New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Are you a Who Dat?

Saint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to behold
Saint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to beholdSaint Mike is a splendid one to behold
Question Crawfish pot, burner, etc.

I know there are several crawfish threads, but I couldn't find this specific information. I am looking to purchase a pot and burner and wanted to get recommendations regarding brand, size, etc. What say you?
Saint Mike is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
space monkey

antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
i find it cheaper to just borrow that stuff from a friend

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Veteran Starter

mrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enough
For a pot you definitely want the Cajun Rocket Pot. for a burner you will want something that puts out any where from 100,000 to 185,00 BTUs. Cajun Rocket pot is about $230 for a 100 QT.
mrcorkdork is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
No freaking way...

covingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
covingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famercovingtondog is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
My pot cost $100 from Wal mart and it is going on its 7th season of pretty heavy use. Any of the jet burners will do the job. I just got a new one from Academy and paid $40 for it and it worked fine for the 2 sacks I boiled on Saturday. There are better ones though. My buddy got his from Ace Hardware and his burns much hotter than mine. He sprung for the 40 PSI regulator too though.

DO NOT try to boil water with a burner made for frying.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcorkdork View Post
For a pot you definitely want the Cajun Rocket Pot. for a burner you will want something that puts out any where from 100,000 to 185,00 BTUs. Cajun Rocket pot is about $230 for a 100 QT.
i just heard about this thing Friday afternoon, while i was twiddling my thumbs waiting for my pot to roll....is that the one with the "nodes" on the bottom to hasten boiling?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
I'm need about TREE FITTY

Craigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enoughCraigj will become famous soon enough
What size pot do you use? I can't decide between 80qt or 100qt.
Craigj is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Subscribing Member

bayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to behold
bayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to beholdbayoubadboy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by efil4stnias View Post
i just heard about this thing Friday afternoon, while i was twiddling my thumbs waiting for my pot to roll....is that the one with the "nodes" on the bottom to hasten boiling?
Yes. That's the one.
I believe they're made locally, along with King Kooker products.

King Kooker, Outdoor Cooking Products

Cajun Rocket Pot - aluminum crawfish boiling pots

I understand the concept about the Rocket Pot but I have yet to see one in action and they are also 2X the cost of a traditional pot. I guess if you are one of those that needs to boil in a hurry that would be the way to go. I prefer the slow, drink-a-lot-of-beer method.

I have an 80qt. that I use for smaller gatherings and a 160 qt. that I can boil about 100 lbs. at a time in (without the basket).

The one pot I didn't care for is the one that is trough-like and the basket tilts out to dump.

Oh, and if you didn't know, the seasoning goes in the water and not on the cooked crawfish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigj View Post
What size pot do you use? I can't decide between 80qt or 100qt.
The size depends on how many pounds of crawfish you typically boil at a time and how much produce you add to the pot. It also depends on your boiling method. Some people like to put ice on their cooked crawfish to cool the water down and stop the cooking process. If that is the way you do it and you are boiling large sacks (40# or so) then I would go with the 100 qt. But if not, the 80 qt. would be fine.
bayoubadboy is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Hall-of-Famer

Leastbay is marching in
Leastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching in
80 qt aluminum pot, bayou classic dual burner, 60 psi propane regulator
Leastbay is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
High Plains Drifter

Maxp is a glorious beacon of lightMaxp is a glorious beacon of light
Maxp is a glorious beacon of lightMaxp is a glorious beacon of lightMaxp is a glorious beacon of lightMaxp is a glorious beacon of light
My burner is a little too slow in my opinion, the regulator is only 10 psi. Can I switch out the regulator to a 20 psi and not damaging the burner itself?
Each time I go to the zoo and see those porpoises crammed into tiny tanks, I think, "What a waste that is." Butcher half of them now! That's a lot of dolphin meat that can be fed to our cats, freeing up that tuna for our nation's hungry.
Maxp is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Hall-of-Famer

Leastbay is marching in
Leastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching inLeastbay is marching in
Yes. You don't even need the regulator. Many people use a needle valve. Ace hardware has the 60 psi regulators. I wouldn't use one smaller.
Leastbay is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
Veteran Starter

mrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enoughmrcorkdork will become famous soon enough
Yes! I boiled a whole sack with my new burner in a record 40 minutes from the time it was lit til I poured em out on the table. New burner puts out 185,000 btus.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
Veteran Starter

Yes! I boiled a whole sack with my new burner in a record 40 minutes from the time it was lit til I poured em out on the table. New burner puts out 185,000 btus.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
Saints Addict

Surviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to behold
Surviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to behold
Go to a place that builds burners and tell them you want one to boil crawfish. They will fix you up with the right burner. As for the pot Wal-Mart or Academy sells them or buy one online.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Pro-Bowler

dabestbank is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
dabestbank is a future SR.com Hall of Famerdabestbank is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
The pots are pretty much the same just depends on how much you want to boil at a time. The key is to get a good burner. I would recommend the 60PSI regulator.
dabestbank is offline Reply With Quote