Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 02-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #57
Visible minority

guillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Club
guillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Clubguillermo 40K Burger Club
I think we are jumping on a lot of conclusions here. Let's wait and see the numbers, and then criticize the move.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #58
Veritas Aequitas

Boondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Boondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post
I don't understand this either? Payton is loyal to a fault? He traded Reggie Bush. He just cut Dave Thomas. He has fired multiple coordinators... Gary Gibbs was a personal friend of his from Dallas. Fired.

I don't think this has anything to do with loyalty. Your second sentence began with "As a fan" and it should continue "we react emotionally to the results we see during a season. We don't break down film or grade players on their performances. We may not have a full grasp of the nuances of why or where a player actually struggles."

In 99% of these situations, there is a happy medium between the apologists and the "haters," so to speak. I think Payton is hitting that medium pretty squarely by asking these guys to restructure their contracts. This "cut the cord" and "get rid of them" talk. Why? Are they taking up a roster spot and keeping someone better from making the team? Then they'll get cut in camp!!

The salary cap argument is the only viable one. And now it's being alleviated because all of these guys are agreeing to restructure. So what it comes down it is an emotional reaction. That is the hands down, only reason to get rid of a good player.

We can argue all day during the offseason about whether or not a guy can play. All I can tell you is that 16 games worth of grading and coaches' film probably tells a different story than these endless threads do.

Jonathan Vilma himself said that he hates playing in a 3-4. It is how he originally injured his knee, which in turn has been a continuous problem since the 2010 season. 31 is old when you been playing in the NFL since you were 22. That is a decade of wear and tear. Ive been in the Marine Corps. for a decade and my body doesn't feel anywhere near the same at age 29 as it did at 18. I can only imagine the mileage an NFL season puts on your body. Vilma's spirit maybe willing, but his body isn't able.

Will Smith has been horrible since 2009, period. End of story! Ive accepted it and moved on. He isn't all of a sudden going to be a better DE in a 3-4 than he was in a 4-3.

My comments aren't emotional ones when I can point to tangible evidence that says Vilma and Smith have stunk it up since 2009. There are other scouting services that say this. Thats how I know my reactions and statements aren't emotional. The data is empirical. Im not just relying on my gut or my eye. Its backed up by cold hard facts my friend.
Boondock is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #59
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Watertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to behold
Watertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to beholdWatertaco is a splendid one to behold
I think we are a little too loyal.
Watertaco is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #60
Super Forum Fanatic

slaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famerslaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famerslaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famerslaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
slaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famerslaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famerslaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famerslaym is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I would rather release him.

2 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #61
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINTS 12 View Post
WOW check this tweet out..

Dan Hope@Dan_Hope
@TonyPauline reported today #LSU coaches aren't giving DE Sam Montgomery a "ringing endorsement" to NFL teams. Not a good sign for him.
Why would LSU coaches do this? What could they possibly hope to gain?

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #62
Pro-Bowler

Zztop is a glorious beacon of light
Zztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of lightZztop is a glorious beacon of light
disappointing unless it is for the vet minimum. but does not really surprise me considering they were so loyal as to keep shanle for 6 years.
Zztop is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #63
Official SR twitter team

St.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger Club
St.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger ClubSt.Fury 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post
Why would LSU coaches do this? What could they possibly hope to gain?
It really doesn't make all that much sense for them to do that. Either he did something to miss someone off, or the story is erroneous. Id lean toward the latter.
St.Fury is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #64
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Credibility for when they do give good endorsements?

It happens, college coaches do slam players at times. The only reason Greg Hardy slipped to the 6th round was because Houston Nutt slammed his personality. Then he ends up with 11 sacks but it's also just as likely that its something someone on some NFL team is putting out to drive Montgomery's value down so they can get him too.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #65
NO MA'AM

zeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Member
zeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Memberzeetes Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Ward View Post
You get made fun of enough in the VG boards...lol.

That being said, if it's a team friendly deal, then keep him. No harm in that case. .
I can't help it if i'm too awesome for those lowlifes.
zeetes is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #66
Hollygrove For Life!

Saint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger Club
Saint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCUDan View Post
I don't understand this either? Payton is loyal to a fault? He traded Reggie Bush. He just cut Dave Thomas. He has fired multiple coordinators... Gary Gibbs was a personal friend of his from Dallas. Fired.
Cmon Dan... I love your posts but yes they are loyal to a fault. He traded Reggie bush because Bush wanted to leave for a better role (and he would have left without compensation after his contract was up). He cut Dave Thomas to trim cap... but I'd be willing to bet Thomas will be back at a lower cap #. Gary Gibbs should have been fired waay before he did get fired because our defense sucked then too (did he get fired or did his contract run out?). I think you'd agree that we needed a new DC. Charles Grant was on his way to Tampa before Payton persuaded Loomis to resign him... Grant had NO business getting the contract he signed, but that's another example of Payton and his loyalty.

And your statement about Will Smith being hands down our best DE is absolutely correct, but compared to what? Smith has been hands down our best DE since Darren Howard left. That doesn't mean the guy hasn't underperformed for years now. Smith has been average at best since '09, and I understand we can't simply cut him because of his cap #, but we need more talent at DE regardless of scheme. I know these are great "locker room guys" but at what price do they stay if their performance on the field doesn't command the contract?
Saint Droopy is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 PM   #67
Pro-Bowler

NorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enoughNorfolkedSaint will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg8710 View Post
Sometimes I think a lot of people on here don't see a lot of Saints games.

Posted from Saintsreport.com App for Android
Exhibit A
NorfolkedSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #68
Hall-of-Famer

FootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
FootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
Jonathan Vilma himself said that he hates playing in a 3-4. It is how he originally injured his knee, which in turn has been a continuous problem since the 2010 season. 31 is old when you been playing in the NFL since you were 22. That is a decade of wear and tear. Ive been in the Marine Corps. for a decade and my body doesn't feel anywhere near the same at age 29 as it did at 18. I can only imagine the mileage an NFL season puts on your body. Vilma's spirit maybe willing, but his body isn't able.

Will Smith has been horrible since 2009, period. End of story! Ive accepted it and moved on. He isn't all of a sudden going to be a better DE in a 3-4 than he was in a 4-3.

My comments aren't emotional ones when I can point to tangible evidence that says Vilma and Smith have stunk it up since 2009. There are other scouting services that say this. Thats how I know my reactions and statements aren't emotional. The data is empirical. Im not just relying on my gut or my eye. Its backed up by cold hard facts my friend.
And yet, you kept going.

2 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #69
Veritas Aequitas

Boondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Boondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBoondock is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballLady View Post
And yet, you kept going.
I shouldn't cast my pearls.
Boondock is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #70
All-Pro

demented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enough
I think everyone is missing out on the role of the 3-4 end though. Will will be able to bulk up some in the offseason and be more of a block eater. The idea is to have a LDE who can match up on the slimmer left tackles and bull rush them. The RDE is actually slimmer and tries to use more of a speed move around the typically heavier/run oriented right tackles.

The Saints have always been burned by that combo. Bushrod can't block bull rushers and Strief can't block outside speed guys. The 3-4 line up is tailored to beating a typical NFL style line. I've been saying for the past 2 years that we have a 3-4 line without the 3-4 line backers on the field.
demented is offline Reply With Quote