New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Saints Super Forum (Main Board)

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 03-11-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
max
All-Pro

max is a jewel in the rough
max is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the roughmax is a jewel in the rough
Why YOU should stop freaking out over the safety position?

Yes, our defense has stunk pretty much for the last 15 years. Yes, safety is the weakest position on a very bad defense last year. Yes, we need to upgrade the position. BUT...

It doesn't have to be done in March. Gerald Sensabaugh and Darren Sharper and the bigger money guys who already signed in free agency at safety are not the only solutions.

Why didn't we get Gerald Sensabaugh? We estimated his value, and the Cowboys valued him more. He was not THE answer to our safety problems. He may not have even been AN answer to our safety problems. Everyone got so obsessed with him because he played under GW last year and is young. The Jaguars did not try to get him back for a reason. He will battle for a starting spot or the top reserve role with the Cowboys for a reason.

If we do not sign a safety in the next couple of months, we can draft one. And no, we do not need to draft Jenkins necessarily or someone else with the 14th pick. If the staff projects Jenkins as a safe bet to be a great player, I'm sure they'll take him. If not, take a good football player. We can always draft a safety in the fourth or seventh round. There are plenty of starting safeties in the league drafted after the third round. Gerald Sensabaugh and Dawan Landry among tons of others.

And if we do not solve the problem in the draft, we can get a free agent between May and August or trade for a safety or pick up a safety who is cut as the season begins or move a corner like Young to safety.

My point is "don't freak out." It will get done. Life will still have meaning without Gerald Sensabaugh wearing a Fleur-de-Lis. I'm sorry our daydreams were not fulfilled.
max is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
BRING THE WOOD!

saintmike23 is a jewel in the rough
saintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the roughsaintmike23 is a jewel in the rough
Mike Brown is good for 8-10 games and maybe a resurgence in the playoffs.
saintmike23 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
In Loomis I trust!

St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!
Darren Sharper hasn't been signed yet.

Considering FS is equivalent to the QB of the secondary it's imperative that we acquire someone who is very bright, knowledgeable, and is above average unlike the guys we currently have been playing with.

Mike Brown wouldn't be a bad fall back option.
St.Stephen is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #4

Mcshane is an unknown quantity at this point
This is true, there are 10 other positions to worry about on that crappy D.

Someone on here has a sig pumping up Derek Pegues as a good day 2 pick for FS. I know nothing about the kid, but he claims he's the next Ed Reed. We've had success with small school prospects, I wouldn't mind seeing us grab some FS prospects in the 4th and use our #1 on OLB. I think our DB's get most of the flack for a D that gives up big chunks of yardage so we sweat those positions the most. I am always a fan of beefing up the front 7.

Look at the Pats, their CB's have sucked for a while now. Even when they had Samuel, he was the only good CB. For gods sake they played Deltha O'Neal back there! But that strong front 7 protected those weaker players. We have a decent looking CB corp in Porter, Greer, Gay & Young. I would still like a veteran FS, but a cheap one and a draft pick to groom.

A good OLB would help, GW likes to blitz OLB's so giving him a good one could help the DB's a great deal.
Mcshane is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
Marques Colston's #1 Fan

waazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
waazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
IMO, we will either sign Mike Brown or Darren Sharper before the draft to a one year contract, then draft either Malcolm Jenkins or William Moore.

CB - Tracy Porter, Mike Mckenzie, Usama Young
CB- Jabari Greer, Randall Gay, Jason David
FS - Malcolm Jenkins/William Moore, Darren Sharper/Mike Brown
SS - Roman Harper, Chris Reis

Last edited by waazup; 03-11-2009 at 12:52 AM.
waazup is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 AM   #6

Mcshane is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waazup View Post
IMO, we will either sign Mike Brown or Darren Sharper before the draft to a one year contract, then draft either Malcolm Jenkins or William Moore.

CB - Tracy Porter, Mike Mckenzie, Usama Young
CB- Jabari Greer, Randall Gay, Jason David
FS - Malcolm Jenkins/William Moore, Darren Sharper/Mike Brown
SS - Roman Harper, Chris Reis
What about your boy Pegues?
Mcshane is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #7
Smack the Pack!!

blackngold7733 is on a distinguished roadblackngold7733 is on a distinguished roadblackngold7733 is on a distinguished roadblackngold7733 is on a distinguished roadblackngold7733 is on a distinguished road
At this point we've lost bullocks and have virtually no depth behind kk with any real playing experience. It's a position of need, and I'd hate to burn one of our precious few picks simply because of the need.

I'm hoping and praying the FO has something in mind that we can't figure out.
blackngold7733 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #8
Marques Colston's #1 Fan

waazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
waazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwaazup is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcshane View Post
What about your boy Pegues?
I dont see us drafting Jenkins or Moore to play FS, and then taking another FS with our 4th round picks. I see us using those on a WLB, C, or RB.
waazup is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #9
In Loomis I trust!

St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!St.Stephen is a BEAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcshane View Post
This is true, there are 10 other positions to worry about on that crappy D.

Someone on here has a sig pumping up Derek Pegues as a good day 2 pick for FS. I know nothing about the kid, but he claims he's the next Ed Reed. We've had success with small school prospects
Pegues should be a solid NFL player and I've never heard anyone refer to a player from an SEC school as a "small school prospect" but to each his own I suppose, maybe you didn't realize he played in the SEC

I recommend you read up on the first link below and follow that up with some video with the second link.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2009&genpos=FS

http://secfootballblogger.com/2008/0...hlights-clips/

Old 03-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #10
Okay,who brought the dog?

Superfan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Superfan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I am freaking out because it is a major major need. We have to draft a good one. Lasy year we were good against the run so by default, even if we don't develope a pass rush, we will be able to stop the run. In this situation i hope our secondary has improved. The thought of KK, Bullocks, and Harper as the answer scare me. I would love to land Sharper and draft in the first round a FS. We need to develope a secondary that not only understands the scheme but be a "Hands Team" and catch the ball. If our secondary is upgraded at FS big time, i think i can handle seeing the Shanle at LB.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
In Loomis I trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfan View Post
If our secondary is upgraded at FS big time, i think i can handle seeing the Shanle at LB.
I will be relieved as well if we're finally able to upgrade FS but that's still a pretty bold statement about being comfortable with starting The Shanle again this year.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:37 AM   #12
rex
Veteran

rex is on a distinguished roadrex is on a distinguished road
These are the available RFA we would have to give up a pick. A 2nd or 3rd round pick for the good ones.. Im sure the FO can negotiate with a team and offer next years equivalent pick. Or a 4th this year and a 3rd next yr. The Pats gave their Franchise player up for a 2nd round pick or something like that. (thet could've gotten @ least a 1st round pick) I like this route. I watched every Miss State game and Pegues was the guy on D that stood out a lot. I do not doubt he will be a GREAT NFL safety !!

Atari Bigby (RFA) - Green Bay 9 PDs 5 INTS 3FF
John Busing (RFA) - Cincinnati Hardly any exp. undrafted FA -- Scrub
Jamaal Fudge (RFA) - Atlanta Same as Bushing
Dawan Landry (RFA) - Baltimore Best yr. 07 11PDs 3 Sacks 5 ints spot duty in 08'
Jarrad Page (RFA) - Kansas City *** Great STATS 12 PD 2 FF 4 INTS
Chris Reis (RFA) - New Orleans no real stats b/c of playing time
Nate Salley (RFA) - Carolina no real stats b/c of playing time
Anthony Smith (RFA) - Pittsburgh Signed with GB
George Wilson (RFA) - Buffalo no real stats b/c of playing time

TAKE YOUR PICK! I like Landry form Balt. Atari Bigby and Jerrad Page
I put Reis on there because I didnt know he was a RFA ??
I wonder why a team tenders SCRUBS? Are they trying to fool other clubs LOL?
rex is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:46 AM   #13
Subscribing Member

saint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
saint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Stephen View Post
Considering FS is equivalent to the QB of the secondary .

I thought that was the MLB job(Vilma)?
saint_cajun78 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2009, 01:48 AM   #14
In Loomis I trust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_cajun78 View Post
I thought that was the MLB job(Vilma)?
You could say that I guess, but Vilma is primarily the QB of the front seven.