New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Yeah you rite

Location: Louisiana...the greatest 3rd world country in the whole U.S. of A.
Broadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger Club
Broadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger Club
My assessment of the Wide Receiver position for the 2012 New Orleans Saints

Lance Moore: Under contract. Here to stay. Solid possession receiver who plays with energy. Great hands. Runs great routes. High school receivers should probably watch tape of Moore to learn the position.

Marques Colston: Great size. Average to below average speed. Remarkably for his size, plays primarily the slot position. At times he makes impossible catches. Other times, he makes head-scratching drops. Excellent on third downs and in red zone situations. Has perfected the back-shoulder catch, and seemingly has an other-wordly on-field chemisty with Drew Brees. The latest book on Colston is that he is overvalued. Hopefully, not by the Saints. I think the Saints need to make a serious effort to retain Colston.

Robert Meachem: Blessed with great size and speed. Quiet and unassuming. He's primarily a threat in the deep passing game, but he can go games at a time when he makes no impressionable impact on the game. Catches the ball in his hands when it's thrown above his head, but seemingly only catches the ball with his chest when it's thrown into his body. Lots of drops. Sometimes lacks confidence. Not a great route-runner unless it's a double-move. From internet banter, it seems other teams value Meachem more than we do. That signals to me that the Saints will likely not retain him, as he will probably command more than we're willing to pay at this point.

Devery Henderson: Former speed-demon who used to have terrible hands. Over time he's had to re-invent himself as more of a possession receiver who does the little things well (like down-field/crackback blocking). Has become much more reliable catching the ball, but -- like Meachem -- can have multi-game stretches where he seems to disappear. The Saints have a big decision to make with Devery. I think he'll make more than $3 million this season. His job could be safe if both Colston and Meachem leave. He's also the longest tenured Saint, along with Will Smith.

Courtney Roby: Never really played a role in the Saints' passing game. His playoff fumble on a kickoff in the 49ers playoff game probably spelled the last of a great special teams leader for this team.

Adrian Arrington: Can you believe it? This will be his FIFTH season in professional football. Seems like he's still a rookie. Has height and a little bit of speed. Has never made any impressionable impact on any game with meaning. Let's face it: he really only made the active squad because Joe Morgan was IR'd in the pre-season this past year. However, he could become a capable replacement for Henderson or Meachem, should they leave the Saints this year.

Joe Morgan: Showed the same flashes of greatness in the last pre-season that we're used to seeing from former undrafted rookie free-agents like Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory, Joique Bell, and Rod Harper. Great speed. Good hands. Seems to have a knack for making plays. Like Arrington, he could become a replacement for either Henderson or Meachem. He has a higher mountain to climb than AA, but I think he's more talented.

Randy Moss: The X-factor. A week ago, most of us would have hated the idea of a "locker room cancer" entering the pristine halls of the Saints facility. What a difference a week makes. One of the most talented receivers to ever play the game, Moss possesses great height and length, unrivaled catching ability, and a swagger that often dips into an unmanageable cockiness. Known to take plays off and not get his helmet scratched, he turns off a lot of folks with his boredom of the game sometimes. He probably cannot/will not do a lot of the dirty work that Henderson and Colston will do when the ball is not thrown their way; but if he reverts back to his 2007 form, his downfield abilities might be worth the risk.

My prediction for the 2012 New Orleans Saints Wide Receiver corps:

Marques Colston
Lance Moore
Devery Henderson
Randy Moss
Joe Morgan

Now, make it happen, Loomis!
Broadmoor74 is offline Reply With Quote

11 out of 11 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Scrill

whoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the rough
whoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the roughwhoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the roughwhoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the roughwhoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the roughwhoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the roughwhoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the roughwhoDATnationXLIV is a jewel in the rough
Good summaries.. I had kinda forgot about Joe Morgan, looking forward to him. If we do sign Moss, I wonder what kind of impact Drew will have on him.. I feel like Drew makes people want to play with him.
whoDATnationXLIV is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Pro-Bowler

djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!djf7288 is a BEAST!
Id like to see meach stay
djf7288 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
ad majorem dei gloriam

nosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
nosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famernosaints213 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Joe Morgan reminds me of a less-diva version of DeSean Jackson. Great speed and play making ability.
nosaints213 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Super Forum Fanatic

jbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saint
jbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saintjbourque is a true Saint
Good assessment.

3M still seems steep for Devery. I wonder if the Saints ask him to restructure.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #6
Yeah you rite

Location: Louisiana...the greatest 3rd world country in the whole U.S. of A.
Broadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger Club
Broadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger Club
I also think this: Andy Tanner could make the team as the 6th receiver if he can prove to be a valuable asset on special teams.
Broadmoor74 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Hall-of-Famer

natedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished road
I think Moss is just a smoke screen, I think we sign a mid tier guy to replace Meachem. I don't think other teams are going to pay much for Colston, we all know that its Drew's ball placement that makes Colston the player that he is. Drew makes most of our Wrs look much better than they are. . . . if Meachem and Henderson want to stay an block for cheap I welcome them, but I think this team will be more of the same this year, lots of balls to Sproles and Graham, with possible a bigger emphasis on running the ball if MI can recover well.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #8
Super Forum Fanatic

Brad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Brad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBrad01 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I agree with your assessment except I think there could very well be a 6th WR in there.

Since the middle of the season, I've been guessing that Meachem would be gone. Even during an interview, it didn't seem like he thought he would be re-signing. With his size, speed, and youth... he'll likely get a bigger offer elsewhere. Plus he'll get a bigger role. Randy Moss would be a great replacement for Meachem for the types of players both are.

I think Colston gets re-signed for the exact opposite reason. He's important to the Saints' offensive chemistry. Plus, most teams see him as a possession WR with a knee injury history. His value on the market is probably mediocre. Saints may be able to re-sign him for a deal slightly higher than what Lance got last year.
Brad01 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #9
Very Banned

Sophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to behold
Sophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to beholdSophandros is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog View Post
I think Moss is just a smoke screen, I think we sign a mid tier guy to replace Meachem. I don't think other teams are going to pay much for Colston, we all know that its Drew's ball placement that makes Colston the player that he is. Drew makes most of our Wrs look much better than they are. . . . if Meachem and Henderson want to stay an block for cheap I welcome them, but I think this team will be more of the same this year, lots of balls to Sproles and Graham, with possible a bigger emphasis on running the ball if MI can recover well.
If the Colts let Pierre Garcon walk, does anyone want to pursue him?
Sophandros is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
Veteran Starter

RacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura aboutRacerRyan15x has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophandros View Post
I think he would be a great addition but I do not think we have the cap room for him.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #11
Hall-of-Famer

natedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished roadnatedog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophandros View Post
I like Garcon, but I think he is a similiar player to meachem ? albeit I haven't watched him much. Its hard to say how a given player will work in our system. I could see a guy like Eddie Royal working, has to be a guy that runs nice routes or blocks, has to have great hands also. The reason I could see Moss working ( I don't think we will sign him ) is he is great at runnning deep routes, which opens stuff up for Jimmy and Lance underneath. It will be interesting to see who we sign or resign.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
Very Banned

Bitter Bill is a jewel in the rough
Bitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the roughBitter Bill is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourque View Post
Good assessment.

3M still seems steep for Devery. I wonder if the Saints ask him to restructure.
If both Morgan and AA are healthy and show what they're capable of in camp, we may cut ties with him. This is assuming we sign Moss of course.
Bitter Bill is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #13
All-Pro

Doug5984 is a jewel in the rough
Doug5984 is a jewel in the roughDoug5984 is a jewel in the roughDoug5984 is a jewel in the roughDoug5984 is a jewel in the roughDoug5984 is a jewel in the roughDoug5984 is a jewel in the roughDoug5984 is a jewel in the rough
I have a feeling Arrington will be on the active roster next year, possibly Morgan as well. If that happens we may only bring in 1 FA if we lose both Colston & Meachem. I'm not the least bit worried about losing Meach, we can replace him. Colston would be a big loss, but as the offense has shown we can lose players for stretches at a time, and replace players for cheaper and it just keeps chugging along being a top 5 O in the league. I think that'll continue even if we lose Colston, Meach, & Nicks

Old 03-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
WHO DAT !!!!

SAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
SAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTS 12 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Marques Colston - WR - Saints
According to the Chicago Tribune, "some personnel men" around the NFL wonder whether free agent Marques Colston would be as productive in an offense different from New Orleans'.

We're almost certain he wouldn't be. Colston has made his money and racked up stats as an often single-covered slot receiver in the NFL's most pass-heavy offense, also benefiting from Drew Brees' pinpoint passing. Colston has not shown the ability to create consistent separation from defensive backs. Among this year's free agent receiver class, Colston might be the riskiest signing considering the money he'll command and his style of play.