New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Camp Body

60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstead Hock View Post
Let's review...

Tavon Austin 2012 stats: 114 rec, 1289 yds, 12 tds. 72 carries, 680 yds (8.9 ypc), 3 tds. 1 punt return td, 1 kick return td.

His production stands out more than his time.
Yes, he's a true talent. Goodwin is pure speed, Tavon Austin is pure talentand speed!
60minutes is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #16
Subscribing Member

bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fury View Post
I was thinking DeSean Jackson, but I just googled him Nd found that he's 5'10".
There are guys out there that are 5'9. Welker and Moore are not very good examples of speedsters, both run great routes and have great hands.

DeSean Jackson is a great example even if he is 5'10. Even if you use him as your example, would you give up a #1 pick if he was sitting at #15?
bclemms is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
Hall-of-Famer

whodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to behold
whodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to beholdwhodatdb is a splendid one to behold
move down a bit and take him Dion Lane Johnson Mingo or Jones who ever falls.
whodatdb is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #18
Official SR twitter team

St.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true Saint
St.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true SaintSt.Fury is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemms View Post
There are guys out there that are 5'9. Welker and Moore are not very good examples of speedsters, both run great routes and have great hands.

DeSean Jackson is a great example even if he is 5'10. Even if you use him as your example, would you give up a #1 pick if he was sitting at #15?
No. I'd put him somewhere in the early-mid 2nd round. But I'm no draft expert.
St.Fury is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 10:40 AM   #19
Camp Body

60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fury View Post
No. I'd put him somewhere in the early-mid 2nd round. But I'm no draft expert.
I think that is about right. I don't think he gets being the 20th pick of the second round.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
Subscribing Member

bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
bclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Memberbclemms Prestigious Gold Club Member
I agree, I'd also put him in the mid 2nd round. Wouldn't be the worst 1st round pick but you wouldn't be excited about it either.

I'd give a top 10 pick for Steve Smith if he was in the draft and not look back but he has a physical attitude that makes most 6'4" receivers look timid and that isn't Austin.

So if we wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for the best player out of dozens with his size/speed then why give up a 1st for Austin.

Another poster mentioned Brees, Sproles and Wilson. They are the exception out of hundreds of similar sized players. Austin may be that exception but I wouldn't gamble a first round pick on those odds.

At worst he is a great return man and an occasional deep threat.
bclemms is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
Camp Body

Quote:
I agree, I'd also put him in the mid 2nd round. Wouldn't be the worst 1st round pick but you wouldn't be excited about it either.

I'd give a top 10 pick for Steve Smith if he was in the draft and not look back but he has a physical attitude that makes most 6'4" receivers look timid and that isn't Austin.

So if we wouldn't give up a 1st round pick for the best player out of dozens with his size/speed then why give up a 1st for Austin.

Another poster mentioned Brees, Sproles and Wilson. They are the exception out of hundreds of similar sized players. Austin may be that exception but I wouldn't gamble a first round pick on those odds.

At worst he is a great return man and an occasional deep threat.
Agreed. He is a satellite guy and a player who will bring instant offense to a team if used correctly. But you cannot take that chance on him in the middle of the first round. Late first round, maybe. But I think his size would caution me against taking him that high. We saw it with Jackson, Harvin, others.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #22
the dude in the selfie

Zack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club Member
Zack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club Member
not to thread jack but what is the song at the start of these highlights? Not the rap version but the original (I think it is an instrumental or very few lyrics)

Zack Lee is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:
I'm having a really hard time remembering any 5'8-5'9" speedster WRs doing well in recent NFL history. Steve Smith is 5'9 and a 4.4 guy but he also is extremely physical.

When I think of 5'8 speedsters I think of guys like Sinorice Moss.

That alone scares me. I do think Austin can be a beast in the NFL both returning kicks and as a WR but if he was 2" taller he'd be a top 10 pick.
you dont think Austin can be physical?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #24
Super Forum Fanatic

CitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true Saint
CitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true Saint
Why not go with a Goodwin and minimize the risk?
CitySaint is online now Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
Camp Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitySaint View Post
Why not go with a Goodwin and minimize the risk?
Because he's a track guy, not a football player. He has straight-line speed, but he does not have the fluidity and body control you see in Austin. Austin does it in shorts and in pads.

The other thing is, Austin is very impressive as a young man. I just watched his interview with Lindsay Soto. He has good character, composure, and confidence. He answered his questions well, showed humility, and just oozes the sort of work ethic that translates into success. He's a smart guy and I wish there was some way for us to get him.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #26
Veteran Starter

LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!LonghornSaintsFan is a BEAST!
The OU game is what put Tavon Austin on the map he was going up and down the field running all over OU's defense ironically they still lost the game it was a fantastic game all the way to the last second. If anyone hasn't watched it you should.

OU vs West Virginia 2012 - YouTube
LonghornSaintsFan is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
More than 15K posts served!

bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
bornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Memberbornnraisedwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Man i would love Austin. Sean would have fun with that kid.

I also like Robert Woods. Just a smooth guy.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #28
Camp Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornnraisedwhodat View Post
Man i would love Austin. Sean would have fun with that kid.

I also like Robert Woods. Just a smooth guy.

I know, I feel the same way. I also liked Woods' performance today. He was better than I expected, looks fully healed from his ankle injury, and probably earned himself some money today.