Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 04-14-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Jive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Jive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Lightbulb Last years draft, plus a 2017 mock draft (LONG)

The Saints have a weird, but great draft slot. Pick #11 is where the premium defensive talent could be gone, but there are lots of possibilities. Washington, Houston, or Arizona could trade up to #11 to get their guy before the Browns. We do have a history of trades with Washington.

We can stand strong and hope that CB Marshon Lattimore or DE Soloman Thomas slide. The most realistic scenario is we take a player at #11 who the draft pundits will call a reach. This draft has 50+ players graded as second rounders. We will have to reach for Defensive Backs and Pass Rushers.

In 3 years no one will remember where these players were drafted. Production and ability are the only numbers that matter. In order to find the right prospects I focus on athletic traits, production, and give team captains extra points.

I am lucky with systems. In 2016 I drafted alongside the Saints in real time. No hindsight 20/20 stuff. I picked as Loomis picked. Here is the link to the original thread, but here is a quick overview.

How analytics would've screwed up this draft.

12 WR Josh Doctson 6'2" 200- Injuries derailed his rookie year. Still supremely talented.

47 CB Sean Davis 6'1" 200- A rookie starter for the Steelers. Looks great. He plays CB and SS. Won rookie of the year for them.

78 DT Javon Hargrave 6'1" 310 Another rookie starter for the Steelers. Hes dominant. What a steal for them.

112 OG Connor McGovern Missouri. - Nothing as a rookie, but the Broncos coaches love him and he is fighting for a starting spot this year.

152 LB Jatavis Brown 5'11" 225 4.38 Akron Jatavis is the steal of the draft. He won Pepsi rookie of the week a few times. Hes a young Sam Mills for the Chargers. He should have been a Saint.

237 RB Daniel Lasco. Hes a solid special teamer. A former WR that I hoped would contribute in the passing game. My others were WR Robby Anderson or WR Mitch Mathews here. Anderson had a great rookie year for the Jets. I think Mathews is on the 49ers.

Ive had good luck with my picks for the last few years. Heres a simple mock draft for 2017. Im no TruSaint. This is my one and only.

SAINTS MOCK DRAFT 2017

Round 1, pick 11 - CB/SS Obi Melifonwu 64 220 - Incredible size and agility. He is an excellent overall athlete. He is a rare DB that can physically match up with Julio Jones, Mike Evans, etc. The NFC South is full of freakishly large/fast WRs.

His floor is a joker defender similar to S Kenny Vaccaro. His ceiling is redefining the CB position prototype. Either way he plays a lot of snaps for a defense that needs speed and size.

ALT: CB Kevin King

Round 1, pick 32 - DE Jordan Willis 63 255 - He has the total package. Size, speed, everything. He looks like a stronger version of Javon Kearse. Very polished and patient player. I enjoy watching him out hustle the offensive players.

I see a lot of draftniks projecting him to the second round. I don't understand it. I take him at 32 and watch as he develops into the best DE in this draft. It might take a year like Vic Beasley, but the skill and work ethic is there.

ALT: EDGE T.J. Watt

Round 2, Pick 10 (42nd overall) - FS/CB Desmond King 510 200 - Good zone corner. Tremendous instincts, and will be a team leader fast. He should switch to FS like Malcolm Jenkins. At FS he can be dominant, but also fill in at CB in case of injuries. He's a shorter and better tackling version of Malcolm Jenkins. A steal in the second round.

ALT: FS Marcus Williams

Round 3, Pick 12 (76th overall) - TE Bucky Hodges 67 260 - Super fast. Looks and plays like a more physical Jimmy Graham. Hed be a midseason starter with Payton calling plays.

ALT: RB Donta Foreman

Round 3, Pick 39 (103rd overall) - WR Chris Godwin 6'1" 210 - Great blocker who loves the dirty work of playing WR. He has 4.4 deep speed and high points the ball on contested catches.

He is what Robert Meachem was at his peak, but Godwin will get better. I love this kid. One of the best WRs in this draft. A steal in the 3rd.

ALT: RB Jeremy Mcnichols

Past the top 100 its almost impossible to predict player availability, but here goes...

Round 6, Pick 12 (196th overall) S Xavier Woods 5'11" 200 - Smart man. Great work ethic. Very agile athlete. Can be over aggressive and miss tackles. He will excel on special teams. A high potential player.

Round 7, Pick 11 (229th overall) WR Robert Davis 6'3" 220 - Big, fast physical freak. A boom or bust type that we should draft late to increase team speed.

Those are my draft targets. It doesnt address OT, but the OL in this draft are horrible. Id grab a few UDFA offensive linemen. Id love to draft another pass rusher, but I think they will go fast. DBs are our biggest need. Vaccaro and Rafael Bush are both Free Agents next year. Lets plan ahead.

Also we grabbed two players late in 2016 who could excel in our defense. I consider these guys part of our 2017 rookie class.

WLB Travis Feeney 64 230 - Tremendous athlete. Smart. Primarily a coverage LB, but has the ability to blitz. I liked him in the draft last year. Glad that we stole him off the Steelers Practice Squad as they geared up for a playoff run.

High potential player. He could be the WLB starter once Ellerbe gets hurt.

DE/DT Justin Zimmer 63 290 - Highest sparq score for all 2016 DL rookies. A powerful, explosive player with short arms. NOFalcons thinks he should be converted to a Justin Smith type of power DE. Zimmer could thrive in that role.

Thanks for reading all this. I dont normally do mock drafts, but I had free time today. I hope someone digs it. It took me a while. There are a lot of smart readers on here. Let me know what yall think.

Have a great day,

Josh

27 out of 31 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
Pro-Bowler

natedogg02 is marching in
natedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching innatedogg02 is marching in
Enjoyed, thanks for taking the time
natedogg02 is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

kennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to behold
kennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to behold
NO. You drafted everybody wayyyyy before they are projected to go, if you draft Obi at #11 you might as well have traded all the way down and got something because he will still be there. I do like Godwin, it would be like having 2 Michael Thomas on the field.

\"Me I want whats coming to me?\"/ Whats that tony?/ The world chico and everything in it!\"

SCARFACE

-

GOD BLESS YOU ALL
kennydfresh is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:02 PM   #4
Rookie

SaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popularSaintsSwag is becoming pretty popular
Great read man, its posts like this that makes saints report so good
SaintsSwag is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #5
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Jive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Jive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJive Saint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedogg02 View Post
Enjoyed, thanks for taking the time

Thank you for reading the whole thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsSwag View Post
Great read man, its posts like this that makes saints report so good

Thank you. Statements like that make me want to write more sports stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydfresh View Post
NO. You drafted everybody wayyyyy before they are projected to go, if you draft Obi at #11 you might as well have traded all the way down and got something because he will still be there. I do like Godwin, it would be like having 2 Michael Thomas on the field.

Ideally I would trade down, but I didn't want to muddy the waters with trades. Mock drafts are confusing enough.

I agree Godwin could be the missing piece to our run game. And he's a great WR.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #6
Krispy Kreme

Rdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club Member
Rdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club MemberRdanderson91 Prestigious Gold Club Member
I'm thinking instead of two WRs, swap Godwin with Curtis Samuel who can play the scat back role with blinding speed. Then take the other WR later like you have. But still good read thanks
It's picked off! It's picked off! It's Tracy Porter again! He's runnin' free! He's gonna go all the way! Hand outstretched...and it's a Saint touchdown! Seventy yards on the return! Seventy yards on the return by Porter! He did it to Favre, and now he's done it to Manning!
Rdanderson91 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #7
Super Forum Fanatic

Saint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club Member
Saint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club Member
11. I'm high on Melifonwu, but 11 seems pretty high. I don't think we would take him at 11, but that's just my opinion. If they think he's worth it, then I'm all for it. I don't know if any player in the draft as much potential.

32. Love Willis here. I think he could turn into a top pass rusher with the right coaching. Watt would be solid too.

42. Would be cool with King or Williams, but brings me back to Melifonwu. Don't think we would pick 2 safeties in the first 3 picks. But maybe they see one of them as a corner. Idk.

76. Hodges has Jimmy Graham type athleticism and potential. Just seems a little raw, but so was Jimmy. Would also be cool with D'onta Foreman here.

103. I would be alright with Godwin, but I would prefer McNichols. If we don't get McCaffrey or one of the top RBs, McNichols is who I'm hoping for.

I'm hoping for Samson Ebukam or Jordan Evans with our 6th round pick.

Robert Davis seems to be worth taking a shot on in the 7th.

Overall, I like it. Good job.

Saint Ace is online now Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #8
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanderson91 View Post
I'm thinking instead of two WRs, swap Godwin with Curtis Samuel who can play the scat back role with blinding speed. Then take the other WR later like you have. But still good read thanks

That makes a lot of sense, but Godwin could be the best WR in this draft. I like him that much. Samuel will also be a good WR. He could thrive here. Plus he could give 5 snaps a game at RB. I'd be happy with Samuel also.

The more I think about it. Lasco is a former WR. I wonder what is Payton's vision for him. Lasco has a year in the system. Good pass protector and a great special teamer. He could be a sleeper on our roster.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:25 PM   #9
Super Forum Fanatic

Saint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club Member
Saint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Ace Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydfresh View Post
Nobody is guaranteed to still be there. Contrary to some people's belief, teams don't go by CBS's big board.

Saint Ace is online now Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
Administrator

Richard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Richard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club MemberRichard Prestigious Platinum Club Member
I like almost all of the players you took, Josh. I would prefer the alternate picks though with #11, 42 and 103. If the Saints came away from this draft with King, Willis, Williams, Hodges, McNichols, Woods and Davis, I would be very pleased.
Richard is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2017, 10:00 PM   #11
2nd Year Player

dutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Club
dutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Clubdutar76 50K Burger Club
Agree with the Samuels (RB/WR) type instead of 2 WRs. Also like Corey Fuller as a WR and he's already on our team.

Also agree that OT is weak in this draft. Still think we'll take one though. I like Roderick Johnson and Julie'n Davenport mid-to-late.

Not sure we would take Obi at #11... Also not sure he'll be there at #32. So by my own standards... he's not a reach there.

Jordan Willis or Watt. I like either at #32.

Taking 2 safety/CBs... This is hard for me to agree with. We need at least 1 top notch corner. Taking a couple of hybrids scares me a little. I don't think we have anyone on the roster that can run with the speed demons. But I like the versatility it would give us. Safeties start going down... we have extra safeties. CBs start going down, we havev extra corners. I think I'd rather take Sidney Jones over King. But Marcus Williams is a guy I like at safety.

TE... Hodges is as good a candidate as any I guess. Haven't looked at him much. Can he block?

You've addressed almost all of our future needs with this draft and pointed out that we have a couple guys we rostered at the end of last year (Feeney and Zimmer), that could really payoff this season...

Here's to thinking positive and testing negative!!!
dutar76 is online now Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2017, 10:13 PM   #12
Pro-Bowler

wesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to all
wesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to allwesleyTX13 is a name known to all
Last years draft, plus a 2017 mock draft (LONG)

Thank you for the write up. I enjoyed reading it.

I personally hate Obi at #11 and I'd definitely prefer Watt (your alternate) at 32 over Willis. If we got Desmond King then I'd draft a RB with the pick that you used on Woods.
wesleyTX13 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 AM   #13
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

kennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to behold
kennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to beholdkennydfresh is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Ace View Post
Nobody is guaranteed to still be there. Contrary to some people's belief, teams don't go by CBS's big board.
Correct, BUT when he chose Obi and saying we would draft him a 11 its safe to say the player isn't rated that high by anyone, if he would have said ya boy Taco or even Foster you could make the case that those players could be ranked that high but I can bet you 100 dollars to your nothing(I'll pay pal gift it to you) there is no way Obi is going in the top 11. NO WAY!!!

\"Me I want whats coming to me?\"/ Whats that tony?/ The world chico and everything in it!\"

SCARFACE

-

GOD BLESS YOU ALL
kennydfresh is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
All-Pro

jessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
jessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjessy is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
It's interesting that in 2016 you drafted basically the same positions as the Saints, just in a different order. You went WR, CB, DT - Saints went DT, WR, S

The Saints basically drafted the same positions and I think got better players.

DT Rankins > Hargrave
WR Thomas > Doctson
DB Bell = Davis

Just my opinion...
jessy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #15
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy View Post
It's interesting that in 2016 you drafted basically the same positions as the Saints, just in a different order. You went WR, CB, DT - Saints went DT, WR, S

The Saints basically drafted the same positions and I think got better players.

DT Rankins > Hargrave
WR Thomas > Doctson
DB Bell = Davis

Just my opinion...

I'll concede some of that. Here's what I see, but I'm not a professional scout. I did my draft while building a doghouse and periodic trips to Lowes.

DT Rankins = Hargrave - I love them both. Hargrave would be a better fit for us because he's more of a NT. While Rankins is more of a 3T.

WR Thomas > Doctson - Saints won this by a mile. Don't think I ever posted it, but I was lukewarm about MT. Doctson can succeed in this offense, but MT did it at a Pro-Bowl level- in his rookie year. Big win for the Saints.

DB Bell < Davis - Not even close. Sean Davis is much more versatile and dominant. He is similar to Obi and Byron Jones. He's a star player.

The biggest difference is that I didn't trade future picks with the Redskins or Pats.

I got a good young scheme versatile OG in Connor McGovern.

And this is what would make the biggest difference- I got a Sam Mills like dynamic pass rushing LB in Jatavis Brown. Brown is the best LB from the 2016 draft. He would be our best LB on the team.

PS- I'm having fun talking football with everybody, but I'm about to smoke some wild boar ribs and steaks. I'll check back in once I get them smoking good.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.