Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 03-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #1
Hall-of-Famer

alohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Member
alohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Have movies really gotten this bad?

I remember seeing Jurassic World a year or so ago..I have always been a big Jurassic Park fan ever since I was a kid and I snuck over to the neighbor's house to watch it because my parents wouldn't let me see it at 9 years old. I remember really wanting the movie to be over (jurassic world) halfway through. Cheesy acting, terrible, shallow plot lines. The only decent scenes were the dinosaurs fighting which you had to wait until the end of the whole 2-3 hour movie to see.

Kong: Skull Island has become one of the most successful movies this year and has an excellent rating on rotten tomatoes. I can say with all honesty it was one of the most poorly thought out, shallow, goofy, childishly silly movies I have seen in a long, long time. It's as if they said "hey, throw in a few well known actors, some sad, tired joke lines and a 105 foot gorilla fighting grotesquely fake CGI sea monsters and the crowd will go wild!!". And they did and have. I was ready for this movie to be over about 15 minutes in after they imported most of the Remember the Titans soundtrack and starting talking about an island that has been covered by a perpetual storm system yet somehow is sunny inside the eyewall all year. The last King Kong with Jack freakin' Black was much better than this one, in my opinion. That's pretty sad, too.

Look, i'm in my mid twenties but I feel like an old man complaining about this. I'm not a cynical guy or negative nate, I just hate bad movies, especially when they are perpetuated by audiences with short attention spans that think monsters fighting on a big screen is enough for a movie to win a major award.

A lot of people thought Interstellar was very boring. I'll admit, I had my qualms with it too and there were a handful of unrealistic scenes, but I greatly appreciated that it tried to be scientifically accurate as possible. And the plot line was halfway believable. That was awesome!

I understand a lot of movies with superheroes or monsters are just remakes of classics and are nowhere near being realistic in the first place. Is it too much to ask that these movies at least have a script that is believable or relatable to modern life or somewhat complex? People want to relate to the movie, to think what it must be like to be a certain actor..It makes it really difficult when the storyline is just so cheesily unbelievable from the get go.

And that's why I appreciate movies that don't rely on special effects to reel in audiences and make a quick mil....Anyway, rant over!

(I promise I'm not a miserable old man)

But get off my lawn!
alohawhodat is offline Reply With Quote

11 out of 18 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
Intervention needed!

guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Member
guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Platinum Club Member
It's entirely possible that the tastes of a 9 yr old are different than a mid 20yr old

Each era has its mix of great, good, avg, bad, OMG who greenlit this abortion ?

11 out of 12 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
Subscribing Member

staphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Member
staphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Memberstaphory Prestigious Platinum Club Member
It's almost like the summer blockbuster is now a normal everyday movie now.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

Loco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Loco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLoco Hornet Fan is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
I probably share your opinions on movies to some extent, but I'm not sure a couple of cgi summer blockbusters are the most accurate representation. I don't think either movie was trying to be an oscar contender, just crowd pleasing "popcorn flicks".

Personally, I enjoyed Skull Island. I think their reach exceeded their grasp when they tried for some of the "Heart of Darkness" themes, but they wisely limited the flimsy human characters (unlike the recent "Godzilla") and made Kong and the monsters the main attractions. I felt that when the movie embraced its B movie, monster action roots, they knocked it out of the park. Again, nobody is going to throw too many roses at the movie's feet (not even rotten tomatoes), but I think many found it fun, largely mindless spectacle. Having said that, it certainly wasn't perfect and I don't think there is any issue with someone not liking it.

And this is subjective and not meant to be snarky, but if the realism of the mystical island's storm system barrier bothers you that much, then I would avoid all Dino clone and 100 foot tall gorilla movies.
Loco Hornet Fan is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

VoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true Saint
VoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true SaintVoodooChild85 is a true Saint
You should see get out. Definitely rejuvenated me
VoodooChild85 is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
STH since 2006

daybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Member
daybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Memberdaybreaker Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooChild85 View Post
You should see get out. Definitely rejuvenated me
See Logan, then see Get Out.

Faith in movies restored.

daybreaker is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #7
Never run out of Colt 45

Sun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Sun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSun Wukong Prestigious Platinum Club Member
So basically you wrote all that to say you didn't like Kong: Skull Island. OK.
Sun Wukong is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #8
Hall-of-Famer

alohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Member
alohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Memberalohawhodat Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Wukong View Post
So basically you wrote all that to say you didn't like Kong: Skull Island. OK.
I like you.
alohawhodat is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #9
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

gpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saint
gpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saintgpupil is a true Saint
Just hold tight CHIPS is coming out next weekend!!

gpupil is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #10
King of Wingdings

Stealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Stealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of FamerStealth Matrix is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
You want a real shocker, try watching some of the movies you liked when you were 9, now.
Stealth Matrix is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

RazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true Saint
RazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true SaintRazorSaint is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Matrix View Post
You want a real shocker, try watching some of the movies you liked when you were 9, now.
Like The Goonies, Ghostbusters, ET, Stand by Me, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, BIG, Field of Dreams? Gladly!

But yeah, I get your point. I also liked Lethal Weapon, Robo Cop, and The Lost Boys.
~Andrew Carnegie
RazorSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Super Forum Fanatic

retrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Member
retrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Memberretrobanana Prestigious Platinum Club Member
I get it. A lot of the big blockbuster movies that everybody raves about, I don't get. Like everybody loved that Avengers movie. I was bored to death. I don't think I got halfway through it.

I think my eyes get weary of all the big bust'em up special effects. Nobody has any restraint with that stuff anymore. It's all, destroy everything as much as possible. I think maybe the best movie I've seen in two years was Arrival and it had pretty much the bare minimum special effects, but what it did have was there because it was necessary to the story.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 AM   #13
Dog will hunt

antipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Member
antipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Memberantipop Prestigious Platinum Club Member
I have no intention of seeing Kong but I found out that when I stopped yelling at the kids on my lawn, I was able to enjoy a lot more things
antipop is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
Super Forum Fanatic

Tater is a glorious beacon of light
Tater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of lightTater is a glorious beacon of light
So far "The Accountant" and "Hacksaw Ridge" has been the best movies I have seen this year.

Tried "Manchester by the Sea", but could only take about 30 minutes of it before I shut it off.
Tater is offline Reply With Quote