Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Camp Body

60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Droopy View Post
For the Saints to even consider drafting anything other than a starting caliber LT, Pass rushing OLB, or CB at 15 means the team will have addressed those positions in free agency prior to the draft.

We'd have to take them at 15, because neither of those guys will be on the board in the 3rd round.
I agree, Droopy. I do think Robinson will be there in the third but I do am not nearly as high on drafting him there. I would prefer Markus Wheaton if he is still there. Again, not having that second rounder hurts.
60minutes is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 02:26 PM   #16

stillwhodat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Droopy View Post
For the Saints to even consider drafting anything other than a starting caliber LT, Pass rushing OLB, or CB at 15 means the team will have addressed those positions in free agency prior to the draft.

We'd have to take them at 15, because neither of those guys will be on the board in the 3rd round.
Forget just 15... those positions *with the exception of cb* are our main concerns.. cb isnt a big of a need as we think.. jenkins can play slot.. white and mack were very good last year..And I think they will be better and bush and qudduus can come in and play if jenkins slides down.. so i would substitute dt for cb... Its a much larger need..
stillwhodat is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #17
Camp Body

60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer60minutes is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwhodat View Post
This is what we need to focus on.. The reality is with so many limited draft picks this year and our defensive switch we might take 1 offensive player and all our other picks will be defensive. Expect any offensive guys to come from fa..
The 2009 draft was the only draft I can recall where we did not know take an offensive player. I am not saying that it is impossible for us to go all defense; but I am willing to bet on the likelihood that we will take at least one offensive player in the draft and maybe more depending on how the draft falls to us. The Saints will stay true to their board even if it does not make everyone happy.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60minutes View Post
I agree, Droopy. I do think Robinson will be there in the third but I do am not nearly as high on drafting him there. I would prefer Markus Wheaton if he is still there. Again, not having that second rounder hurts.
But do we have the luxury of drafting replacements with so few picks.. Our defense has been the reason we havent made it back to the super bowl..I think with that being said we have to focus on that part before we start cirlcing the wagons signaling the end of guys career..

Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #19

Quote:
The 2009 draft was the only draft I can recall where we did not know take an offensive player. I am not saying that it is impossible for us to go all defense; but I am willing to bet on the likelihood that we will take at least one offensive player in the draft and maybe more depending on how the draft falls to us. The Saints will stay true to their board even if it does not make everyone happy.
I can agree to that.. the saints are a team that usually stick true to their draft board...I can say Im excited about the youthful infusion of talent we could get in this draft.. REmember Ryan is a good talent evaluator himself so I could see loomis and sp picking his brain for this draft..

Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Camp Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDomePatrol View Post
That's your only way to get out of something so stupid. Hey maybe we can bring Michael Lewis back to teach him how to be a gunner!! Haha seriously your god with your comment after what everyone says to defend your point of getting him. I would love him as a slot reciever like Percy. Nothing like a Sproles. Except size and speed which aren't even similar.
No, it is not my only way to get out. You have not given me anything to engage or to debate. Saying, "Mark my words, he will never be in a position like Sproles" is not an argument. It's speculation. Follow the other exchanges in this thread. Spam and Jhoniten, for instance, make coherent arguments. Yours does not fall into this category.

The next thing is, do you read through posts or do you skim through them? Everyone is not making the argument against Austin just as I am not making the argument to defend my point. If you have followed the thread, I have pointed to the incredible talent that Austin is and what I believe he "could" bring to our team while also acknowledging that not having a second round pick will prevent...wait, let me put that in caps for you...WILL PREVENT us from likely being able to select him.

Finally, I did not know that Sproles was about to break Emmitt's record. I like Darren a lot so this is not an attack on him at all. But the way you talk about him as a runner, I mean, if I did not know any better I would think he was of Adrian Peterson's caliber. IF IT IS NOT CLEAR TO YOU, LET ME MAKE IT CLEAR! What makes Darren Sproles special as a player is the mismatches he causes and the versatility he brings to the table. It is not just his running, but his receiving, his return ability, his ability to open things up for other players. Austin has the same ability. Even if you make the argument that Sproles is a better runner, it does not change the fact that Austin brings the same ability to create mismatches as Sproles. You can, conversely, argue that Austin is the better receiver and returner. That does not negate Sproles' versatility and the way Sean Payton utilizes him in our offense. If he was simply a runner, he would be a change-of-pace back. Instead, he is a guy that we try find a variety of ways to get the ball in his hand to create mismatches against the defense and allow other players on the team to be given less attention so that they can also make plays.

When you find someone in this thread (NOT YOU) or even outside of it who sees it your way, and who thinks that Sproles is valued strictly for his running or as a runner, you let me know.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Pro-Bowler

mountaineerdude is a jewel in the rough
mountaineerdude is a jewel in the roughmountaineerdude is a jewel in the roughmountaineerdude is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
We are sort of carrying a backup to Sproles right now--Travares Cadet. The other thing is, Austin plays the WR position so it is not like he does not offer value at another position while he is being groomed as our do-it-all offensive guy to replace Sproles.
Tavon Austin vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube

mountaineerdude is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #22
Camp Body

Quote:
Hahaha because I did not engage in a debate with you I don't know your right. Are you predicting yourself he will be gone in the 2nd as I am saying he won't be a rb at all? Nobody on this board wants to say anything to you obviously with the response you have given me Im sure most people as I don't have time to sit in front of a screen all day because I'm butt hurt like you. Keep dreamins about your ideas man haha. Sproles blocks like a rb and runs like a rb. Austin gets jet motions and triple options. Never does he like up behind a qb like sproles because WVU didn't ever do that. I guess desean Jackson is a sproles. So is Harvin maclin and ever other reciever in the NFL who is small and fast. Hell patriots should put welker at rb. Your assumption is just ridiculous and stupid saying he is a rb anywhere near Sproles. Did I say he was AP? Your gonna try and compare with the best rb maybe ever? Ok good one. Your butt hurt because I said Austin will not be a rb ever which he won't. Isn't he in the reciever group? Was sproles in that same group? What makes Sproles so dangerous is his ability to stay in and block and run between the tackles at times. If your talking how Sean P used him than it was more than your less than 4 times a game which was Carmichael. I don't have time to sit in front of a computer screen all day and be Internet GM to everyone like you are. Have fun ill come back to you in the future on this Austin being the next Sproles. Have a good day GOD haha
Young man, I have been a member of this board for nearly 16 years. Trust me, when someone disagrees with me, they point it out. Check out the Combine thread and see NOFALCONS10 response. I am not God, people disagree with me. The beauty of this forum is that people agree and disagree. It is just that most of the time, they back it up with facts.

Btw, calling me God. So original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerdude View Post
Tavon Austin vs Oklahoma (2012) - YouTube

SAY WHAT AGAIN? .... no offense SIR but do some research before you post something ....
Is this sarcasm? I am lost. The youtube link does not contradict what I said unless you misread my statement or the other things I have posted in this thread. If so, no worries; it happens. You should, however, show this link to DaDomePatrol since he feels that Austin is incapable of running the football.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #23
Pro-Bowler

mountaineerdude is a jewel in the roughmountaineerdude is a jewel in the roughmountaineerdude is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Young man, I have been a member of this board for nearly 16 years. Trust me, when someone disagrees with me, they point it out. Check out the Combine thread and see NOFALCONS10 response. I am not God, people disagree with me.

Btw, calling me God. So original.

Is this sarcasm? I am lost. The youtube link does not contradict what I said unless you misread my statement or the other things I have posted in this thread. If so, no worries; it happens. You should, however, show this link to DaDomePatrol since he feels that Austin is incapable of running the football.
I misread it .... thats why I edited my comment

Old 02-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Camp Body

Quote:
I misread it .... thats why I edited my comment
It's cool, I had edited my comment as well thinking that it was a simple misreading. But, you, like me, quoted it before the other person could edit the original statement. No problem!

But I will say, DaDomePatrol is right. When I look at Austin in that video, I see a guy who cannot run the football 3 times a game at the next level.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:30 PM   #25
Pro-Bowler

Quote:
It's cool, I had edited my comment as well thinking that it was a simple misreading. But, you, like me, quoted it before the other person could edit the original statement. No problem!

But I will say, DaDomePatrol is right. When I look at Austin in that video, I see a guy who cannot run the football 3 times a game at the next level.
But just like SPROLES, he is not a bellcow .... SPROLES is our 3rd down x-factor/ decoy ...... just like REGGIE BUSH ...... these guys are just playmakers ......

Old 02-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #26
Camp Body

Quote:
But just like SPROLES, he is not a bellcow .... SPROLES is our 3rd down x-factor/ decoy ...... just like REGGIE BUSH ...... these guys are just playmakers ......
I agree!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #27
Pro-Bowler

Quote:
I am right with you being sarcastic or not. The guy has a highlight and breaks some runs? Ok so he can be a Darren Sproles now? Your discounting the fact that Sproles plays on way more than just 3rd down. He is also way bigger than Austin in Muscle stature who is identical to Desean Jackson. Could Jackson get a few carries a game and get to the edge sure! Could he pass block? Can he be a threat up the middle? Can he do more than just be in a spread offense? No he can not do any of those just like Austin. Austin would be annihilated by NFL LBs if he runs the ball like Sproles. I have given you plenty of reasons why Sproles is a superior runner you just don't wanna read it because you are so wrong. Austin is a NFL reciever who can return and grab a couple of handoffs in some games. Keep watching his Oklahoma tape but how about you go watch Sproles tape. A few hundred rushing yards to 5,000 like I said be real and quit dreaming. It takes much more to be an NFL running back than being fast and getting aome carries. You are so wrong. If you were right he would be a 1st rnd pick and it wouldn't be as a reciever.
MUCH MORE THAN SOME CARRIES???? .. how many carries does SPROLES get in our offense ..... i believe he gets the same amount of carries as receptions ...... and TAVON is not just a 3rd down guy ...... I am not saying we draft TAVON and cut SPROLES ..... there is so much to learn in 2 years and get good at ...

Old 02-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
I would take Denard in a heartbeat but I am a Michigan fan so...

Denard is a performer. He can't throw the ball to save his life, but the guy can juke you out of your shoes.