New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Google Ads
Latest Poll
It's been reported that Graham is looking for $12 mill/yr. You are Loomis, what would you do?
Give him the 12 mill per year
Give him Gronkowski money plus a little bit
Franchise tag him as a TE
Franchise tag him as a WR
Franchise tag him and try to trade him
Let him walk
Sponsored Ads

Old 04-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #71
Le Grande Fromarge

tomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to behold
tomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to beholdtomdda is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashburn falcon View Post
Mayock's take: "He couldn't play at LSU, went back to Canada, and he dominates at every level. He's huge and is stout at the point."

and before you say for me to finish reading the rest of the quote. all I have to say is.....oh Canada.
Let's see.......couldn't.......didn't. Couldn't.....didn't. Seems like 2 different words to me. Our scouting department finds players that win playoff games, does yours?
tomdda is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #72
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

new city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura aboutnew city champ has a spectacular aura about
Chad, thanks for the input. When you play against a guy twice a year, of course you develop a take on him and appreciate getting yours. It's a lot more information than anyone else around here has about Hicks.

A couple of points. The reports I've read about him indicate he had a pretty pedestrian first year at Regina when you played against him, but was much better his second year. Any thoughts on that?

Second, he obviously went up some draft boards based on his post-season play and practice at the Shrine game, where he dominated against elite college players. Sometimes when a guy is a big fish in a small pond (like Regina) he ends up getting so much attention from opposing squads that it's hard to get an accurate read on his ability. Then when he goes to an all star game and he's just another guy going one-on-one he can show more of his stuff. This is why some guys pop up at these post-season games.

Some folks have said they trust the Saints scouting department and I do to. But let's not be blind to history. We've done a great job drafting offensive guys in the middle or later rounds, not so much drafting defensive guys in the middle rounds. Several of our mid-round offensive picks have ended up being Pro-Bowlers, which is outstanding. Several of our mid-round defensive picks have ended up being cut or released from the squad and never making an impact, which is pretty poor drafting.

I hope Hicks is the guy that breaks this trend.
new city champ is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #73
Rookie

Chad1886 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbleedgold View Post
Do you think with good coaching, that he has potential? He sure has the size.
I do. From what i gathered from in his first year at Regina, of course we all talked about him before during and after playing him bc he was a monster from LSU. We gameplanned for him hard! but come halftime we felt we didnt need to. Didnt get to face him in his second year which he couldve devoloped more.
But what i did see what a slow first step, stood up straight, bull rush, powerful huge human being.
and i did get to see that because he also was put out at end where i would backside block him or double team w the tackle drive block.
I know all this from first hand, teammates, and film study.
Thanks for the positive posts guys!
In coaching careers i think they feel refreshed when they actually get to come in and mold a talent from nothing into something. i feel thats why Vitt and Spags love it bc they will actually have to roll up the sleeves and really help him along. He has a lot of work ahead. Hopin for the best.
Chad1886 is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #74
the dude in the selfie

Zack Lee 60K Burger Club
Zack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger ClubZack Lee 60K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDiesel View Post
Well they are always excited by our picks and should be. But in a draft where we had few picks we needed to make them count. And this just wasn't a guy on the list, this was OUR guy. If he wasn't there we would have traded back. Listening to the amount of predraft work they did on this one prospect tells me this is Spags version of Jimmy Graham.

And I respect the OP's opinion, I didn't red thumb him or anything. I'm sure he played him and honestly the people pulling up all the info and stats about him is kinda ridiculous. I just have faith in our scouting staffs and Spags ability as a coach. If this were GW still I would be slightly worried but this is Steve Spagnuleaux, he ***** great defensive linemen.

One thing about the OP's observation. He played him in 2010 but not 2011. After coming from JUCO Hicks was probably everything he said. But he has obviously shown improvement which means he's coachable and dedicated. Never bet against anyone that has taken the hard way to achieve their dream.
I got you. I just was pointing out that offering that quote alone does not discredit anything the OP said. I would be shocked if they ever said that they did not get their guy or that nobody in the war room agreed. As a whole it is a given that every single year without fail, the average reaction to picks outside the first three rounds will be over-expectation. Not all of us, but that is just the nature of all the hoping we do at this time of year. There is a reason guys last to the third though and for me, I will hold off until I see him in camp and I will leave room to be pleasantly surprised by him. Thankfully, our present draft brain trust has left me pleasantly surprised almost exponentially more often than any previous regime.
Zack Lee is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #75
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

No2DC is marching in
No2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching inNo2DC is marching in
Curb the enthusiasm everybody! We have yet to find a gem on D in a while. Guys have flashed potential-- Junior, Tez-- but we have yet to find a Coltson or Jimmy caliber player after the 2nd round on D. Maybe Spags will be the difference, but the truth is that we struggle on the D side of the ball when it comes to mid to late picks.
No2DC is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #76
Anti-Skittle Brigade

REBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the rough
REBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the roughREBEL_SOUL is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by No2DC View Post
Curb the enthusiasm everybody! We have yet to find a gem on D in a while. Guys have flashed potential-- Junior, Tez-- but we have yet to find a Coltson or Jimmy caliber player after the 2nd round on D. Maybe Spags will be the difference, but the truth is that we struggle on the D side of the ball when it comes to mid to late picks.
Good point. Long and Quinn played well against us. I am hoping Spags brings that same spark to the D. I believe Galette and Wilson will likely develop and excel, along with some other guys, under Spags, more so than: we know who. I like the Hicks pick. Personally, I don't but into the "Hicks is a reach" philosophy. In my eyes there is no such thing as 'a reach' in the 3rd Round and beyond; where ultimately every pick is a gamble in some way or fashion. Some publications had Jimmy Graham listed low than we was drafted, was he a reach too?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #77
Thanks MJ!

Flipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger Club
Flipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger ClubFlipx99 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMcAllisterFan View Post
Bison Sports

Here's a list of Manitoba's roster. There are no FB listed named Chad.
Then again, if you look at the payroll from my work you will not find a Flip either.
Flipx99 is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #78
Mostly Harmless

dave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
dave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdave_09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashburn falcon View Post
Mayock's take: "He couldn't play at LSU, went back to Canada, and he dominates at every level. He's huge and is stout at the point."

and before you say for me to finish reading the rest of the quote. all I have to say is.....oh Canada.

They wanted to him to play at LSU. He couldn't play because of off the field issues.

dave_09 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #79
JSR
All-Pro

JSR is marching in
JSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching inJSR is marching in
Are you sure Mayock meant "he couldn't play at LSU" as "because he couldn't play," or was he just saying "he couldn't play at LSU [because of recruiting violations we can't really mention here]" as artfully as possible?
JSR is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #80
Super Forum Fanatic

DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
Huge dude. Everything I hear wrong with him can be coached out of him. Give him some situations and time.

25 of us went into the jungle that night, only 5 came back out.
DaveinCoalinga is online now Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #81
Hall-of-Famer

Filaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to behold
Filaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1886 View Post
Yes I'm lying blowing "hot air" bc I love to go on forums and makeup stories. His number was 99 their other ends were 45 and 90. Hicks played inside and outside. I faced him when he played on the edge. #30 fullback university of Manitoba. Played them 2 a year. I think my team and I know a lot more than you. I'm a die hard saints but this was one pick me and my buddies would joke about all the time. Might as well bring back walter Thomas. Develop him he can do backflips. (sarcasm)
You faced Hicks team twice a year you couldn't bring up names with those jersey numbers you called out.
Filaphill is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #82
Rookie

Chad1886 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filaphill View Post
You faced Hicks team twice a year you couldn't bring up names with those jersey numbers you called out.
Brooks and st Pierre? How have I not proved myself by now haha. Wow.
Chad1886 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #83
this girl luvs the saints

saints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Club
saints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Clubsaints4eva 40K Burger Club
Seriously, people need to chill already.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #84
Hall-of-Famer

Filaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to behold
Filaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to beholdFilaphill is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad1886 View Post
Brooks and st Pierre? How have I not proved myself by now haha. Wow.
OK, would you say Hicks is a guy that can be easily blocked out.
Filaphill is offline Reply With Quote