Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

jt21 has disabled reputation
PFF's Saints@Bucs Review

Thought this was worth posting - some interesting stats and a well done game review. As usual, not fond of the safeties, with Harper getting a bad grade.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...aneers-week-7/

Quote:
Third and Moore

As good as Brees was passing the ball, he wouldn’t have done it without the stellar play of his receivers — none of whom were better, or came up bigger, than Lance Moore (+4.6). He was one of the few Saint receivers to not end up with a touchdown, but he did everything else, and led the team with nine catches for 121 yards. When the Saints needed a big play to keep a drive alive, Moore was the player to deliver with eight of his receptions producing first downs and six such plays coming on third-down. One of his biggest came on a third-and-10 at 12:38 in the second quarter, when he wasn’t initially open but adeptly found a hole in the coverage and moved into position for his QB to get him the ball, which of course Brees did.

His best work on the day came when he lined up in the slot. Running 9 of his 27 pass routes from inside, Moore gained an impressive 9.22 yards per route run, caught all five balls thrown his way and took advantage of the less-than-stellar play of slot CB Brandon McDonald. McDonald wasn’t the only defender to get beaten though, as the Saint caught at least two passes against three different Tampa Bay DBs on the day.
I also thought the note about the Vincent Jackson play was interesting and looking back, the Bucs really took advantage of the Saints D on that play. Probably contributed to Robinson getting beaten off the line and Harper's horrible angle. They should have included this picture:

jt21 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Subscribing Member

Keto is a jewel in the rough
Keto is a jewel in the roughKeto is a jewel in the roughKeto is a jewel in the roughKeto is a jewel in the roughKeto is a jewel in the roughKeto is a jewel in the rough
Ugh that picture is horrible. Still too much thinking, not enough instincts for Spags' system.
Keto is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
Fleur de LEE

jayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
jayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjayd265 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
wow... ball in freemans hands. lofton backwards. didnt see that one

since my baby girl was born
jayd265 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
All-Pro

Lukelv0 is a jewel in the rough
Lukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the roughLukelv0 is a jewel in the rough
Yea I also noted how Morgan was under thrown on both of his deep routes. The 2nd one could have been another TD easily. Brees just doesn't have that crazy strong arm, he has to get the deep balls out earlier if we want to complete them.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
More than 15K posts served!

guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Member
guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukelv0 View Post
Yea I also noted how Morgan was under thrown on both of his deep routes. The 2nd one could have been another TD easily. Brees just doesn't have that crazy strong arm, he has to get the deep balls out earlier if we want to complete them.
if i'm remembering right he couldn't really step into the 2nd throw

Old 10-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Brees' deep ball has always been better down the middle than outside the hashes.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Hollygrove For Life!

Saint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger Club
Saint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger ClubSaint Droopy 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Through six games, Harper and Malcolm Jenkins have played every defensive snap, while Robinson has played all but five snaps. Given how how poorly the defense has played, it might be time for the Saints to rotate the DBs from time to time.
** sigh

Props to MJ for the rundown though.
Saint Droopy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
Super Forum Fanatic

ELLIASJWILLIAMS has disabled reputation
Quote:
Drew Brees, M.D.
Coming out of a bye week, Drew Brees (+6.4) put his early-season slump behind him for good with a performance, particularly in the first half, that can best be described as surgical. Even without the injured Jimmy Graham, Brees dissected the Tampa Bay defense, completing 27 passes for 377 yards and four touchdowns, with a season best 10.2 YPA and a 79.4% adjusted completion percentage. He was especially effective on the deep ball, and masterfully manipulated the Buccaneer secondary with pump fakes on multiple occasions. He completed 11 of 13 passes further than 10 yards in the air, including three of four on balls over 20 yards in the air — among them a spectacular 47-yard touchdown to Joe Morgan, though he made his receiver unnecessarily come back to the under-thrown ball.
It’s scary to think that, despite how well Brees played, he could have been even sharper. Along with the touchdown, he under-threw an additional pass when Morgan again got behind the defense and could have walked into the end zone.

I thought this was telling for people who bashed me for saying Drew underthrows the deepball sometimes.

They seem to confuse arm strength with ability. Drew is excellent@the deep ball...but its more so his mechanics than Arm Strenghth. When you see him underthrow a receiver u know its because he doesn't have a powerful arm.

If that ball was in front of Morgan it was another TD. Instead it was behind him and he had to attack the ball. Which for the most part is planned by Drew. He trust guys to go up and get it...but sometimes its obvious that if he had a little more Throwing Power "Madden" There would be less times that a guy would have to "fight" for the ball rather than just running under it for an easy score.
ELLIASJWILLIAMS is online now Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #9

bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLIASJWILLIAMS View Post

I thought this was telling for people who bashed me for saying Drew underthrows the deepball sometimes.

They seem to confuse arm strength with ability. Drew is excellent@the deep ball...but its more so his mechanics than Arm Strenghth. When you see him underthrow a receiver u know its because he doesn't have a powerful arm.

If that ball was in front of Morgan it was another TD. Instead it was behind him and he had to attack the ball. Which for the most part is planned by Drew. He trust guys to go up and get it...but sometimes its obvious that if he had a little more Throwing Power "Madden" There would be less times that a guy would have to "fight" for the ball rather than just running under it for an easy score.
I dont know who blasted you, but you are right. I think its 2 things, mechanics, and timing between him the receiver. Morgan and Drew or still feeling each other out. Morgan is fast so he can get down field in a jiffy, pretty easy to under throw him.

As I said before, Brees has never had a cannon arm, thats never been his game, his game has always been touch and accuracy. He doesnt have a weak arm at all, in fact its pretty good, but he is no Jay Cutler, Flacco, or Stafford. Brees' mechanics have to be intact to make a throw like that, he needs to be able to step into his throw comfortably, not to mention, he is 6ft and usually just cant see the guy down there so he has to depend on the timing to be there and his accuracy to be on point.

But like you said, it has nothing to do with his arm strength. Still working on the kinks on the deep ball passing game. But I also think we are a bit spoiled. We expect Drew to connect every throw, but if you go an watch some of these other QB's. they might take 4 or 5 shots down field before they finally connect. Drew will connect the majority of his shot throws.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #10
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

St4ever is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
St4ever is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLIASJWILLIAMS View Post

I think DB just does not have a deep ball arm, that being said most of Drews passes are timing routes and Morgan just seems to be too fast for DB on the longer routes. As you may have noticed Morgan is not slowed down at the line and goes straight for the long ball, Drews problem is more with getting rid of the ball quicker so Morgan does not have to come back for it. If Drew releases this pass one second sooner he hits Morgan in stride. I believe that this will eventually get straightened out once they play a while.
St4ever is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
611, 19, 5-6

daybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Club
daybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Clubdaybreaker 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by St4ever View Post
I think DB just does not have a deep ball arm, that being said most of Drews passes are timing routes and Morgan just seems to be too fast for DB on the longer routes. As you may have noticed Morgan is not slowed down at the line and goes straight for the long ball, Drews problem is more with getting rid of the ball quicker so Morgan does not have to come back for it. If Drew releases this pass one second sooner he hits Morgan in stride. I believe that this will eventually get straightened out once they play a while.
The problem is if Drew anticipates Morgan beating a WR and throws early to hit him in stride (as a way of compensating for lack of arm strength), and the CB *doesnt* get beaten, its a potential INT.

daybreaker is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #12

BigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to behold
BigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to beholdBigA3723 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think Brees deep ball being underthrown was a result of anything other than still getting used to Morgan and made slightly underestimating his speed. It takes practice and will get there as Brees is probably the most accurate QB in league.
BigA3723 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
All-Pro

blackjack has disabled reputation
Montana didn't have the arm strength of Elway either but he knew how to get it to the spot it had to be at, as does Drew. He and Morgan will get the timing down now that it looks like he's ready to step into that role. Hopefully his confidence is off the charts now that he's scored twice with dramatic big plays.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Porkers?

The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
Drew has a lot on his mind with this Morgan thing. This is what goes through his brain in the pocket:

1)damn, Morgan is in the game. How'd he sneak in here?

2)crap he's actually open. Dude knew where to go an get open. I've gotta throw it to him.

3)wait, if I throw it to him, he's just going to drop it. It's a wasted play.

4)he's too open. I gotta try it.

By the time he lets it go, Morgan is 80 yards down the field. Not Drew's fault, really.
The Mongoose is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.