New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 07-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #29
Team Big Pimpin'

Big_L is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Big_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
So basically white people are the only ones in the country that are racist. Mmm ok if you say so...

Why is it that blacks are not trying to curb violence. When one of them commits a crime against another race or their on we hear not one peep out of the black community. Let it be the other way around and oh boy that's racist.

Why isn't Al or Barrack on tv trying to lower the crime rate amongst blacks. Guess its not really that important. I guess trying to undermine the judicial system is more important.

Btw I'm a correctional officer and I work in a medium security prison. I'd say 8/10 inmates are black. Now I wonder where all of that profiling comes from.
Well, there are a lot of steps that come into play prior to you seeing an inmate. They have to be arrested first. They have to actually get a court date, do they plea or go to trial. Of course the DA can drop the case anytime. If you look at arrest rates, 8 out of 10 arrests are not Blacks, and by the way, I am a police officer. I have arrested more white people than black people...
Big_L is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
Hall-of-Famer

Anteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to behold
Anteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to beholdAnteros77 is a splendid one to behold
I'm glad to know that the black men who kidnapped, tortured, and murdered my good friend a few years ago for being white apparently weren't racists.

The only way that line of thought works is if you believe that the only form of power it is possible to hold over someone is institutional...which is frankly an idiotic stance to take.
Anteros77 is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #31
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

saintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to all
saintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to allsaintly179 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rechargeable View Post
THANK U!!!! Its funny how "some ppl" wanna always bring up black-on-black crime when it comes to situations like Martin/Zimmerman...like decent black folk dont know whats going on in some of their own communities n arent trying anything to make a change. Talking bout "nothings being done"...they simply dont know what the freak theyre talking about. But since they always feel the need to go there...

Whats being done to keep these lil insane white teenage idiots from building a mini-arsenal n mowing down their white classmates at their high school?

Whats being done to keep another crazy white teenage kid from taking an automatic weapon n shooting up an elementary school full of white kids?

Whats being done to keep another looney white guy from taking automatic weapons into a movie theater n shooting up an entire room full of other white ppl?

Then they'll say thats not fair bcuz issues of insanity within the white community arent easy to deal with. Well, issues of socioeconomics within the black community are just as difficult to deal with, so maybe some should stop bringing them up as if they can b solved with a wave of a magic wand

As for Barkely, IMO he's an airhead, so I don't wanna hear his opinion on anything other than basketball/sports
saintly179 is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #32
Hall-of-Famer

Brandon13 is marching in
Brandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching inBrandon13 is marching in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteros77 View Post
I'm glad to know that the black men who kidnapped, tortured, and murdered my good friend a few years ago for being white apparently weren't racists.

The only way that line of thought works is if you believe that the only form of power it is possible to hold over someone is institutional...which is frankly an idiotic stance to take.
I mean, I have to agree.

In the U.S. then, why is institutionalized discrimination the only form of power in which the discrimination can be classified as racism? I get the point, I think, but there are a multitude of other scenarios in which some form of power can be exerted in the aid of race based discrimination.
Brandon13 is online now Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2013, 01:45 AM   #33
My Woman

Madhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to all
Madhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to allMadhattr is a name known to all
Racism is learned from the parents. You put a bunch of little kids in a room together of all races and they will play together like no ones business. They don't see color.

Just my 2 cents.

I may be a Saints fan but I'm sure as hell no Angel!!
XBOX Gamertag: Madhattr
Madhattr is offline Reply With Quote

10 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:08 AM   #34
Hall-of-Famer

smchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to behold
smchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to behold
What's hilarious is that most of the people in this thread will call Barkley an idiot any given day.
smchls23 is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #35
Team Big Pimpin'

Big_L is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Big_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBig_L is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_L View Post
Well, there are a lot of steps that come into play prior to you seeing an inmate. They have to be arrested first. They have to actually get a court date, do they plea or go to trial. Of course the DA can drop the case anytime. If you look at arrest rates, 8 out of 10 arrests are not Blacks, and by the way, I am a police officer. I have arrested more white people than black people...
Now I did say 8 out of 10 arrests are not black folks. Let me clarify by saying overall arrests, for every offense. But it does seem there is a disparity, beginning with the arrest level, in the US criminal justice system.

Disparity by race is reported in Oklahoma marijuana arrests | Tulsa World

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ests.html?_r=0

Pot report shows racial arrest disparities Local News Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

These 3 articles show the disparity in weed arrests across the US.

http://www.law.washington.edu/about/...ket_Sup_Ct.pdf
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rdusda.pdf
Racial Disparities in Criminal Justice
http://sentencingproject.org/doc/pub...0disparity.pdf

These article show that race does indeed play a much greater role than is often admitted. The GZ case illustrated a lot of people's real mindset here on SR.com. See folks, race is still an issue here in the US.
Big_L is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM   #36
Hall-of-Famer

Yeti is a glorious beacon of light
Yeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of lightYeti is a glorious beacon of light
Hmm first time I'd heard of this was today. Where was the outrage of the nation on this?

Attorney: Suspect in 12-year-old's death not 'stone-cold mean' - Houston Chronicle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 947273_547510161951027_875988460_n.jpg (33.0 KB, 100 views)
Yeti is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 AM   #37
Pro-Bowler

sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!sacked4loss is a BEAST!
I think some people forget that Zimmerman was not white.

7 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #38
Rookie

Frankensaint is on a distinguished roadFrankensaint is on a distinguished roadFrankensaint is on a distinguished roadFrankensaint is on a distinguished roadFrankensaint is on a distinguished roadFrankensaint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacked4loss View Post
I think some people forget that Zimmerman was not white.
Those people have an agenda of hate to push and nothing, not even the facts, will get in the way.
Frankensaint is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #39
Oye
tight like hallways

Oye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club Member
Oye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Why is it that blacks are not trying to curb violence. When one of them commits a crime against another race or their on we hear not one peep out of the black community.
This is not true. There was, for example, a story just a couple of days ago in the New York Times about Man Up in NYC, a local-initiative that resulted in no deaths or shootings for a year for a violent neighborhood. You don't have to look far, coast to coast, to find examples of people doing what you are saying is not happening.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that there are programs and initiatives that try and deal with all aspects of black crime and incarceration - from within the black community.

I think it's fair to hold Obama accountable. I think he's done no real good in this area, when it comes to rhetoric and action. His attitude toward incarceration and handling crime is just carrying forward awful policies - with a few changes (e.g. the Fair Sentencing Act which addressed the powder vs. crack disparity) that don't really address the larger issues.

Sharpton, meanwhile, has specifically targeted black on black violence on multiple occasions before, saying - for example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sharpton
Last year alone, nearly one black child a day under the age of 17 was shot and killed in New York City, shot mostly by other black city residents... Shootings and violence within our community by one of our own is an outrage and an issue that we must confront as diligently and as passionately as a sensational case of police misconduct or brutality

Now, I'm not defending Sharpton here because I think he often incites flames more than he helps, but to say that he hasn't addressed this at all is incorrect. I think it's more effective to level a justified and accurate criticism against someone rather than rely in a mistruth because the latter suggests a political/agenda interest rather than a sincere interest in the topic. Basically, the same thing you can criticize Obama and Sharpton for.

Quote:
Btw I'm a correctional officer and I work in a medium security prison. I'd say 8/10 inmates are black. Now I wonder where all of that profiling comes from.
Three things:

1. that might be true at your prison, but that single guess on your part isn't supported by the pure numbers: there are more whites in prisons than blacks. So if you're argument is that we should profile according to which demographic is most populous, are you saying we should profile white people more? You need to go beyond your prison, and beyond prison populations in general, to arrive at a point with an argument that coheres.

2. the investment of the corrections lobby in imprisoning more people is part of the problem. The amount of money from corrections corporations that finds its way into political pockets needs more attention. The fact that you are working in a context that is the final site for such a shameful process (that, nationally, constitutes a lot of law enforcement and adjudication and legislation and imprisonment) doesn't really shed much light on the overall process.

3. If blacks are more criminal than whites, then why is it that once some changes in profiling took place and where some law enforcement entities changed their emphasis in policing, arrest rates rose for whites but fell for blacks?

It's because blacks aren't more likely to abuse drugs than whites. It's, generally speaking, a matter of what gets the spotlight shone on it. As crack cocaine (which is a problematic issue because of the disproportionality of punishment called for by crack use vs. powder cocaine use, so that complicates even the cocaine numbers without even having to consider a second drug entirely to highlight the problem with your flat assumption) became less a focus and meth abuses became more of a focus, the incarceration of blacks for drugs dropped and the incarceration rates of whites for drug offenses rose.

Oye is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #40
Subscribing Member

mt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saint
mt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saintmt15 is a true Saint
The people who want to deflect criticism of the GZ verdict with their insincere ideas that "black people don't care about black on black crime" are wrong. Oye and others are doing a great job of refuting that.

What it reminds me of is the biblical question "Why do you look at the speck of dust in your brother's eye, while ignoring the log in your own eye?" (Going from memory, so may not be the exact quote.)

It's also like the child who, when chastised for wrongdoing, immediately rats on his sibling. "But look what Johnny did!"

It's a deflection tactic, "don't pay attention to the current issue, let's pay attention to this other issue that doesn't involve me at all or make me in the least bit uncomfortable." The conversation that still needs to happen on race in America cannot take place when these tactics are employed and applauded by so many.

5 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #41
SR is my life!

El Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger Club
El Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger Club
I agree with Sir Charles on this issue (what Chuck said, not the article posted). I think he hit the nail on the head when talking about the media, and their handling of this case. They were working every which way to wedge race into this, and twist it 5 ways to Sunday to make sure that racism was at the forefront (more so than the actual death of a young man). They handled their jobs about as well as a pack of monkey acting out "A Midsummer Night's Dream".

Was race an issue in terms of describing the suspect, not more than me calling the blue sky blue, but nothing more than that. If anything it was one stupid act by a couple of stupid guys that led to all of this, nothing more.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #42
you must chill

Location: Metairie- Mandeville (MHS) - Uptown - Alexandria VA
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt15 View Post
The people who want to deflect criticism of the GZ verdict with their insincere ideas that "black people don't care about black on black crime" are wrong. Oye and others are doing a great job of refuting that.

What it reminds me of is the biblical question "Why do you look at the speck of dust in your brother's eye, while ignoring the log in your own eye?" (Going from memory, so may not be the exact quote.)

It's also like the child who, when chastised for wrongdoing, immediately rats on his sibling. "But look what Johnny did!"

It's a deflection tactic, "don't pay attention to the current issue, let's pay attention to this other issue that doesn't involve me at all or make me in the least bit uncomfortable." The conversation that still needs to happen on race in America cannot take place when these tactics are employed and applauded by so many.
I think it depends on the purpose of the argument. The outrage of the black community is legitimate: young AA males are indeed profiled and subjected to suspicion in a way that most others are not, and definitely not whites. That suspicion was a big part of the events that led to TM's death. And deflecting that problem by saying 'where's the outrage when it's black on black' is largely irrelevant to that question.

But I still think that it is relevant that the broader evaluation and soul searching that this episode should cause should not be limited to profiling. The death rate among young AA males is far too high. It should all be unacceptable. There are things in the AA community that are tolerated and engendered that contribute to this reality and until the life of young AA males is valued by us all, it detracts from the impact of the argument that it should be more valued by some. IMO.
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.