Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Old 03-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Camp Body

60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Derek Wolfe

The Saints will have to upgrade the DT position, and I think Derek Wolfe would be a good fit for what Spags likes to do. When Spags was with the Giants, he tended to go after tall, rangy DTs who could rush the passer (i.e. Barry Coefield). Wolfe is a guy who has flown under-the-radar despite his impressive play inside, particularly against the pass. Last season, he had 9.5 sacks. The good thing is, Wolfe is no one-trick pony. He plays the run very well and does a solid job of using leverage. Overall, he is guy who plays with a mean streak and a non-stop motor, and is relentless in pursuit. The good thing is, he's projected as a third rounder, though some have him listed as a late second. I think he's a guy we should definitely consider targeting in the draft and believe that he could contribute immediately to our defense even if as a backup.

60minutes is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Visible minority

guillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Club
guillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Club
My biggest concern right now is the nose tackle. It is an urban legend around here that Spags don't use big tacles. Not true.

I am hoping that sooner then later we will have money to re-sign Rogers and/or Franklin.

I am very curious also about Sedrick Ellis. I was expecting more of him last season, specially since he was playing next to capable nose tackles. Forget about being a star, I am starting to doubt his qualifications as a starter, specially with the salary he is commanding.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
Camp Body

60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo View Post
My biggest concern right now is the nose tackle. It is an urban legend around here that Spags don't use big tacles. Not true.

I am hoping that sooner then later we will have money to re-sign Rogers and/or Franklin.

I am very curious also about Sedrick Ellis. I was expecting more of him last season, specially since he was playing next to capable nose tackles. Forget about being a star, I am starting to doubt his qualifications as a starter, specially with the salary he is commanding.
A couple points:

1. I will agree on the urban legend to a degree. I do not think Spags scheme is opposed to big tackles. But if you look at the players brought in under his watch (i.e. Coefield, Canty), then they tended to be big and rangy. By no means are either of them small. I do not think Spags would be against Rogers, and I fully expect him to be back in the fold. Rocky Bernard was short and squatty; but he was already there when Spags arrived. Linval Joseph, a bigger NT, came after Spags was gone. I think Spags does not mind having a big NT, but I think he wants the player to have some length to him.

2. I still have faith in Sedrick Ellis. While I do not ever think he'll become an elite defender, I do think he can be very good. I actually would like to see Ellis play more NT. When he has played there, he has played well. I think part of his struggles has been the constant change in scheme and coaches. He's had three D-line coaches in his brief tenure though Bill Johnson is very good and should help him continue to develop. Gregg Williams seem to ask his defensive linemen to do different things at different times and was more interested, it seemed, in his front four opening up opportunities for his linebackers, corners, and safeties to blitz. I am interested in the way Spags will use him. Ellis is powerfully built and a guy who should be making a difference up front.

You know, it's funny. What a difference a few years makes. When we drafted Ellis, he and Dorsey were considered to be arguably the best prospects in the draft and certainly at the tackle position. Then you get Suh and McCoy. While I am not much of a fan of McCoy, Suh is legit despite his anger managament issues. I say this to say that it would have been wonderful if the year we added a DT, it would have been Suh. Wrong year. Still, Ellis should be productive and it will be up to Spags to get him to play to his potential.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #4
More than 15K posts served!

meily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
meily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famermeily is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
A couple points:

1. I will agree on the urban legend to a degree. I do not think Spags scheme is opposed to big tackles. But if you look at the players brought in under his watch (i.e. Coefield, Canty), then they tended to be big and rangy. By no means are either of them small. I do not think Spags would be against Rodgers, and I fully expect him to be back in the fold. Rocky Bernard was short and squatty; but he was already there when Spags arrived. Linval Joseph, a bigger NT, came after Spags was gone. I think Spags does not mind having a big NT, but I think he wants the player to have some length to him.

2. I still have faith in Sedrick Ellis. While I do not ever think he'll become an elite defender, I do think he can be very good. I actually would like to see Ellis play more NT. When he has played there, he has played well. I think part of his struggles has been the constant change in scheme and coaches. He's had three D-line coaches in his brief tenure though Bill Johnson is very good and should help him continue to develop. Gregg Williams seem to ask his defensive linemen to do different things at different times and was more interested, it seemed, in his front four opening up opportunities for his linebackers, corners, and safeties to blitz. I am interested in the way Spags will use him. Ellis is powerfully built and a guy who should be making a difference up front.

You know, it's funny. What a difference a few years makes. When we drafted Ellis, he and Dorsey were considered to be arguably the best prospects in the draft and certainly at the tackle position. Then you get Suh and McCoy. While I am not much of a fan of McCoy, Suh is legit despite his anger managament issues. I say this to say that it would have been wonderful if the year we added a DT, it would have been Suh. Wrong year. Still, Ellis should be productive and it will be up to Spags to get him to play to his potential.

Sedrick Ellis is not a pass rushing DT, he is a hustle player who is strong and stout. In 2010 he had 60+ tackles and 6 sacks (people seem to forget this) but people seem (as well they should) to only remember how this year went...I think putting him at NT and drafting a player (which I think the plan is) who is known as a disrupter, a guy who plays the run on the way to the quarterback will be in the plans for the Saints, they will target these kind of players to put on the dline.
meily is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Banned

Hey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura aboutHey BAY BAY!!! has a spectacular aura about
Ellis seems to have took a step back. We need to get younger, quicker, and stronger at the DT position.

Cut Ellis...Rogers(lazy)...sign Franklin fr one more year. I like Swanson Miller and Tom Johnson in the middle to replace Ellis and Rogers...
Hey BAY BAY!!! is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
Camp Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey BAY BAY!!! View Post
Ellis seems to have took a step back. We need to get younger, quicker, and stronger at the DT position.

Cut Ellis...Rogers(lazy)...sign Franklin fr one more year. I like Swanson Miller and Tom Johnson in the middle to replace Ellis and Rogers...
I think cutting Ellis would be a mistake and a rash decision. While he has not lived up to expectations, he has played well for the most part except for last season. And given that we do not know what the scheme called for him to do, it is difficult to judge his play. The one thing I can say is that we did play the run well in the middle of the defense. Again, I think he can be effective and he might better be served moving to NT. I think we need a quicker, gap-shooting 3-tech.

I liked Ellis coming out of USC a lot. But one of the things that concerned me in terms of his playing the 3-tech--same true of Dorsey--is both lacked the sort of speed we saw with Warren Sapp. Ellis is quick, but does not have the elite quickness inside. At NT, his quickness becomes an asset. At the 3-tech, he is average to slightly above average. But when you have a guys like Dontarrio Poe and Derek Wolfe running similar times at Ellis--albeit at a bigger size--that has to concern you in terms of how much of a quick, penetrating tackle he can be from the 3 position.

I do like Swansom Miller and Tom Johnson a lot. I like what I saw out of Miller last year, and think both deserve opportunities. I think bringing Rogers back makes sense as you want to have a veteran guy in there. But I would like to see Miller and Johnson raise their profile. Still, we will have to add a player or two in the draft.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #7
Payton+Ryan+Brees=SB

SaintSproles 60K Burger Club
SaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

I would keep Rogers over Franklin.

Franklin was a free agent bust, based on what we were hearing about him before he arrived.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Rookie

Regulater is an unknown quantity at this point
didnt swanson miller sign with some one else, tampa maybe
Regulater is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki

CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Um, cut Ellis. He isn't good at anything, playing the run or the pass. His only chance to get pressure is to get under the pads of lineman because he's shorter, and he can't seem to do that. Once a defender gets their hands on him, it's over. And that seems to be easy because he has to have some of the shortest hands in the NFL. It just makes shedding blocks too hard for him.

He's mostly been 3-tech and besides his rookie year, he hasn't excelled there (yes, even last year). After this long, if a player isn't good yet, he probably won't be good. Moving him to NT isn't the answer either. Why not bring back Franklin who is a better NT and will be cheaper?

Let's all just admit it, we missed out on him when we traded up and drafted him. Cut your losses and move on.
CaliSaint4Life is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #10
Very Banned

DownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to behold
DownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to behold
I like Wolfe, but I think the way things are looking at this point, he doesn't fit what we'll need in the 2nd/3rd round of the draft... Depnding on which picks we have... if either.

If we retain our 2nd rounder and lose our 3rd rounder this year to the bounty scandal (which I suspect will happen) then I'd prefer to grab either Brandon Thompson out of Clemson or Jerel Worthy out of MSU with our 2nd rounder. I think we need a younger guy weighing over 300lbs with some real strength on our DL.

IMO, Wolfe is very similar to a player we already have our roster... Tom Johnson.

My pick for "break out defensive player" next season... Tom Johnson.
DownWithDisease is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Very Banned

DownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to behold
DownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to beholdDownWithDisease is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulater View Post
didnt swanson miller sign with some one else, tampa maybe

We cut him and he signed with Tampa's PS...

Then they cut him from their PS, and we brought him back.

"BIG SWAN" Baby!!!!!!!!!

He and "Momma's Boy" are going to make the team next season. Watch.
DownWithDisease is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
gulf war vet

LOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to all
LOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to allLOONEY is a name known to all
love it lets get him we can rebuild the snow patrol and win a second superbowl

Old 03-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
Not a part of your system

NOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to behold
NOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to beholdNOFALCONS10 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliSaint4Life View Post
Um, cut Ellis. He isn't good at anything, playing the run or the pass. His only chance to get pressure is to get under the pads of lineman because he's shorter, and he can't seem to do that. Once a defender gets their hands on him, it's over. And that seems to be easy because he has to have some of the shortest hands in the NFL. It just makes shedding blocks too hard for him.

He's mostly been 3-tech and besides his rookie year, he hasn't excelled there (yes, even last year). After this long, if a player isn't good yet, he probably won't be good. Moving him to NT isn't the answer either. Why not bring back Franklin who is a better NT and will be cheaper?

Let's all just admit it, we missed out on him when we traded up and drafted him. Cut your losses and move on.

ellis has short arms.

That's what makes shedding blocks difficult for him, but i know what you mean. Akeim hicks doesn't have that problem. As for NT, looks like we might be trying to fill that void with Bunkley.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki

CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFALCONS10 View Post
ellis has short arms.

That's what makes shedding blocks difficult for him, but i know what you mean. Akeim hicks doesn't have that problem. As for NT, looks like we might be trying to fill that void with Bunkley.
Ya, I typed hands but I meant arms.

Regardless, he's about as good as he's gonna get.
CaliSaint4Life is offline Reply With Quote