New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Latest Poll
It's been reported that Graham is looking for $12 mill/yr. You are Loomis, what would you do?
Give him the 12 mill per year
Give him Gronkowski money plus a little bit
Franchise tag him as a TE
Franchise tag him as a WR
Franchise tag him and try to trade him
Let him walk
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #29
Hall-of-Famer

sammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
sammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famersammymvpknight is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
The Saints better re-sign Brees. That's the only chance of the Saints having Nicks.
sammymvpknight is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 AM   #30
Refusing to backpedal

RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
Does anyone know how "salary" is calculated for purposes of franchise tagging?

The reason I ask is, my initial thought on this piece is that there's no way the Eagles would franchise Jackson, because Larry Fitzgerald's contract so utterly skews the top-5 average that it would be insane for anyone to tag any WR. (And therefore the ESPN piece could be seen to have a complete lack of research/thought).

BUT, to confirm the numbers I looked at the Fitz deal again. Technically his "salary" is only 5 million. But he's due a 6 million roster bonus, and with all the other stuff his cap hit is 21 million.

I have to think that salary for franchise tag purposes would be based on cap hit and not the stated "salary" for a given year... but I really don't know. Anybody else?
RadsRock is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #31
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger Club
RockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger Club
That's a really good question, Rads. I always assumed that they would take total contract / number of years to get the avg. per year. But now that you mention it, maybe they subtract out the guaranteed money before they average it. If anybody has a definitive answer for this, I'd love to hear it.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #32
Hall-of-Famer

Le_Moyne is a glorious beacon of light
Le_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of lightLe_Moyne is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammymvpknight View Post
The Saints better re-sign Brees. That's the only chance of the Saints having Nicks.
I really don't get why everyone is saying that.....

Nicks is going to have a much bigger cap# if he is tagged than if he is signed to a long term deal, that's pretty clear. The franchise has money so it's not like Benson can't afford both Brees and Nicks signing bonus and Nicks is young enough than there is no reason to not give him a long term deal.

Our only problem is cap space and the worst that could happen to us is if we have to play a QB, OL or WR under the franchise tag.
Le_Moyne is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #33
Thread Killer Moderator

Saint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger Club
Saint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger ClubSaint_Ward 40K Burger Club
Everything you hear will be BS until March 5th. (I believe that's the franchise deadline).

but, it is an obvious fact that if for some unGodly reason we don't re-sign Brees before that day, make no mistake, we will franchise him to keep negotiating towards a long term deal.
Saint_Ward is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #34
Refusing to backpedal

RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
RadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to beholdRadsRock is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnSaint View Post
That's a really good question, Rads. I always assumed that they would take total contract / number of years to get the avg. per year. But now that you mention it, maybe they subtract out the guaranteed money before they average it. If anybody has a definitive answer for this, I'd love to hear it.
I've searched around a bit and haven't come up with an answer... even a reference from the CBA just said "salary".

But I did learn about a change under the new CBA; perhaps this has been discussed but I haven't been on the boards much lately.

Quote:
In the past, the one-year franchise tag salary was an average of the top five salaries at a player's position. Now, that salary will be an average of the top five salaries over the past five years.
Did not know that. That will dramatically blunt the "Fitzgerald Effect" I was talking about above.
RadsRock is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #35
Gonzo Moderator

RockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger Club
RockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger ClubRockyMtnSaint 50K Burger Club
I *think* that generally when they talk about "salary" it's the total contract minus guaranteed money. You'd have to look in the CBA for the definition of the word salary.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #36
Back to the drawing board

GoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
GoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerGoldRush26 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le_Moyne View Post
I really don't get why everyone is saying that.....

Nicks is going to have a much bigger cap# if he is tagged than if he is signed to a long term deal, that's pretty clear. The franchise has money so it's not like Benson can't afford both Brees and Nicks signing bonus and Nicks is young enough than there is no reason to not give him a long term deal.

Our only problem is cap space and the worst that could happen to us is if we have to play a QB, OL or WR under the franchise tag.
I believe they're much more willing to have a larger cap number this year for Nicks than to sign a long term deal that they don't feel is in the Saints best interest.

It's not whether or not the franchise can afford Nicks and Brees. It comes down to where what kind of shape are they in to sign re-sign other veterans like Meachem and Colston, not to mention possible free agents that need to be brought in for the defense. There's a limited amount of money and signing Nicks long-term hamstrings a lot of those options available to us.

And I happen to agree with the guy you quoted. The only way we can keep Nicks is to sign Drew Brees first. Once Nicks hits the open market I believe he's a goner. Other teams will offer big bucks, more than the Saints can offer. I don't see what advantage the Saints have in slapping the tag on Drew Brees. He's a top 3 QB of the past 10 years. This organization hasn't had much experience in dealing with this kind of a star but they're on the verge of mismanaging this whole thing. They can't haggle for too much longer.

The franchise tag is a huge waste if it's used on Drew Brees. We know he's staying here, he knows he's staying here. On the other hand, I don't think they've made a decision on Nicks, so it would make much more sense to use it on him.
GoldRush26 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
Hall-of-Famer

SuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to behold
SuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to beholdSuperRemo is a splendid one to behold
If this happens, Loomis is an utter idiot for allowing Brees to play out this season. This should've been done in 2010.

We lose Nicks/and or colston if we franchise Brees and tie up 18 M on the cap..
SuperRemo is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Payton+Ryan+Brees=SB

SaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger Club
SaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammymvpknight View Post
Pretty much.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #39
dd
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

dd is a glorious beacon of light
dd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of lightdd is a glorious beacon of light
2012 Franchise Tag on QB's is $16M. The team could save a bundle in dollars but lose more than ever with Drew and the fans. One advantage Drew would have is that he would not have to show up until the week before the first game. I think Sean would have a big problem with that and his problem would not be with Drew.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #40
Super Forum Fanatic

Professor has disabled reputation
Relax. It's ESPN.

1) I have a very good feeling about this year the way I did in '09.
2) Roger Goodell is still an idiot.
Professor is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #41
Hall-of-Famer

Firecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Firecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFirecross is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Your first mistake was turning on ESPN. This is the same sports network that spent 25 mins last monday talking about how big the Jets logo was on the NY newspaper the day after the Giants winning the SB because they wanted to show NY "hey, the Jets are still here!" It was honestly the dumbest discussion/story I have ever seen, it was so bad that you had to just watch to see how dumb the discussion could go.
Firecross is online now Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
WHO DAT !!!!

SAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
SAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Those who have Sirus Radio know Pat Kirwan A former GM..He Just said he'd sign Carl Nick's An let both WR's Colston an R.Meachum go.He said Jimmy Graham Is our main Offensive weapon,an we could sign a rookie WR or FA..Man his opinion kills me because #12 is my Favorite Saints player but I have to agree with him.