Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 02-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #85
Fan Board Member In Exile

SuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Widge View Post
He won't need to rush the passer with speed as a 3-4 DE and speed is what he has lost the last few years. He's an experienced veteran that played well under Gregg Williams in what was essentially a 3-4 scheme similar to what Rob Ryan runs.

No, he is no longer a double digit sack guy, but he is still a guy that can set the edge and allow a LB to run free. And he is a guy that can get you some pressure with some veteran tricks, strength and effort. Which is really what you want in a 3-4 1 gap defense. So, if he will play at a number that will allow Loomis to sign the free agents we want and our draft picks then I see no reason to not have his veteran presence in the locker room. To think otherwise is reactionary and shows a lack of understanding of what makes a team.
I was getting ready to write the exact same thing. While Smith is on the downside of his career, is game, at this point, is MUCH better suited to be a 3-4 DE...a Frank Warren type that allowed Swilling to use his speed to get to the QB.

SuperDome is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #86
Fan Board Member In Exile

SuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura aboutSuperDome has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by literature View Post
Many of you have problems with Smith's production, but I have a bigger problem with the productiveness of posters in this thread. Here's an example of a productive post, one that deserves a spot on the team that is Saintsreport:

"I disagree with this move. I feel that Smith's production doesn't warrant retaining him, even in the 3-4 at a reduced contract. It's vital that we enforce a new mentality of accountability to go with our new coordinator, and I feel as though we have to cut underperforming players to do so. If you look at his stats, he's been in decline since 2009 in terms of sacks. I feel as though we need to develop players like Hicks, Jordan and Johnson and that he'll only hinder this development process."

Here is a post that deserves to be cut:

"Are you kidding me, this is terrible! He doesn't do a thing all season and still expects to collect a paycheck? I'd be embarrassed to play like that. He can't get it done so he needs to go, show me one play where he wasn't a useless failure. He must be CUT. End of story!"

See how they express the same opinion, but one post is useful but the other isn't?

Sorry, you have to evaluate him based on his performance, not on how angry he made you when the Saints lost last year.
Amen!

SuperDome is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #87
Surprise ************!

Saintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger Club
Saintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger ClubSaintaholic 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
How much money is already committed to him through signing bonuses, etc spread out over this and next year? Wonder the same for Harper. That makes a huge difference. When you cut a player, that money still counts against the cap
Never thought about it like this but it makes perfect sense.

The cap hit for releasing him is about the same as his market value, so it makes sense to at least try to negotiate him down to that number as a first option.
Saintaholic is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #88
Hall-of-Famer

Pdlc is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Pdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of FamerPdlc is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
2 million a year would be great anything more than 3 is too much

Sent via Tapatalk

Old 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #89
Contributor

SAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
SAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of FamerSAINTSFAN is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkaholic View Post
$2 million for Smith
$3.5 million for Harper
Much more than that. Dead money for is around $6 million each. Harper still has some guaranteed money on his contract from when he signed to go along with the prorated bonuses. Smith added bonuses last year when he restructured.

New Orleans Saints - 2013 Cap Hits
SAINTSFAN is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #90
Veteran Starter

humbrah has disabled reputation
No one said he's gonna be a starter.
humbrah is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #91
Cutting the lead blocker

TCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true Saint
TCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true Saint

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Droopy View Post
Cmon Dan... I love your posts but yes they are loyal to a fault. He traded Reggie bush because Bush wanted to leave for a better role (and he would have left without compensation after his contract was up). He cut Dave Thomas to trim cap... but I'd be willing to bet Thomas will be back at a lower cap #. Gary Gibbs should have been fired waay before he did get fired because our defense sucked then too (did he get fired or did his contract run out?). I think you'd agree that we needed a new DC. Charles Grant was on his way to Tampa before Payton persuaded Loomis to resign him... Grant had NO business getting the contract he signed, but that's another example of Payton and his loyalty.

And your statement about Will Smith being hands down our best DE is absolutely correct, but compared to what? Smith has been hands down our best DE since Darren Howard left. That doesn't mean the guy hasn't underperformed for years now. Smith has been average at best since '09, and I understand we can't simply cut him because of his cap #, but we need more talent at DE regardless of scheme. I know these are great "locker room guys" but at what price do they stay if their performance on the field doesn't command the contract?
Here is my point. If I don't say "Will Smith sucks" and "Jonathon Vilma is old/done", then I am apologist. If the team chooses to restructure with them rather than "cut their ***," then Payton is loyal to a fault. I do not see the downside of having GOOD PLAYERS and GOOD GUYS on the team. But to fans, that's just not a "strong enough message." The logic seems to be "the defense sucked last year, so let's take our most high-profile guys, and put their heads on a spike to show everyone that we don't put up with that crap."

There is NO, absolutely NO REASON whatsoever to get upset about Vilma and Smith restructuring. THAT IS THE BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME. We are getting under the cap, and we are retaining two veteran players who have been invaluable members to this team and can still contribute on the field. Just because someone is still on the team doesn't mean they're going to be a STARTER, it doesn't mean that they are keeping a better player from making the team... all it means is that they are on the team.

The overpaid/salary cap argument is completely MOOT because these guys are restructuring.

My point has NEVER EVER been that Will Smith is the same player now that he was in 09. But the idea that because he had a down season or his play has declined as a whole from the pro bowl level that it was during is prime... that that means he should be bagging groceries... that's ludicrous. Or that this is Payton hanging onto his favorite guys because he is just too emotionally attached? Come one, yes, he likes these guys. But if there isn't room on the roster for them... meaning if we got 4 DEs better than Will Smith or 8 LBs better than Vilma... I'm sure they'll be gone.

But that won't happen. Why??? BECAUSE THEY ARE STILL GOOD ENOUGH TO BE ON THE TEAM! That is what I am saying. That is all I am saying, particularly with Smith.

With Vilma... "He can't play in 34... he's said it publicly..." HE PLAYED IN A 3-4 FOR 3 YEARS UNDER GREG WILLIAMS AND MADE THE PRO BOWL 2 OF THOSE YEARS! Why nobody remembers that is beyond me! We act like the Jets were the only team to ever use Vilma in a 34. GW utilized a 34 front as much, if not MORE (when you count all of his 3-man front subpackages) than he used a 4-3. The argument CANNOT be backed up.

What I am saying is that the emotion... the negative emotion... over these guys restructuring, as if they represent some bygone HORRIBLE era that we all want to cut ties with and forget (like a Super Bowl???) is crazy to me. And I don't understand it. And we can back and forth all day, but there is zero logic to being upset that these guys AGREED to restructure their contracts for the good of the team.

16 out of 19 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #92
Hall-of-Famer

FootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
FootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of FamerFootballLady is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
The "Payton is too loyal" meme is wearing thin. You know what Coach Payton loves more than anything? Winning. He will make whatever move he feels he has to in order to win. If that means cutting a player he likes or has drafted, so be it. If he doesn't get rid of that player you think needs to be disposed of post haste that doesn't mean he's too loyal, it means he thinks that player belongs on the team.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #93
Cutting the lead blocker

TCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true Saint
TCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true SaintTCUDan is a true Saint

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballLady View Post
The "Payton is too loyal" meme is wearing thin. You know what Coach Payton loves more than anything? Winning. He will make whatever move he feels he has to in order to win. If that means cutting a player he likes or has drafted, so be it. If he doesn't get rid of that player you think needs to be disposed of post haste that doesn't mean he's too loyal, it means he thinks that player belongs on the team.
Exactly.

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #94
Cutting the lead blocker

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Also, LSSpam made a great point. I don't know what number we're getting Smith's cap figure down to, but regardless of whether he's a starter or veteran depth, there is a good chance we can get it down to a number that will be less than the cap penalty we'll incur by cutting him. And so we cut him, now you have to replace him, whatever his role was. So whatever money you pay to bring in another guy--someone who probably cannot contribute as much as Smith who, washed up or not, can still play the position and give you some good run downs (at the very least)--it is now far less economical.

The problem seems to be more that Will Smith was rewarded with such a big contract in the first place. This is a very typical issue that fans don't always understand. "So and so got this much money and he didn't live up to it." Really only a half-truth. For instance, Jimmy Graham is probably one of the lowest paid starters on our team, and he is also one of our best players. The eventually contract that he signs will not ONLY be for future production, but for past production.

Now this can get us into an entirely different conversation. My point is that if you're ****** at Smith for not living up to his contract, well... it's only half true. He earned the contract in the first place. Yes, he probably doesn't deserve what he's being paid now--definitely doesn't. But that's why you restructure. And he's not throwing a fit. He's not making a scene. He's doing it. And literally EVERYBODY WINS.

You cut Will Smith, John Vilma... you not only incur a substantial amount of dead money counting against your cap ($3 million or whatever for a ghost), you now have to go out and replace them. We don't all agree on their value to the team, but I think paying $2 million for what Smith can do vs. $5 million ($3 million in dead money and another 2 for a player similar to Smith)... the right decision is pretty obvious.

He's not hurting the team. He's not. "He hurt us on the field last year." Really? Then why was he kept on the field? "Because the coaches are stupid." OK, fine, I can't argue with you anymore.

None of the players really helped us last year. But it's prudent to remember that whenever you blow something up, you have to rebuild it. Otherwise you're left with just a big, useless crater.

I'm glad we're refraining from blowing up this defense.

5 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #95
Always Start Simple

crosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Member
crosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Member
I am dumbfounded that there is a discussion that places a negative connotation on being loyal.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #96
Subscribing Member

bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswatt View Post
I am dumbfounded that there is a discussion that places a negative connotation on being loyal.
Loyalty is a very good attribute to have.

Problem is if you become too loyal to a single player in a team sport it can become a fault. Simply by being loyal to a player that has played well for you in the past and always been a great guy to the point of keeping him on a roster over a better player or starting him over a better player it isn't fair to the team as a whole. In other words, by being too loyal to one player then by default it is being unloyal to the other players, coaches and fans by not giving your team the best chance to win.

I'm not saying that Payton is overly loyal to players. I don't think Smith ever sees the final roster and if he does he'll likely rarely play. It isn't Payton's fault for starting Smith over Junior last season, he couldn't do anything about it. Now if it happens again this season this discussion takes a drastic change IMO.

I can say this about Payton with certainty. I can't name a single veteran Saint that we've parted ways with even 1 year too soon.
Joe Horn, Jamal Brown, Deuce, Stinch, Stallworth, Grant, Fred Thomas, Michael Lewis, Jay Bellamy, Mike Mckenzie and others. None have left here and really done much of anything but quite a few on this list performed poorly the last season here.
bclemms is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:40 PM   #97
Cutting the lead blocker

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemms View Post
Loyalty is a very good attribute to have.

Problem is if you become too loyal to a single player in a team sport it can become a fault. Simply by being loyal to a player that has played well for you in the past and always been a great guy to the point of keeping him on a roster over a better player or starting him over a better player it isn't fair to the team as a whole. In other words, by being too loyal to one player then by default it is being unloyal to the other players, coaches and fans by not giving your team the best chance to win.

I'm not saying that Payton is overly loyal to players. I don't think Smith ever sees the final roster and if he does he'll likely rarely play. It isn't Payton's fault for starting Smith over Junior last season, he couldn't do anything about it. Now if it happens again this season this discussion takes a drastic change IMO.

I can say this about Payton with certainty. I can't name a single veteran Saint that we've parted ways with even 1 year too soon.
Joe Horn, Jamal Brown, Deuce, Stinch, Stallworth, Grant, Fred Thomas, Michael Lewis, Jay Bellamy, Mike Mckenzie and others. None have left here and really done much of anything but quite a few on this list performed poorly the last season here.
Specific to your point about Smith starting over JG:

1) JG was injured for a lot of the season.

2) I don't think JG picks up scheme very quickly. I know we want to see dynamic players out there who create plays and wreak havoc, but to a coach, that guy WITHOUT the reliability/trust factor--that's a situational player.

I'm not saying I would or wouldn't have started JG over Will Smith... but I think as a coach, Spagnuolo (and GW... and I think most DCs) trusted Smith more on a play-in, play-out basis.

I have a lot of problems with what Spagnuolo tried to do with this defense last season. But I do recognize that he is a coach--a good coach to get where he is, coaching at the level he's at. I have a great appreciation for that and don't think that he was just cavalierly choosing to start a lesser player.

I aslo disagree that Smith won't be on the final roster. He'll make the team, probably be a "starter", and there will be a lot of belly aching on here. But I think he's going to be much better suited for a 3-4. He's still a strong player, if not as athletic as he once was. He understands the technique for the position, gap control, and the fundamentals of playing sound football.

I'd love for Akiem Hicks to be that guy. But will he be a trustworthy player down-in, down-out--moreso than Smith? I don't think he's there yet.

Again, as a coach, that = a situational player.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #98
Subscribing Member

duhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of light
duhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of lightduhonmark551 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswatt View Post
Both Vilma and Smith were model Saints players but railroaded by Goodell last year and ....we all were dumbfounded by the abuse they took from that clown.

Now Payton can keep these players because they are willing to renegotiate. He can reduce his cap, keep good players and stick it to Goodell all at the same time.

Do you guys really hate Payton, Vilma and Smith enough to act just like Goodell did without knowing the facts inside the clubhouse?
duhonmark551 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.