New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 01-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
Pro-Bowler

changchang is a jewel in the rough
changchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the rough
Who do the Saints cut?

Nola released an article detailing the Top 20 salary cap figures for New Orleans Saints entering 2014 season. They are as follows:

1. Drew Brees, QB Cap number: $18.4 million Base salary: $10.75 million
2. Will Smith, LB Cap number: $13.9 million Base salary: $10.4 million
3. Jahri Evans, G Cap number: $11 million Base salary: $6.8 million
4. Ben Grubbs, G Cap number: $9.1 million Base salary: $6 million
5. Marques Colston, WR Cap number: $8.3 million Base salary: $5.5 million
6. Jabari Greer, CB Cap number: $6.8 million Base salary: $4 million
7. Brodrick Bunkley, DL Cap number: $6.1 million Base salary: $4.4 million
8. Roman Harper, S Cap number: $5.9 million Base salary: $2.4 million
9. Curtis Lofton, LB Cap number: $5.2 million Base salary: $1 million
10. Lance Moore, WR Cap number: $5.1 million Base salary: $3.1 million
11. Keenan Lewis, CB Cap number: $4.6 million Base salary: $3.3 million
12. Darren Sproles, RB Cap number: $4.3 million Base salary: $3.4 million
13. David Hawthorne, LB Cap number: $3.5 million Base salary: $1 million
14. Thomas Morstead, P Cap number: $3.0 million Base salary: $2.2 million
15. Pierre Thomas, RB Cap number: $2.9 million Base salary: $2.5 million
16. Junior Galette, LB Cap number: $2.9 million Base salary: $1.4 million
17. Cam Jordan, DL Cap number: $2.5 million Base salary: $1.4 million
18. Patrick Robinson, CB Cap number: $2.4 million Base salary: $873,000
19. Mark Ingram, RB Cap number: $2.4 million Base salary: $1.4 million
20. Kenny Vaccaro, S Cap number: $2.1 million Base salary: $833,000

My Question is, who gets cut? My list is:

Will Smith ($13.9 Million)
Jabari Greer ($6.8 Million) (with his knee and age I think you look in FA to fill his role)
Roman Harper ($5.9 Million)
Lance Moore ($5.1 Million) (Not Getting it done, the emergence of Kenny Stills)
Pierre Thomas ($2.9 Million) (I love Pierre, but we have 3 RBs in the top 20, add Khiry Robinson in the mix and the backfield is crowded, especially for a team that runs 2nd. I think Pierre's skill set is the least unique of the 3)

These 5 guys represent $34.6 million of next years cap.
changchang is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
Pro-Bowler

rob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
rob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerrob22278 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by changchang View Post
Pierre Thomas ($2.9 Million) (I love Pierre, but we have 3 RBs in the top 20, add Khiry Robinson in the mix and the backfield is crowded, especially for a team that runs 2nd. I think Pierre's skill set is the least unique of the 3)
Please tell me you don't actually believe this. After watching Ingram drop a wide open screen and fumble the ball you think he has a better skill set than Thomas? You know why the screen game looked completely lost Saturday?

Because Pierre wasn't playing!
rob22278 is offline Reply With Quote

10 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
Pro-Bowler

changchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the roughchangchang is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob22278 View Post
Please tell me you don't actually believe this. After watching Ingram drop a wide open screen and fumble the ball you think he has a better skill set than Thomas? You know why the screen game looked completely lost Saturday?

It's a screen pass, not rocket science. They have to coach someone else to run a screen. I love Pierre Thomas but you don't pay someone 3 million bucks a year because he can run a screen play. What Ingram showed in the back half of the season was very impressive. He is the power back, sproles the scat back, and Robinson the all purpose back. Do you really need a screen back?

1 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Hall of Famer

CajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true Saint
CajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true SaintCajunSaint is a true Saint
Jabari Greer is not that old...having trouble rehabbing is one thing, but his age is fine.

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:43 PM   #5
Subscribing Member

mdharper is a splendid one to beholdmdharper is a splendid one to beholdmdharper is a splendid one to behold
mdharper is a splendid one to behold
Will Smith and Jabari Greer will be cut.

The rest depends on what happens with Graham. Harper, Moore, Thomas, Darren Sproles, and Broderick Bunkley need to renegotiate or find work elsewhere. Some of them will have to be cut if Graham's cap number goes over $7million.
While I am not optimistic, I am hopeful. By this I mean that hope, as opposed to cynicism and despair, is the sole precondition for a new and better life; and hope arouses, as nothing else can arouse, a passion for the possible.
-William Sloan Coffin
mdharper is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:46 PM   #6
Pro-Bowler

Quote:

Robinson would have caught that ball.

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 PM   #7
Pro-Bowler

faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!faithhopebush is a BEAST!
I am most certainly going to get red-thumbed for this, but I think it is Sproles that has to be eliminated from the RB scenario. I love me some Sproles, don't get me wrong. But as a true RB, he does not cut it. And Pierre can fill his pass catching void. There was a run in the game Saturday where the defender touched #43 on the thigh, and he went down. Not even an arm tackle, a hand tackle. That is not acceptable. In a game where Lynch can get 4 extra yards dragging linebackers around, a running back has to be able to shed arm tackles.

7 out of 11 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Pro-Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithhopebush View Post
I am most certainly going to get red-thumbed for this, but I think it is Sproles that has to be eliminated from the RB scenario. I love me some Sproles, don't get me wrong. But as a true RB, he does not cut it. And Pierre can fill his pass catching void. There was a run in the game Saturday where the defender touched #43 on the thigh, and he went down. Not even an arm tackle, a hand tackle. That is not acceptable. In a game where Lynch can get 4 extra yards dragging linebackers around, a running back has to be able to shed arm tackles.
I definitely think one of them has to go. A team built on passing should not pay 3 running backs that much. I say Pierre because, aside from running the screen, I don't see what he can provide that Khiry cannot.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Pro-Bowler

Quote:

I didn't say he had a better skill set, those are your words. I said he has a more unique skill set.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #10
Pro-Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
Jabari Greer is not that old...having trouble rehabbing is one thing, but his age is fine.
He will be 32 next season with rehabilitated knee. 32 is over the hill for a corner. There are exceptions but in two seasons he will be 34 which is pretty much retirement age.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:18 PM   #11
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

crawfish2010 is marching in
crawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching incrawfish2010 is marching in
Quote:
Originally Posted by changchang View Post
Nola released an article detailing the Top 20 salary cap figures for New Orleans Saints entering 2014 season. They are as follows:

My Question is, who gets cut? My list is:

Will Smith ($13.9 Million)
Jabari Greer ($6.8 Million) (with his knee and age I think you look in FA to fill his role)
Roman Harper ($5.9 Million)
Lance Moore ($5.1 Million) (Not Getting it done, the emergence of Kenny Stills)

These 5 guys represent $34.6 million of next years cap.
Keep Pierre Thomas and everybody else goes.
crawfish2010 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM   #12
Pro-Bowler

Zztop is a jewel in the rough
Zztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the roughZztop is a jewel in the rough
Between PT and Sproles, I would choose Sproles too. In the return game it looks like he declined a great deal this year. He just did not look fast out there anymore.
Zztop is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #13
Pro-Bowler

FleurDeRys is a jewel in the rough
FleurDeRys is a jewel in the roughFleurDeRys is a jewel in the roughFleurDeRys is a jewel in the roughFleurDeRys is a jewel in the roughFleurDeRys is a jewel in the roughFleurDeRys is a jewel in the rough
Y'all know I love the guy, but anyone else surprised how high Morstead's name is on the list?

I've said it on other threads, but PT is a proven playmaker. Not worth it to cut. Not yet.
FleurDeRys is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 PM   #14
All-Pro

HayBear is a jewel in the rough
HayBear is a jewel in the roughHayBear is a jewel in the roughHayBear is a jewel in the rough
Harper
Smith
Vilma

Trade Sproles while he has value

Hope Malcom Jenkins.....walks.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.