New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 09-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki

CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Drew Brees: Arm Strength

Couple of tidbits via twitter:
Quote:
greggrosenthal
Drew Brees? Seems like it. RT @smartfootball Have any high profile quarterbacks significantly and noticeably improved their arm strength?
Quote:
FO_ASchatz
I would say both Brees and Brady @smartfootball Have any high profile quarterbacks significantly and noticeably improved their arm strength?
I thought this to be pretty interesting. Gregg Rosenthal works for ProFootballTalk and Aaron Schatz is the Editor-in-Chief for FootballOutsiders.com. Both of them mentioned that Drew has increased his arm strength. Most people tend to say that Drew has average arm strength but makes up for it with timing and pinpoint accuracy. It makes me wonder, is this actually true or is it something that has followed him from college and has just carried on?

In my opinion, Drew doesn't have elite arm strength but I've never thought it to be a weakness either. I do know I watched him throw a 55-yard (79-yards after the run) bomb to Devery yesterday that was as about a pretty pass as you'll see.

If I see any more discussion on it, I'll add it to this thread.
CaliSaint4Life is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Official gum of champions

ChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
ChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerChopperSaint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
He has increased his arm strength from last season because his knee is better.
But it is no stronger now then it was 2 years ago.
ChopperSaint is online now Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
More than 15K posts served!

bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Drew worked very hard over the years to increase his arm strength. But what people don't understand is that it has little to do with "arm" strength but more to do with Core body strength and lower leg power. Most of the power comes from his set position when he is ready to throw. The power generated from his back foot is transferred to his throwing arm.

If he had to stand flat footed, I doubt Brees could throw it very far, yet Cutler could probably hum that sucker 80 yards.

But who is the better QB?

Brees is a master at the art of quarterbacking, all that trivial crap like arm strength and "he can throw a ball 60 yards on his knees!" is just water cooler talk.

10 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
Hall-of-Famer

the-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
the-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
As Phil Simms (not a Saint lover by any means) said during the broadcast of Superbowl XLIV: "He (Brees) doesn't have the most powerful arm...big deal. He's accurate and timely with the football."
the-commish is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM   #5
Pro-Bowler

Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!Slidell Mike is a BEAST!
Brees has average arm strength just like Joe Montana had average arm strength. It's plenty good enough when you have the smarts to quickly read defenses, have great accuracy, excellent pocket presence, and a top offensive scheme.
Slidell Mike is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
Pro-Bowler

BnGfan is on a distinguished roadBnGfan is on a distinguished roadBnGfan is on a distinguished roadBnGfan is on a distinguished roadBnGfan is on a distinguished roadBnGfan is on a distinguished roadBnGfan is on a distinguished road
I don't know how significant throwing distance is in the NFL. Most deep routes only go 15-20 yards. Even on the "go route", if the ball isn't out of your hands after the receiver has gone about 30 yards its probably a little late to throw the ball anyway. And that is because of the speed of the defense and the breakdown of protection in the pocket. Very rarely can a QB have time to throw 50 yards unless there is a 3 man rush or something like that.

A QB just needs to be able to get the ball out of his hands with zip and accuracy to be efficient. Drew Brees has plenty zip and accuracy on his throws and MORE than enough arm strength.

BnGfan is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki

CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
CaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of FamerCaliSaint4Life is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
I think from a QB's perspective, arm strength matters more when you are talking about how quickly you can get the ball into a receivers hands from the time it leaves your hands, versus how far you can throw it.

Look at Farve for example, he relied almost solely on arm strength at times because his throws were made at such a velocity that in most cases for other QBs, it's an INT. On the flipside, arm strength, at times, can lead to over-confidence (Farve is the all time leader in INTs also). I recall Cutler having the same problem.

Regardless despite the fact that I think Drew's arm strength is just fine, he couple that with intangible things. For example, if he needs the ball the get to a target really quick, he'll shorten his throwing motion where other QBs will add velocity. Two routes to the same destination.

I always wondered that if the lack for measurables (height, arm strength, etc) are part of the reason for Drew's success. Maybe it gives him an edge. Just glad he's in black and gold.
CaliSaint4Life is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
Brees' arm strength has improved since he was drafted. Same for Brady. Neither of them were known for having big arms, but you watch them both now and they can make every throw in the book.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
SR is my life!

Joseph Guidry is an Sr.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Joseph Guidry is an Sr.com Hall of FamerJoseph Guidry is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
The bottom line is Drew can make all the throws NFL QBs are required to make. He doesn't have John Elway type arm strength, but, then again, neither did Joe Montana. The bottom line is there's a lot of ways to skin a cat, and Drew has found ways to get around average arm strength. He's got plenty enough zip on the ball to do what he wants to do on the field, and, as many have said, his intangibles more than make up for not having the cannon.
Joseph Guidry is online now Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
I'm all in

TenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
TenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of FamerTenTwo is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
How much stronger does your arm have to be when you throw perfect spirals 60 yards down the field?
TenTwo is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #11
Payton+Ryan+Brees=SB

SaintSproles 60K Burger Club
SaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger ClubSaintSproles 60K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

When his mechanics are right, his arm strength is more than adequate but of course he is so accurate that he doesn't need to have much more strength than what he possesses.

But you can tell how weak his arm strength is when under duress and he doesn't get to step into the throw properly. Someone like Rodgers can get off a pretty strong throw even on a backfoot or falling to the ground. But the question is how often do you actually need to do that? Luckily for the Saints, Drew has this type of throw maybe once or twice a game (some games not at all).

Not a issue whatsoever. But if Drew didn't have good protection, the weakness of his arm would certainly show up.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
Hall-of-Famer

Puntz is a glorious beacon of light
Puntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of lightPuntz is a glorious beacon of light
My wife is a sugical tech and she is in the OR on a lot of orthopedic surgeries. After she read Drew's book, she told me most people with the same type of injury he had get one or two staples. If they are doing 3 staples, the OR usually has invited Dr's and students persent (holy crap, i gotta see this!)

Drew has SEVEN staples in his shoulder. A great white couldn't pull that arm off. The joint is stronger than it was, so building up the muscle mass could give him a stronger throw than pre-op.
Puntz is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
So much 4 being rusty

Deuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura aboutDeuuuuce has a spectacular aura about
Brees is one of the best deep passers in the league and he has been for a while. The bomb he completed to Devery yesterday was one of the best passes i've ever seen him make in his career. His mechanics and his release were absolutely perfect and that resulted in a perfect ball. The placement and velocity couldn't have been better. Scary thing is that Brees usually gets better and better as the season rolls along. I look forward to watching it.
Deuuuuce is offline Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #14
Pro-Bowler

flyguy8558 is on a distinguished roadflyguy8558 is on a distinguished roadflyguy8558 is on a distinguished road
I never understood why people questioned his arm strength!! At one of the pro bowl competitions when he was with San Diego he threw 67 yards in the deep ball competition