Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.


Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > Other New Orleans Pro Teams > New Orleans Pelicans Board


reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #15
Veteran Starter
 
WhoDatNation 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 325
WhoDatNation 2 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
I thought that he would... the guy who I thought would step up and hasn't is solomon hill. maybe he will get better offensively... his defense has been noticeably decent.


I thought Solo looked good tonight. Hit his first 3 three pointers and looked about as offensively sound as he has all season. You're right about his defense, it is pretty consistent. And I'm almost positive that's why they brought him here (and because he got hot in the playoffs for the Pacers last season as well). I wish Buddy would continue to develop and get some minutes, but his play hasn't earned him many opportunities on the court. But when Jrue and Tim are on the court together, we are playing some serious ball. Here's to hoping the streak continues and we keep stacking wins while Tyreke and Quincy continue to heal and Cheick continues to develop (and dominate) in the D League.
WhoDatNation 2 is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-23-2016, 09:03 AM   #16
Super Forum Fanatic
 
TheMike62987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 33
Posts: 6,286
TheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true Saint
TheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true SaintTheMike62987 is a true Saint
They're only a couple games out of the playoff picture and about 4 games out from being around the #4 or #5 spot. Hopefully we can stay away from injuries this season and have a decent playoff run. I think if we can get a good free agent next year we could do some damage, but I just want Demps to go away.
TheMike62987 is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
All-Pro
 
johnnyrockets42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 1,032
johnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
johnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
If we can fleece someone into taking Asik and hill we may have a great team when reke and qpon come back...
Last night's game is a prime example of why we have Asik on this team and should continue. Asik can bang with guys like Dwight Howard, Cousins, etc. Players we don't want AD banging with all game regularly. He is not a box score guy necessarily but the teams defense is better when he is on the floor for sure. And if we have players at the 1, 2 and 4 who can score and keep the offense running, we don't need him scoring a ton on offense.
__________________
mark
johnnyrockets42 is offline Reply With Quote


2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:39 AM   #18
All-Pro
 
johnnyrockets42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 1,032
johnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
johnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadmiral View Post
Undefeated since Jrue returned to the lineup, right?
Against teams who all have (or had when we played them) winning records. These are very good teams we are beating.
__________________
mark
johnnyrockets42 is offline Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #19
Veteran Starter
 
WhoDatNation 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 325
WhoDatNation 2 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets42 View Post
Last night's game is a prime example of why we have Asik on this team and should continue. Asik can bang with guys like Dwight Howard, Cousins, etc. Players we don't want AD banging with all game regularly. He is not a box score guy necessarily but the teams defense is better when he is on the floor for sure. And if we have players at the 1, 2 and 4 who can score and keep the offense running, we don't need him scoring a ton on offense.


I don't know if I would completely agree with that statement. Yes, he is "on the court" and preventing AD from having to play the true Center position. But his defense leaves much to be desired as he is more of a rebounder than anything. I recall seeing Dwight Howard get behind Asik and complete an UNCONTESTED alley-oop in the paint AT LEAST 4 times during the game last night. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I think Ajinca could do just as well in the same role. And maybe even add a little offense. However, Ajinca needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble in order to earn those minutes.
WhoDatNation 2 is offline Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
All-Pro
 
johnnyrockets42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 33
Posts: 1,032
johnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
johnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjohnnyrockets42 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatNation 2 View Post
I don't know if I would completely agree with that statement. Yes, he is "on the court" and preventing AD from having to play the true Center position. But his defense leaves much to be desired as he is more of a rebounder than anything. I recall seeing Dwight Howard get behind Asik and complete an UNCONTESTED alley-oop in the paint AT LEAST 4 times during the game last night. As I had mentioned in an earlier post, I think Ajinca could do just as well in the same role. And maybe even add a little offense. However, Ajinca needs to learn how to stay out of foul trouble in order to earn those minutes.
Ajinca is such a liability on defense, especially against players like Howard, that he didn't even play last night as a coaches decision. It's not just foul trouble, he is just not a good defender, in fact, he is BAD. Everyone likes to argue that Asik was the awful contract, but Ajinca's is looking worse and worse.

Howard only took 6 shots last night, was held to 8 points and did not take a single foul shot. Yes, I know Howard isn't the player he was before, but he is still averaging close to 15 points a game.

Asik is not a super athletic rim protector who can prevent driving guards, but he does very well at what was expected from him in games like last night. Again, he doesn't light up a box score, but he was a +26 last night. While his overall season +/- is a zero, meaning he is very important role player but only in certain games.
__________________
mark
johnnyrockets42 is offline Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #21
Veteran Starter
 
WhoDatNation 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 325
WhoDatNation 2 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets42 View Post
Ajinca is such a liability on defense, especially against players like Howard, that he didn't even play last night as a coaches decision. It's not just foul trouble, he is just not a good defender, in fact, he is BAD. Everyone likes to argue that Asik was the awful contract, but Ajinca's is looking worse and worse.

Howard only took 6 shots last night, was held to 8 points and did not take a single foul shot. Yes, I know Howard isn't the player he was before, but he is still averaging close to 15 points a game.

Asik is not a super athletic rim protector who can prevent driving guards, but he does very well at what was expected from him in games like last night. Again, he doesn't light up a box score, but he was a +26 last night. While his overall season +/- is a zero, meaning he is very important role player but only in certain games.


I would agree with you on some of that. But at the same time, I don't think Asik is what held back Howard's game last night. When the team is down by 20+ points by halftime, its not like they are going to run their offense through their big man. But I guess I would agree and say that Asik is good at what the coach asks him to do situationally. And as I mentioned in an earlier post, I agree with the contract statement you made. At first, his contract seemed ridiculous, but in the end it wasn't that bad compare to the liking of a Timofey Mozgov contract per say. He is just frustrating to watch when he constantly blows easy layups and dunks. Asking him to catch a pass in the paint is like asking for snow in New Orleans.....aint gunna happen.
WhoDatNation 2 is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-24-2016, 12:36 AM   #22
All-Pro
 
GilFinnerty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,468
GilFinnerty is marching in
GilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching inGilFinnerty is marching in
Asik skill set is his strong base. He is a shot alterer,,not a block guy. He is a presence in the middle. And he is hard to move off his spot. His handling on passes and rebounds can be frustrating but he does have a positive impact on the game.
GilFinnerty is offline Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:52 AM   #23
Who Dat Nation
 
wnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: metry brah
Age: 37
Posts: 8,826
wnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Member
wnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Member
Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDatNation 2 View Post
I thought Solo looked good tonight. Hit his first 3 three pointers and looked about as offensively sound as he has all season. You're right about his defense, it is pretty consistent. And I'm almost positive that's why they brought him here (and because he got hot in the playoffs for the Pacers last season as well). I wish Buddy would continue to develop and get some minutes, but his play hasn't earned him many opportunities on the court. But when Jrue and Tim are on the court together, we are playing some serious ball. Here's to hoping the streak continues and we keep stacking wins while Tyreke and Quincy continue to heal and Cheick continues to develop (and dominate) in the D League.
his best game offensively was against the Hawks. He brings it defensively every night. Asik is like that too... just more frustrating.
__________________
Jerral Wayne "Jerry" Jones Sr. is an American businessman. He is the owner, president, and poor excuse of a general manager of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. He is by far the worst GM in professional sports history and has an ego bigger than the state of Texas.
wnelson is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #24
Who Dat Nation
 
wnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: metry brah
Age: 37
Posts: 8,826
wnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Member
wnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Member
Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrockets42 View Post
Last night's game is a prime example of why we have Asik on this team and should continue. Asik can bang with guys like Dwight Howard, Cousins, etc. Players we don't want AD banging with all game regularly. He is not a box score guy necessarily but the teams defense is better when he is on the floor for sure. And if we have players at the 1, 2 and 4 who can score and keep the offense running, we don't need him scoring a ton on offense.
I understand that asik brings the defensive wood... when he wants to. he is inconsistent on D and nonexistent on O. for his salary there is no excuse for his poor production. he needs to be a 10-10 guy every night for his salary. he had 6pts and 9reb tonight... for him that is a great game.

Terrence jones may be AD's pick for MVP... Buddy went 0-7 tonight. he seems to be 0 for whenever.
__________________
Jerral Wayne "Jerry" Jones Sr. is an American businessman. He is the owner, president, and poor excuse of a general manager of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. He is by far the worst GM in professional sports history and has an ego bigger than the state of Texas.
wnelson is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-24-2016, 02:07 AM   #25
Who Dat Nation
 
wnelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: metry brah
Age: 37
Posts: 8,826
wnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Member
wnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Memberwnelson Prestigious Gold Club Member
Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike62987 View Post
They're only a couple games out of the playoff picture and about 4 games out from being around the #4 or #5 spot. Hopefully we can stay away from injuries this season and have a decent playoff run. I think if we can get a good free agent next year we could do some damage, but I just want Demps to go away.
we are getting healthier by the game.. reke is coming back very soon and Qpon in December. if we stay healthy... we can win a lot of games.

who knew the Galloway/frazier tandem would be so potent? who knew t jones was going to be so great for us? who thought buddy would be such a poor rookie? jrue came in on fire.... lets hope reke does too. we hit on all of our free agents so far even though I believe we overpaid for Moore and Hill.

I wonder what our rotations will look like when everybody comes back? I wonder when we will make our first of likely 2 trades? does anybody see us keeping 3 really good point guards? do we re-sign tyreke by the extension deadline or trade him before the trade deadline? it is like the season started 3 games ago.
__________________
Jerral Wayne "Jerry" Jones Sr. is an American businessman. He is the owner, president, and poor excuse of a general manager of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. He is by far the worst GM in professional sports history and has an ego bigger than the state of Texas.
wnelson is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-24-2016, 02:10 AM   #26
Veteran Starter
 
WhoDatNation 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 325
WhoDatNation 2 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnelson View Post
I understand that asik brings the defensive wood... when he wants to. he is inconsistent on D and nonexistent on O. for his salary there is no excuse for his poor production. he needs to be a 10-10 guy every night for his salary. he had 6pts and 9reb tonight... for him that is a great game.

Terrence jones may be AD's pick for MVP... Buddy went 0-7 tonight. he seems to be 0 for whenever.

Yeah Terrance Jones has been a pleasant surprise so far this season. I always knew he could ball. But to do it as consistent as he has been lately is a very nice weapon to have on the court. AD's three point game was on fire tonight. I thought for sure Karl Anthony Towns was going to give AD a run for his money, but he was relatively quiet offensively. Think he only finished with 9 points; however, he did alter a few of our shots on the other end of the court. He has a bright future in the league.
WhoDatNation 2 is offline Reply With Quote


Old 11-24-2016, 02:16 AM   #27
Veteran Starter
 
WhoDatNation 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 325
WhoDatNation 2 has disabled reputation
I don't know if y'all went to the game or not. But toward the end, I thought the fans made a really cool gesture by chanting "Buddy, Buddy, Buddy" in an attempt to lift his spirits and help him finally hit a shot. I will say I am very shocked that his game has translated so poorly so far this season. I feel he needs to learn to just catch and shoot. At times I feel he likes to take at least one dribble, and at that point, the defender has closed in on him and altered his shot.
WhoDatNation 2 is offline Reply With Quote


1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #28
Infinite Power is da ****
 
Grandadmiral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Age: 41
Posts: 12,996
Grandadmiral Prestigious Gold Club MemberGrandadmiral Prestigious Gold Club Member
Grandadmiral Prestigious Gold Club MemberGrandadmiral Prestigious Gold Club MemberGrandadmiral Prestigious Gold Club Member
My biggest regarding Tyreke's return is the possibility of him disrupting the game flow. It was my issue last season and it's hard to believe that he or Gentry have learned their lessons in how to use him properly.
Grandadmiral is online now Reply With Quote



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.



Saintsreport.com - New Orleans Saints News, Info & Community! All marks, logos and images related to the Saints are the property of the New Orleans Saints, the NFL and NFL Properties. We are in no way affiliated with the New Orleans Saints or the NFL. All commentary and original artwork, 1997-2016 SaintsReport.com, owned and operated by Andrus Whitewing, DBA Saints Report,LLC. All rights reserved. Copying of original columns prohibited without a return link and credit given. Teasing articles is ok.



Some of the Photos and pictures used throughout the site are copyright Michael C. Hebert and are used with the permission of Michael C. Hebert and the New Orleans Saints.




Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0