New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #1
Pro-Bowler

mountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura about
There is enough film available for us to trade back from no. 15

I watched these two videos yesterday and I was amazed as to the pass rushing wealth we have. Unfortunately, neither GW nor SPAGS ever cared to give it a deep thought.

galette 12 - YouTube

Martez Wilson Highlights - YouTube

These guys are so good off the edge and they will be even better with a 3-4 scheme ...... Tez has some serious rush and coverage abilities and Junior's spin move is sick. After watching it yesterday, I am convinced that we really dont need a DE/OLB guy in the first round. Trade back, get a 2nd round pick and get the best available cornerback in the 1st round. My money is on Jordan Poyer. Miliner and Banks will be gone and Poyer's film is amazing. I have absolutely no faith left in P-ROB after watching him get abused by Dez Bryant. And Greer is aging and has constant injury issues. We play in a division with Julio on side and Roddy on the other. We need tight coverage on atleast oneside. Thats the formula Rex Ryan used in New york in 2009 and 2010 when they had a top 5 defense. They know their corners could hold the outside receivers one on one so they can bring more pressure on the QB. Add ROB RYAN's 1st round picks historically, he goes for CBs.
Get a 2nd round pick and get Philip Thomas. We have the worst safety tandem in the league. And as a security blanket, we can draft Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd round. He'll be available there after missing his senior year with injury. A pretty solid edge rusher and perfect for 3-4 OLB.
mountaineerdude is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #2
Visible minority

guillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saint
guillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saintguillermo is a true Saint
The problem, as Mayock explained, is that there is no much difference in talent between pick 5 and 25, so not a lot of teams will be looking to trade up.

It may be an ideal draft for us to go down, but will be really tough to find a suitable trading partner. I think we should concentrate our analysis on picking at 15.

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Pro-Bowler

RiverRat is a jewel in the rough
RiverRat is a jewel in the roughRiverRat is a jewel in the roughRiverRat is a jewel in the roughRiverRat is a jewel in the roughRiverRat is a jewel in the roughRiverRat is a jewel in the roughRiverRat is a jewel in the rough
If we can land a guy in free agency, I'd like to trade down. But it's finding the right partner.
RiverRat is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Pro-Bowler

Jiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enoughJiva will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo View Post
The problem, as Mayock explained, is that there is no much difference in talent between pick 5 and 25, so not a lot of teams will be looking to trade up.

It may be an ideal draft for us to go down, but will be really tough to find a suitable trading partner. I think we should concentrate our analysis on picking at 15.
It does suck that we are so limited again with picks, but let's get the best people we can with what we have. If we could get more picks, that'd be great, but we don't have a history of doing it (like the Pats) and it doesn't seem like this is the type of draft that teams will be doing a lot of jumping around.
We need to at least 3 good players from this draft. A 2006 draft repeat would be awesome, but we need to replenish some talent on this team, we are getting older and we need cheaper players who can start in the coming years.
Gozer the Traveler. He will come in one of the pre-chosen forms. During the rectification of the Vuldrini, the traveler came as a large and moving Torg! Then, during the third reconciliation of the last of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him: that of a giant Slor! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!
Jiva is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Pro-Bowler

mountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura aboutmountaineerdude has a spectacular aura about
If we stay at no. 15, I still think we should get the best available CB instead of a DE/OLB .... Lets shore up that aweful secondary ....

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
Very Banned

Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!Pai Mei is a BEAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerdude View Post
If we stay at no. 15, I still think we should get the best available CB instead of a DE/OLB .... Lets shore up that aweful secondary ....
Mediocre DBs look much much better when there is a consistent pass rush though. So which comes first, the chicken or the egg?
Pai Mei is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Pro-Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Mediocre DBs look much much better when there is a consistent pass rush though. So which comes first, the chicken or the egg?
Did you watch P-ROB against Dez Bryant?

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
Infamous Saint.

Prodigy is a glorious beacon of lightProdigy is a glorious beacon of light
Prodigy is a glorious beacon of lightProdigy is a glorious beacon of light
If we were still at a 4-3, DE would be our main issue

Now, with a 3-4, Our Front 7 looks pretty solid. Id rather get DB help in the first aswell.
Prodigy is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
Very Banned

SaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
SaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Consistent DB's give more time for the pass rush to get there.

you ask chicken and egg, i say secondary.

its really simple, the only way your pass rush gets to the QB in under 3 seconds is if an Olineman reads his blocking assignment incorrectly. You have to have CB's and Safety's that can blanket receivers for the first 4 seconds or you could have 5 Jared Allen's rushing the QB and it will be for squat.

Couple that, with the fact that Rob Ryans scheme puts CB's on an island in man to man coverage, and its obvious we need secondary help. Prob is way to inconsistent and Greer isn't in his 09 form.

Triple that, with the fact that Rob Ryan has notoriously drafted Secondary in his DC career only helps to validate point 2.

We're targeting Banks, Rhodes, Vaccaro and Elam in the first and in no specific order. Only way that changes is if we don't resign/replace Bushrod in FA or Patterson falls to us.

We cannot forget that Galette is an ideal 3-4 pass rushing OLB that got 6 sacks off a single 5th of defensive snaps, and Martez Wilson is a pass rushing OLB who we drafted for that specific role.
SaintBrad is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Pro-Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBrad View Post
Consistent DB's give more time for the pass rush to get there.

you ask chicken and egg, i say secondary.

its really simple, the only way your pass rush gets to the QB in under 3 seconds is if an Olineman reads his blocking assignment incorrectly. You have to have CB's and Safety's that can blanket receivers for the first 4 seconds or you could have 5 Jared Allen's rushing the QB and it will be for squat.

Couple that, with the fact that Rob Ryans scheme puts CB's on an island in man to man coverage, and its obvious we need secondary help. Prob is way to inconsistent and Greer isn't in his 09 form.

We're targeting Banks, Rhodes, Vaccaro and Elam in the first.

We cannot forget that Galette is an ideal 3-4 pass rushing OLB that got 6 sacks off a single 5th of defensive snaps, and Martez Wilson is a pass rushing OLB who we drafted for that specific role.
VERY WELL SAID SIR ..... EXACTLY MY POINT. The only difference being, I am more intrigued by JORDAN POYER over BANKS and RHODES....

Jordan Poyer Highlights, 2009-11 - YouTube

and I think PHILIP THOMAS is better in coverage and against the run than MATT ELAM .... VACCARO is another version of ROMAN HARPER.... not good in coverage ....

Last edited by guillermo; 02-24-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: To embed video

Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Very Banned

SaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
SaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintBrad is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineerdude View Post
VERY WELL SAID SIR ..... EXACTLY MY POINT. The only difference being, I am more intrigued by JORDAN POYER over BANKS and RHODES....

Jordan Poyer Highlights, 2009-11 - YouTube

and I think PHILIP THOMAS is better in coverage and against the run than MATT ELAM .... VACCARO is another version of ROMAN HARPER.... not good in coverage ....
I also forgot to mention Trufant, etc...
SaintBrad is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
BRING THE WOOD!

saintmike23 is a jewel in the rough
saintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the rough
You still need linebackers. To me Galette still looks like a backup. A good one.

Tez can start at any position and is even better than Galette rushing the QB.

So you have 2 solid starters at LB in Tez and Lofton and after that it gets messy. And you need depth.

That's why I like a guy like Dion Jordan who can rush well and cover well. Put him at either OLB position and he'll do well.

Doesn't make sense to trade back for a less valuable position.
saintmike23 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
All-Pro

demented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enoughdemented will become famous soon enough
I still think left tackle is the way to go if a pick is there. Honestly, if I was an NFL GM, I'd only draft O-line and CB's in the first round. They're your most expensive players, they never hit FA and with the rookie wage scale, you can have them cheap for 5 years.
demented is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #14
Super Forum Fanatic

CitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true Saint
CitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true SaintCitySaint is a true Saint
Galette is light years better than Tez at rushing the QB there really is no comparison. But, you can never have too many pass rushers.
CitySaint is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.