Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 02-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #71
The Listener

bearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
bearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerbearze34 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
By any measure Smith has failed miserably to perform well since his big contract was signed. That said, I do believe that the staff knows more than I do about talent evaluation so if they think he should be on the team so be it. I don't know if this means he will be here at the beginning of the season or if it is just to clear cap space but it is a bit of a head scratcher at this point.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #72
Subscribing Member

duhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of light
duhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of light
Some people can type faster than I can so I guess their infinite amount of bashing doesn't bother them. Since I am much slower I will try to post less and just get to the point.

Payton is in control, and he knows more about this team than anybody else. He has guys like Parcells, Loomis, Bellichek and Ryan to bounce things off of. But I don't think he needs that much help from those guys to run his team efficiently. And he surely doesn't need to ask any SR folks their opinions about whether to renegotiate contracts with the players that he chooses to go into battle with next season.

If you really want to vent some more and tell Payton how to run the show, then send an email to Bensel and quit arguing to us fans here, as we are tired of hearing it, its juvenile and not well received any more.
duhonmark551 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:25 AM   #73
Full of Intangibles

literature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
literature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famerliterature is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Many of you have problems with Smith's production, but I have a bigger problem with the productiveness of posters in this thread. Here's an example of a productive post, one that deserves a spot on the team that is Saintsreport:

"I disagree with this move. I feel that Smith's production doesn't warrant retaining him, even in the 3-4 at a reduced contract. It's vital that we enforce a new mentality of accountability to go with our new coordinator, and I feel as though we have to cut underperforming players to do so. If you look at his stats, he's been in decline since 2009 in terms of sacks. I feel as though we need to develop players like Hicks, Jordan and Johnson and that he'll only hinder this development process."

Here is a post that deserves to be cut:

"Are you kidding me, this is terrible! He doesn't do a thing all season and still expects to collect a paycheck? I'd be embarrassed to play like that. He can't get it done so he needs to go, show me one play where he wasn't a useless failure. He must be CUT. End of story!"

See how they express the same opinion, but one post is useful but the other isn't?

Sorry, you have to evaluate him based on his performance, not on how angry he made you when the Saints lost last year.
literature is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 AM   #74
Subscribing Member

bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
But you're not taking in everything into consideration when the Jets switched to the 3-4 he had Dewayne Robertson as his NT and he couldn't keep blockers off Vilma which is vital in the 3-4. In 2009 Gw ran the 3-4 between 35% and 40% of the snaps and Vilma had a career year.

Will Smith getting restructured doesn't mean he will make the team if five other guys are better than he will be cut, if not then he earned it and isn't that a major part of camp?
Incorrect. GW ran 3 man fronts about 30% of the time, most of which came in nickle and dime situations where Vilma was dropping in coverage or blitzing. The large of our majority of our snaps in our base defense were in a 43. Also, that was 4 years ago when Vilma was 27 and in his peak prime.
bclemms is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 01:03 AM   #75
Subscribing Member

bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
But you're not taking in everything into consideration when the Jets switched to the 3-4 he had Dewayne Robertson as his NT and he couldn't keep blockers off Vilma which is vital in the 3-4. In 2009 Gw ran the 3-4 between 35% and 40% of the snaps and Vilma had a career year.
One problem with that theory, now he is going to have to shed the block of Will Smith and whatever guard or tackle is driving him towards the secondary.
bclemms is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 AM   #76
Veteran

atapapa is a jewel in the rough
atapapa is a jewel in the roughatapapa is a jewel in the roughatapapa is a jewel in the roughatapapa is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba View Post
58 tackles last year as a DE. That's a career high for Smith. Yeah, I think he'll be able to find 15 plays, easy.
PFF rated him as the second worst 4-3 defensive end this past season. Additionally he is a bad fit in a 34.
atapapa is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:11 AM   #77
Sarang Upso

Jackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Jackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJackavelli is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by duhonmark551 View Post
Some people can type faster than I can so I guess their infinite amount of bashing doesn't bother them. Since I am much slower I will try to post less and just get to the point.

Payton is in control, and he knows more about this team than anybody else. He has guys like Parcells, Loomis, Bellichek and Ryan to bounce things off of. But I don't think he needs that much help from those guys to run his team efficiently. And he surely doesn't need to ask any SR folks their opinions about whether to renegotiate contracts with the players that he chooses to go into battle with next season.

If you really want to vent some more and tell Payton how to run the show, then send an email to Bensel and quit arguing to us fans here, as we are tired of hearing it, its juvenile and not well received any more.
How did y'all trip go

Do you understand the concept of a message board. This isn't north Korea , ppl can have a opinion and it doesn't have to match yours or SP

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #78
Practice Squad

crobin2470 is on a distinguished roadcrobin2470 is on a distinguished road
Ok if you going to cut who are you going to get to replace him. Just because he redoes his contract doesn't mean he makes the team. We need to be patient and let this play out Payton has watched this team for a year he will address the problems on defense he has no choice.
crobin2470 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #79
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemms View Post
Incorrect. GW ran 3 man fronts about 30% of the time, most of which came in nickle and dime situations where Vilma was dropping in coverage or blitzing. The large of our majority of our snaps in our base defense were in a 43. Also, that was 4 years ago when Vilma was 27 and in his peak prime.
Think it was a bit more then 30%, we spent a large amount of time in so-called "nickel" sets, primarily a 3-3-5 type grouping, but with Roman Harper acting almost as the fourth linebacker. We also had some outright 3-4 groupings, and some 2-4-5, etc. I'd say it was less than half of the snaps did we have 4 down linemen in a 3 point stance.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #80
Surprise ************!

Saintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger Club
Saintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger Club
We've won a lot of games with this core group of leaders, which includes both Smith and Vilma. I'm excited that we're going to make one more run with this group. I think those two players in particular are more valuable to the locker room/position group rooms than we as fans would know.
Saintaholic is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #81
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
How much money is already committed to him through signing bonuses, etc spread out over this and next year? Wonder the same for Harper. That makes a huge difference. When you cut a player, that money still counts against the cap
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #82
Inoffensive Pink Dot

Lurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true Saint
Lurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true SaintLurkaholic is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
How much money is already committed to him through signing bonuses, etc spread out over this and next year? Wonder the same for Harper. That makes a huge difference. When you cut a player, that money still counts against the cap
$2 million for Smith
$3.5 million for Harper
Lurkaholic is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #83
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
$2 million for Smith
$3.5 million for Harper
That's the part folks forget. That's why it's hard to cut players because they already count against the cap
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #84
Hall-of-Famer

Nightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Nightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNightshade is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
There should end up being 5 DE's on the roster if he makes the roster then be mad at the guy who didn't beat him out.
Nightshade is offline Reply With Quote