Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 10-06-2017, 09:42 AM   #1
Our new Saints fan!

bergeaux has disabled reputation
Thank Sean Payton for giving CBS Romo as announcer

For those that think Romo is doing a great job as an announcer, Sean Payton needs to be given credit.

If Sean Payton hadn't fought for, trained up and basically set up Romo as the Cowboys QB before we stole him, none of this would have happened.

Me? I am one that thinks Romo is doing a good job. Announcing NFL games must be harder than we fans think since it seems so hard to find good ones. In fact I think he's a better announcer than he was a QB. Which is good since I hate the Cowboys. LOL

So hats off to Sean for his contribution.

15 out of 15 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
Super Forum Fanatic

Saint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club Member
Saint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club MemberSaint Jack Prestigious Gold Club Member
I would not be surprised if Payton joins Romo after his run with the Saints.
Saint Jack is online now Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
Visible minority

guillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Member
guillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Member
I think Tony is doing a great job.

- He explain the game in simple words, and even try to predict plays, without sounding pretentious.

- When he talks how good a player is, he doesn't sound like a cheerleader, the way Gruden does.

- And as important is the relation he has with Jim Nantz, you feell that they are having a good time together, and that didn't happened with Phil Simms.
guillermo is offline Reply With Quote

13 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
Saints Nut

gumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
gumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famergumbotron is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
more of an examiner then announcer, but whatever,way better than Sims,etc....
gumbotron is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #5
2nd Year Player

dutar76 60K Burger Club
dutar76 60K Burger Club
Count me in the group that thinks Romo is an amazing announcer. Of course I like Gruden too. True, Gruden sounds like a cheerleader in that he "really likes this guy" and "really likes that guy"... so what? He brings energy with him. Romo does the same when calling plays and telling you what just happened from an x's and o's stand-point. Both guys are passionate about football and it shows without taking away from the game that's being played. Too many announcers go on tangents that are completely unrelated to the game on the field.

I'd say that with Gruden you get the fan with the coach and with Romo you get the QB with the fan. I like it.

Quote:
“Forget all the critics. There’s a motivator much more powerful than doubt. I play in honor of those who believe in me.”~ Drew Brees
dutar76 is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Super Forum Fanatic

the-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saint
the-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saintthe-commish is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbotron View Post
more of an examiner then announcer, but whatever,way better than Sims,etc....
Romo is more "nuanced" than John Madden was as a color commentator. Madden could give a post-play diagnosis as well as anyone. Romo gives the pre-play correct diagnosis better than anyone.

I think he is doing a very good job.
the-commish is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:16 AM   #7
2nd Year Player

dutar76 60K Burger Club
dutar76 60K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-commish View Post
Romo is more "nuanced" than John Madden was as a color commentator. Madden could give a post-play diagnosis as well as anyone. Romo gives the pre-play correct diagnosis better than anyone.

I think he is doing a very good job.
I wonder if they'll try to reign that part of him in some. All announcers say things like "trips to the right", "empty backfield", or " Eddleman at the bottom of your screen". Romo is reading the defense for you. "2 deep with press man", "this is a zone, watch the TE", etc... Nobody does that. I like it and hope he continues.

Quote:
“Forget all the critics. There’s a motivator much more powerful than doubt. I play in honor of those who believe in me.”~ Drew Brees

13 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
Subscribing Member

diehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Club
diehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Clubdiehardfan 40K Burger Club
For the first time I can remember I actually learn something from an announcer. I hope this starts a trend. Networks think people need to be entertained with idiots like Tony K or Dennis Miller when the opposite is true.

I think the people watching the game are smarter than the networks believe and that a smarter more informative delivery would be successful. Romo is proof of that thought.

10 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #9
60's Saints fan

Bartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger Club
Bartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger ClubBartyboy 50K Burger Club
Yea I really like Romo's announcing. No one else is doing what he does.
Bartyboy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
All-Pro

parker_0821 is marching in
parker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching inparker_0821 is marching in
I love that Romo annouces the game like he is playing in it. He even yells in the middle of the play when the receiver is open. He also seems more humble and not as full of himself as Phil Sims. I think he is refreshing and has become my favorite announcer in spite of my long held anti-Cowboys bias.
parker_0821 is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

Krodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Krodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
I love listening to him as well. I think it was great last night when he says "I would spread them out like this and motion the WR in so he should move now" at that point the WR turns and goes in motion. He then explains why you do that. That's what I'm looking for in a game. I'm telling you older saints fans should remember that's exactly how Archie Manning was when he called Saints games.

Krodwhodat is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:47 AM   #12
The Phenom

FLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club Member
FLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club MemberFLASH Prestigious Gold Club Member
I saw Romo wear a blue blazer, charcoal slacks, black shirt, and a cranberry sorbet colored tie during one of his broadcast. That’s hard to pull off, but he did. Dude’s got talent
FLASH is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #13
Super Forum Fanatic

renegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Club
renegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Clubrenegadewa 50K Burger Club
What I like about Romo is that he tells you what's coming before it happens instead of like Phil Simms does in telling people that he saw that coming or everybody knew that was coming after the play happens.

I like his enthusiasm as well. He's having a great time in the booth and believe it or not some of that has worn off on Jim Nance as well.

He's got a great future in the booth for as long as he wants to be there!!

I still don't like the Cowboys though...........

.........pull my chain Mr Commissioner.........I dare you!!!
renegadewa is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:03 AM   #14
2nd Year Player

dutar76 60K Burger Club
dutar76 60K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadewa View Post

I still don't like the Cowboys though...........

Quote:

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #15
...from a chicken, bugwit

blackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Member
blackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Member
In the world of alternative history, had Payton had his way Romo would have been Saints QB in 2006. When the Cowboys wouldn't let Romo go Payton went to plan B.
"All you have to do is to tell them (the people) they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
blackadder is offline Reply With Quote