this years team. Either we will be respected or disrespected. The Defense has so much speed and discipline from what we have seen thus far, and that in its self is the exciting part.

Offense, not a big concern, however the JELL of new personnel. Seems, with all the resting in the preseason is what has me concerned. Again, you cant do everything you want in 4 games that don't count. Health and a few breaks, this team will compete for the division and perhaps the conference. One game at time, and if the saints can manage a 4-0 start, I believe it could be 09 again in 2017.

jmalon3 09-11-2017 01:19 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how well the saints defense plays tonight. If they go out and get 10 sacks and 3 picks, the media will just talk about how the vikes played bad. The saints defense has done a lot wrong over the past few years and one good performance isn't going to wash that taste out their mouth. We gonna have to show up each week, dominate, and bring that listerine to them personally.

Saint Ace 09-11-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmalon3 (Post 6862988)
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter how well the saints defense plays tonight. If they go out and get 10 sacks and 3 picks, the media will just talk about how the vikes played bad. The saints defense has done a lot wrong over the past few years and one good performance isn't going to wash that taste out their mouth. We gonna have to show up each week, dominate, and bring that listerine to them personally.

While I agree, I still think this starts the conversation about our defense. I do think most will just blame the Vikings offense, but the conversation will start tonight and continue throughout the season, with more getting the listerine treatment each weak.

sammymvpknight 09-11-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Who Dat !!!

I don't blame anyone for expecting the Saints defense to be bad...they have been historically bad for a while, and we played against some pretty poor offensss during the preseason. There is no question that the Saints defense will be better but I'm in "show me something in a real game" mode...because that is what the Saints defense has earned since 2012.