Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 04-21-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Fleur de LEE

jayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saint
jayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saint
any tips on finding a job out of state?

my wife and I are looking to relocate to Florida. We're both realizing we want a change (she turned 30 last year, i just turned 29, probably has something to do with it)

I am currently a pipe designer at an engineering firm in Lafayette. I've been sending resumes out on Indeed and nothing. Is it because I'm in Lafayette and not a local candidate? I understand them wanting to hire someone that can start tomorrow.

Anyone have experience switching jobs out of state? We have our house on the market and just ready for a change.

until the Texans @ Saints
jayd265 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #2
Intervention needed!

guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Member
guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayd265 View Post
my wife and I are looking to relocate to Florida. We're both realizing we want a change (she turned 30 last year, i just turned 29, probably has something to do with it)

I am currently a pipe designer at an engineering firm in Lafayette. I've been sending resumes out on Indeed and nothing. Is it because I'm in Lafayette and not a local candidate? I understand them wanting to hire someone that can start tomorrow.

Anyone have experience switching jobs out of state? We have our house on the market and just ready for a change.
are you a fan of tennis and exhibitionism?
i've recently heard about some pipe laying in Florida

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
Super Forum Fanatic

Meachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Meachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club MemberMeachemdat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:

Get on Linked in and start talking to some recruiters in the area you want to move. Let them know you intend to re-locate. There are a lot of engineering openings here, but I can't speak for Florida.

Get your resume on EVERYTHING. Any site that you can post it up, do so. Get a professional looking linked in and add as many people as you can that you think will help.

Lastly? Pray....It's honestly hard to get a job right now, you really need luck on your side.
Meachemdat is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
Still P***ed at Yoko

Mr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club Member
Mr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club MemberMr. Blue Sky Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:

In my experience, if you're able to, your best option is to save up enough to live on for a few months, move there and THEN look to get a job... I've had success that way in the past when trying to relocate, as opposed to looking for a job from afar... then again, i was single and didnt have a family to think of.
Mr. Blue Sky is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
All-Pro

jumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
jumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famerjumpingoff is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
In my experience, if you're able to, your best option is to save up enough to live on for a few months, move there and THEN look to get a job... I've had success that way in the past when trying to relocate, as opposed to looking for a job from afar... then again, i was single and didnt have a family to think of.
This is what I would do (not based on personal experience btw) but at least you could consider yourself "local" and have a local address which may remove at least one barrier. And as Meachemdat said, linkedin and recruiters (who may or may not blow tons of smoke up your *** - definitely based on personal experience).
jumpingoff is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #6
Veteran Starter

Lafsaintsfan is marching in
Lafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching inLafsaintsfan is marching in
I relocated to Phoenix from Lafayette at the end of last year. Im in the foundation repair industry and used ziprecruiter to locate possible jobs. After finding one I liked, I looked them up online. Once I was sure this is who I wanted to work for, I submitted my resume to them via ziprecruiter and then contacted the company directly to speak with the owner. Flew out to have an interview and was hired on the spot but I asked if I could give my current employer at the time a months notice. He was all for it. I think I may have just gotten lucky but the process was very easy. Good luck to you.
Lafsaintsfan is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

bigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
bigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famerbigdog is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I know there are jobs available in Miami and Ft Lauderdale but may not be exactly what you want. The pay is pretty good on average. Career change is a big thing here. Just a heads up on how it could turn out if you make up your mind to move to Fla.
What is this? It is a prolate spheroid, an elongated sphere in which the outer leather casing is drawn tightly over a somewhat smaller rubber tubing. Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football." -- John Heisman
bigdog is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-21-2017, 03:33 PM   #8
Thread Killer Moderator

Saint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Saint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSaint_Ward Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:

Depends on the type of job. I had no problems relocating from Michigan to Louisiana and from Louisiana to Florida. You say you're a pipe designer for an engineering firm. Like, CAD work? got a degree or? What's your wife do?

I'll say this.. it depends on the type of work you do, degree, and company. I've had some companies that preferred local, because they wanted me to drive in and maybe pay for my lunch. I've had others fly me in, put me in a hotel, feed me, and let me stay a few days to check out the area.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Thread Killer Moderator

Florida as a whole underpays. And rent is over priced in most areas, so just be forewarned. There are exceptions, but people want to live here, so they use that to their advantage. Also, some traffic in very bad, depending on where you want to be.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Thread Killer Moderator

Often I look up specific companies and make sure my resume information is on their webpage.. then I also do the Indeed, Monster, etc. It might take a few months tough. The key is to identify the right job that you are qualified for and then pounce.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:30 PM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

Krodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Krodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club MemberKrodwhodat Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafsaintsfan View Post
I relocated to Phoenix from Lafayette at the end of last year. Im in the foundation repair industry and used ziprecruiter to locate possible jobs. After finding one I liked, I looked them up online. Once I was sure this is who I wanted to work for, I submitted my resume to them via ziprecruiter and then contacted the company directly to speak with the owner. Flew out to have an interview and was hired on the spot but I asked if I could give my current employer at the time a months notice. He was all for it. I think I may have just gotten lucky but the process was very easy. Good luck to you.

Who did you work for in Lafayette?

Krodwhodat is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2017, 04:12 PM   #12
Fleur de LEE

jayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saint
jayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saintjayd265 is a true Saint
i had a phone interview friday for a company in gainesville. they said they had a few more interviews to do and will let me know this week. not getting my hopes up. but is nice to get a phone call.

now we just need our house sold! been on the market 7 weeks.

until the Texans @ Saints
jayd265 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
Intervention needed!

good luck

Old 05-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
Very Panned
Parachute Panic Champion Disc Dash Champion V:force Champion Hexxagon Champion

Bronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Bronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club MemberBronson Prestigious Platinum Club Member
if its gainesville, i worked demolition when i lived there, so i could look up some of my old contacts if you're interested in that until you find what you're looking for

if it's south fl, i could get you a sales job