Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #226
Doctorate in Rockin-it

superchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Platinum Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHM View Post
How would you reword the law?
No law excusing violence should ever be entirely subjective based on the perception of the person committing the violence.

There has to be an objective or 'reasonableness' standard. I agree with Jim Everett, they didnt need a law because self-defense was a well defined concept in the courts (and requires that the fear have been reasonable).
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 PM   #227
"Better Days"

Joe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Joe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJoe OKC Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
This may have to be left to the Florida authorities.
And you can bet charges are going to be filed in a case about as big as What's her dink?.. Anthony...

This one is gonna be a gimme. Hey Florida, Why do you get all these super hi profiles cases?

Oh great.. now we are gonna get Nancy Grace...

Seriously, I heard this guy was a cop wanna be... 57 calls to 911... ANd I sure am used to people who get a little bit of Authority and become Monsters...

Joe
Joe OKC is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #228
More than 15K posts served!

El Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club Member
El Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEl Caliente Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe OKC View Post
And you can bet charges are going to be filed in a case about as big as What's her dink?.. Anthony...

This one is gonna be a gimme. Hey Florida, Why do you get all these super hi profiles cases?

Oh great.. now we are gonna get Nancy Grace...

Seriously, I heard this guy was a cop wanna be... 57 calls to 911... ANd I sure am used to people who get a little bit of Authority and become Monsters...

Joe

I thumb downed you because, reading your post reminded me just how much I hate Nancy Grace. Why!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #229
BHM
Can't please 'em all

BHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club Member
BHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post
I would not be for passing any sort of law at all.
Hundreds of years of common law jurisprudence has long recognized a right to protect your home and person. This law flies in the face of that history and is terrible.
That could be anybody's kid that got shot.
Legislators who voted for it should be more than ashamed, and Governor Bush, who signed it, will hopefully rot in hell, alongside his brother

With or without the law, I think the situation would have had the same outcome. The law as written, will not protect Zimmerman if it is found that he was the aggressor.

While I respect your right to disagree with the law and the dissatisfaction with those who approved it, wishing that person will rot in hell is troubling.
BHM is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #230
Pro-Bowler

unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!unome_brother is a BEAST!
Trayvon Martin Case: 911 Audio Released Of Teen Shot By Neighborhood Watch Captain (AUDIO)

the third 911 call from the top is the smoking gun, no pun intended. if that's Martin yelling for help and then there's a clear gunshot in the background, doesn't that prove he was not the aggressor?

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 AM   #231
BHM
Can't please 'em all

BHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club Member
BHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBHM Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by unome_brother View Post
Trayvon Martin Case: 911 Audio Released Of Teen Shot By Neighborhood Watch Captain (AUDIO)

the third 911 call from the top is the smoking gun, no pun intended. if that's Martin yelling for help and then there's a clear gunshot in the background, doesn't that prove he was not the aggressor?

Not really. I will not listen to the tapes because I find the recording of a person dying to be a little unsettling.

Him yelling for help does not in itself mean he was not the aggressor. He could have gone after and threatened Zimmerman who then started whipping Martin's butt. I am not suggesting that is what happened but just pointing out that yelling for help does not always indicate who was the aggressor.
BHM is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #232
Hall-of-Famer

FullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true Saint
FullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true SaintFullMonte is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Does US law administered by the justice dept. trump Florida's "right to stand your ground law?"This is going to get very interesting
I don't know if that's going to be a factor.

If the investigation determines that Zimmerman was standing his ground, I don't think that the Justice Department will go much further.

However, since the reports seem to indicate that Zimmerman got out of his car, and chased Martin, the "stand your ground law" could become irrelevant. Chasing someone and shooting them isn't "standing your ground."

Quote:
The problem for the Justice Department is going to be the lack of a federal violation to enforce in he first place. There is no general federal murder charge. This does not really appear to be a hate crime that could implicate federal law,
Well, there are reports now that on the 911 tapes, Zimmerman can be heard making a racial slur right before he chases Martin down. That could be enough cause for a hate crime investigation.
FullMonte is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 07:47 AM   #233
Doctorate in Rockin-it

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Not really. I will not listen to the tapes because I find the recording of a person dying to be a little unsettling.

Him yelling for help does not in itself mean he was not the aggressor. He could have gone after and threatened Zimmerman who then started whipping Martin's butt. I am not suggesting that is what happened but just pointing out that yelling for help does not always indicate who was the aggressor.
I think you have to get pretty far fetched to come up with scenarios where Zimmerman reasonably feared for his life. Martin was walking away from Zimmerman. Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend having a conversation and continued to have a conversation with her as he was walking away from Zimmerman and Zimmerman closed on him. He was carrying a can of ice tea and some candy that he had just bought at the convenience store.

It isn't a question of whether someone was an "aggressor" - it's really simply a question of whether Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force. Did he reasonably fear for his life?

"I really have enjoyed talking with you baby, but hold on, I gotta go beat this guy to death with my Arizona tea."

It just doesn't add up to a credible story of reasonable fear of Zimmerman's life.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #234
The Scourge of Christians

Lustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger Club
Lustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger ClubLustmord 50K Burger Club
I wonder if the upcoming Ben stiller/Jonah Hill movie will get delayed? bad timing to be running that trailer all over the place
Lustmord is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #235
SR is my life!

2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member
2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member2009ring Prestigious Platinum Club Member

Awards Showcase
Photography Award Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:

Yeah but if Zimmerman is whipping the kids butt, there is no need for Zimmerman to shoot him.

Often times these things turn out to be a lot different at the end than they seemed at the beginning (see Duke lacrosse case) but more and more I'm convinced this one just may be at face value. And that's just plain horrible.
2009ring is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #236
More than 15K posts served!

JimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club Member
JimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club MemberJimEverett Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
I think you have to get pretty far fetched to come up with scenarios where Zimmerman reasonably feared for his life. Martin was walking away from Zimmerman. Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend having a conversation and continued to have a conversation with her as he was walking away from Zimmerman and Zimmerman closed on him. He was carrying a can of ice tea and some candy that he had just bought at the convenience store.

It isn't a question of whether someone was an "aggressor" - it's really simply a question of whether Zimmerman was justified in using deadly force. Did he reasonably fear for his life?

"I really have enjoyed talking with you baby, but hold on, I gotta go beat this guy to death with my Arizona tea."

It just doesn't add up to a credible story of reasonable fear of Zimmerman's life.
The problem with the law is that it allows people to create and/or escalate a situation and then shoot someone.
Essentially it allows someone to "bait" a person into making a threatening move and allowing that someone to shoot the baited person legally.
And the someone does not have to necessarily fear for his life. Just that he may suffer bodily harm or that a forcible felony is about to take place.
“We must realize that today’s Establishment is the new George III. Whether it will continue to adhere to his tactics, we do not know. If it does, the redress, honored in tradition, is also revolution." Justice William O. Douglas
JimEverett is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #237
Doctorate in Rockin-it

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post
The problem with the law is that it allows people to create and/or escalate a situation and then shoot someone.
Essentially it allows someone to "bait" a person into making a threatening move and allowing that someone to shoot the baited person legally.
And the someone does not have to necessarily fear for his life. Just that he may suffer bodily harm or that a forcible felony is about to take place.
I just can't believe that there is no standard of objectivity or reasonableness that goes with it. If that's truly the case, that it is based entirely on the subjective perception of the killer - then it challenges the our entire society and how we interact.

It simply cannot be that way.

And actually the law reads:
"if he or she reasonably believes [deadly force] is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

There is a reasonableness standard there.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #238
Administrator

DavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club Member
DavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club Member

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 

Setting up to be an important legal fight. Opinions from the authors of the "stand your ground" law:

The fathers of Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law implicated in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin say the man who shot him to death probably should be arrested and doesn’t deserve a self-defense claim of immunity.

“The guy lost his defense right then,” said Peaden. “When he said ‘I’m following him,’ he lost his defense.”

Under the law, a person who claims he was acting in self defense can be immune from arrest. But, like Peaden, Baxley said Zimmerman might have lost that right because he could have “aggravated” the situation and provoked a confrontation.

Said Baxley: “There’s nothing in this statute that authorizes you to pursue and confront people, particularly if law enforcement has told you to stay put. I don’t see why this statute is being challenged in this case. That is to prevent you from being attacked by other people.”

Stand Your Ground fathers: Trayvon Martin's killer should likely be arrested, doesn't deserve immunity | Naked Politics

Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM   #239
Doctorate in Rockin-it

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Setting up to be an important legal fight. Opinions from the authors of the "stand your ground" law:

The fathers of Florida’s controversial Stand Your Ground law implicated in the death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin say the man who shot him to death probably should be arrested and doesn’t deserve a self-defense claim of immunity.

“The guy lost his defense right then,” said Peaden. “When he said ‘I’m following him,’ he lost his defense.”

Under the law, a person who claims he was acting in self defense can be immune from arrest. But, like Peaden, Baxley said Zimmerman might have lost that right because he could have “aggravated” the situation and provoked a confrontation.

Said Baxley: “There’s nothing in this statute that authorizes you to pursue and confront people, particularly if law enforcement has told you to stay put. I don’t see why this statute is being challenged in this case. That is to prevent you from being attacked by other people.”

Stand Your Ground fathers: Trayvon Martin's killer should likely be arrested, doesn't deserve immunity | Naked Politics

I actually don't think there's going to be much of a legal fight. I don't see how the law can exculpate Zimmerman. It just doesn't apply in this case - he followed Martin. He created the confrontation. There's no apparent support for a conclusion that he reasonably feared for his life. It all makes the law inapplicable, so I don't see the law itself being put on trial.

At the arraignment or if there is a show cause hearing, his lawyer is going to offer this defense and the judge is going to deny it at this prelimnary stage. And then at his trial, he will attempt to prove this defense, but it doesn't appear that it is going to work.

He's going to be convicted for some kind of homocide. The more I read about this, the more I am convinced this is going to happen.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #240
Administrator

DavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club Member
DavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club MemberDavidM Prestigious Platinum Club Member

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 

Quote:
I actually don't think there's going to be much of a legal fight. I don't see how the law can exculpate Zimmerman. It just doesn't apply in this case - he followed Martin. He created the confrontation. There's no apparent support for a conclusion that he reasonably feared for his life. It all makes the law inapplicable, so I don't see the law itself being put on trial.
Sorry, I was thinking more in terms of moving forward but was too brief. While the authors and other supporters are defending the law, others are calling for it be repealed, or at least clarified.