Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Old 04-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
Visible minority

guillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Member
guillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Member
We have the chance to build something special, just be patient.

Let me start to say that I refuse the idea that we need to win now, because our window is closing. I don't buy this.

I have always thought that what should expect from our front office and coaching staff is to put on the field a team that can compete as often as possible to make the playoffs, after that, the postseason is a game of chance and skill. The cards should be on your side to be able to win it.

It is true that Drew is getting up on age, but I think we can adapt and have success with either a lesser Drew and/or another quarterback.

This is where coaching shows up. I think that our offense is on transition to a more pure form of the west coast offense, with short passes and a strong run game. Managing the clock is the best friend for our young defense.

We are on the process of finally cleaning our cap, and with 5 choices on the first 3 rounds, we can finally fix the mistakes previously made and build depth.

I am excited specially for pick 11. We will get an impact player. Everyone has an opinion and a favorite, but I see no wrong in who we will get.

McCaffrey? Absolutely tailored for our offense.
Howard? Same case, we don't need a TE right now but in one year it will make sense.
Barnett? To me he is a younger Will Smith.
Foster? An element of nasty that we haven't got in a long time.
Reddick? A wonderful SAM prospect with speed and intelligence.
Lattimore? Adams? Yes, an unexpected choice might be in our future.

It doesn't include the possibility of trading down with the Cardinals and get an extra third rounder.

Then you go to pick #32. Interesting pick considering around 5 teams picking early in the second round need a quarterback, again we can trade back a few spots and get a 4th or 5th back.

I think we can get a solid starter here at defensive back or pass rusher, and I can say the same with our original 3rd down pick.

After that, pick talent. Role players. For that I mean players that can contribute from day 1 doing the thing they do best while learning their craft.

I just don't want the saints wasting extra picks trying to fish unicorns. If Butler is their guy, give the patriots a pick, nothing more. And if they want a player to compliment the trade, then make it a lesser pick.

Try to use the resources the most efficient way possible, if chances are there to trade down, do so. The depth in this draft is worth.

No player will give us the certainty of going to the big game this or next year. But having the extra picks will help us building a team that will continue being competitive for years to come.

Don't forget that the easiest way to play under a clean cap is having your own draft picks playing at a high level on their rookie contract.

At the end, we all are hoping this is the last time in a while we are picking so early.

Cheers, and have a good draft week.

31 out of 34 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:38 AM   #2
Super Forum Fanatic

Meachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Meachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club Member
I think we will try to trade Butler for our 2nd rounder or not trade at all.

I think if we have Butler, if McCaffrey is there at 11 he will be the pick and Edge Rusher at 32. If he isn't there then it will be edge rusher or CB (whoever is graded higher) at 11 and BPA at 32.
Meachemdat is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #3
Intervention needed!

guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Member
guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Member
what does "just be patient" mean?

3 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Visible minority

guillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Member
guillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguillermo Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidomerkinsrules View Post
what does "just be patient" mean?
It means, keep your picks or trade to get even more.

Don't invest cap space and multiple picks on a player that can be the last piece of the puzzle.

Don't sacrifice picks trading up to get that player that you love.

Let the draft come to you. Options will open for you.

16 out of 16 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #5
All-Pro

ETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to behold
ETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to beholdETWhoDat is a splendid one to behold
This draft is going to be exciting. Great players will be there when we pick both at 11 and 32. We see it every year. Teams will pull out the most left field picks either reaching or picking a player no one thought they would pick. There will be a stud there at 11 I'm sure, and would not be surprised if a top 15 guy was still there at 32.
ETWhoDat is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Intervention needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo View Post

Don't invest cap space and multiple picks on a player that can be the last piece of the puzzle.

noted...you know I'm not Mickey Loomis, right?

1 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
Medsamust Saint Fan

Swimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club Member
Swimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club MemberSwimmer Prestigious Gold Club Member
Yo Yo! Great stuff guillermo! Thanks

- I don't think the impact of Bountygate on the Saints team and organization can be understated.
- Then we had massive ownership issues. Those are majorly distracting to a team, especially front office and coaches who could be gone a week if the courted ruled for Rita and gang.
- We also had the "One Player Away" mentality an we all know the problems that created in cap space and poor selections
- Our scouts had simply become bad. Drafts for like 3 years were simply terrible

This is the stuff of 7-9 team with a HOF QB.

Now. let's take a look back to changes the FO and SP have made to fix these problems:

- in 2014, SP gutted the toxic culture. This left more voids, but also began building a locker room that could take on the character of championship teams. SP followed through by trading Cooks. Let's see, we win a game by 40+ points and our WR goes to the press and complains that he was not targeted. SERIOUSLY. How immature and un-team-like is that???
- We got rid of the head of scouting and a bunch of Scouts
- Hired Ireland to further boost defensive talent evaluation and scouting in general
- We cleared the back negative cap space
- Fired the Good Ole Boys ineffective coaches and hired new ones. We all know Nolan is a stud and can develop players
- Shored-up key gaps in the offseason and have no massive glaring weaknesses. We still have areas that are not super talented where we definitely need talent

As negative as I have been over the Saints from 2014-2016, I now see little reason not to be very optimistic. And I too beleive with guillermo that SP can field a playoff caliber team with a QB not named Brees.
Swimmer is offline Reply With Quote

11 out of 11 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Hall-of-Famer

NeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to behold
NeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to beholdNeverGiveUP2 is a splendid one to behold
Good post.... First a little philosophy...

You need three things to win big

1. Good Players
2. Good coaching
3. Luck

#3 was ours in spades in the SB year and not so much in the last three... Every team that wins big can look back at fortune.... How do you come back in a SB that you are losing 28-3 or whatever it was without a little luck.. Luck in the sense that the Failclowns go brain dead and fortunate bounces...

I believe our coaches are good.... I think the patience began 3 years ago when they began to re-tool the team.... We are in excellent shape to pick up 5 good to great players with this draft...

I'm not as smart as the people on this board as to who those picks/trades should be. I trust ML and SP to make those decisions..

I believe 2017 will see check marks next to #1 and #2... With some fortune... some good bounces... a ref keeping his friggin flag in his pocket on 4th down... we will see a run over the next 3 years then into the Post-Brees era
NeverGiveUP2 is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
Visible minority

With 5 picks we have the chance to double dip at pass rusher and defensive back, we can get a third down back, tight end of tackle for depth.

Many ways we can go, and we have a chance to even get more picks.

This is the opportunity to build not for 2017 only, but for years to come.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
Pro-Bowler

Moon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Moon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of FamerMoon is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:

In other words, don't be 2014
Moon is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
I Must Break You

saint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Club
saint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Clubsaint_drago 60K Burger Club
I agree with you for the most part but I don't share your optimism in regards to the Post Drew Brees Era. You said we can win with a lesser QB and you might be right. I hope to God that you're right. But considering we've finished 7-9 four of the past five years with Drew Brees, one can only imagine what we'd look like without him.

It's a testament to just how good Brees is that he's been able to get to 7 wins despite having some of the worst defenses you'll ever see. Leading that 2012 team to 7 wins was a Herculean achievement. Same with the 2015 team. With a lesser QB we probably finish with 3 or 4 wins in those seasons.
saint_drago is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #12
Hall-of-Famer

jsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
jsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjsberry is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:

McCaffrey? Absolutely tailored for our offense.
Howard? Same case, we don't need a TE right now but in one year it will make sense.
Barnett? To me he is a younger Will Smith.
Foster? An element of nasty that we haven't got in a long time.
Reddick? A wonderful SAM prospect with speed and intelligence.
I WANT THEM ALL.

Good post.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #13
Visible minority

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_drago View Post
I agree with you for the most part but I don't share your optimism in regards to the Post Drew Brees Era. You said we can win with a lesser QB and you might be right. I hope to God that you're right. But considering we've finished 7-9 four of the past five years with Drew Brees, one can only imagine what we'd look like without him.

It's a testament to just how good Brees is that he's been able to get to 7 wins despite having some of the worst defenses you'll ever see. Leading that 2012 team to 7 wins was a Herculean achievement. Same with the 2015 team. With a lesser QB we probably finish with 3 or 4 wins in those seasons.
It is indeed a testament of how good Brees is, but also it is a cry to build a better roster. I don't think we are either that far or that close to be competitive, but I think that this draft is the option to make the team better.

The depth in the draft plus the amount of picks we currently have on the first 3 rounds can improve us dramatically, both on quantity and quality.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
60's Saints fan

Bartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true Saint
Bartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true SaintBartyboy is a true Saint
I love the off season moves. Coaches and players.
Finally getting a good MLB RG and resigning Fairly are most exciting.
Pass rush is already better.
The defense is a DE and at least 1 CB or 2 or 3rd safety away from being so much better.
5 high value picks brings more youth and cheap contracts.
No clue as to who they are picking but if they get any where near the production as they did from last years class then I am very optimistic.
Bartyboy is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.