New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 05-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Super Forum Fanatic

bozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to all
bozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to all
Home AC

I just moved into a new renovation. The unit is two stories, with two separate AC units. Both fans are blowing indoors, but neither outside unit is. The fans aren't spinning, the units aren't humming nor getting hot.

I also just noticed that my gas isn't hooked up yet. The furnace in the attic is gas, as is the water heater.

Any idea what's wrong with my AC? Probably can't get in touch with my landlord till Monday
bozoka45 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
Administrator

SharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger Club
SharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger Club
Google the model make and number. There's a lot of good info published, and even repair manuals. If they're heatpumps, the water line has to be turned on.
SharonT is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Pro-Bowler

E Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
E Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of FamerE Pluribus Unum is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
If they're heatpumps, the water line has to be turned on.
E Pluribus Unum is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
Administrator

SharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger Club
SharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger ClubSharonT 50K Burger Club
Okay, so now you don't have to put your age in your profile. We have a good ballpark figure.

And if those units are new, you pretty much figure they worked enough to get signed off. It's probably just a setting or switch. You didn't test them before moving in? Has the place been hot this whole time?
SharonT is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
Pro-Bowler

Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!Jeff is a BEAST!
As Sharon said re: a switch, have you checked the breaker/disconnect for each condensor? With no hum from the motor and compressor, they aren't getting power (or isn't being told to switch on.) Breakers would be the easiest and best place to start.
Jeff is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
BHM
Can't please 'em all

BHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
BHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
Just to add to what was already suggested. Both unit not on would probably mean that there is nothing wrong with the unit. Again, check the breakers in your breaker panel AND check the disconnects outside by the units. Each unit should have its own disconnect.

Some disconnects are fused and some are not. Make sure they are in the ON position.
BHM is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
BHM
Can't please 'em all

BHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
If they're heatpumps, the water line has to be turned on.

You have me scratching my head on this one. I never heard of water going to a heat pump. I know they have heat pumps that uses water but I did not think they were too common.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
Super Forum Fanatic

bozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to allbozoka45 is a name known to all
Breakers and disconnects were the first thing I checked. They're all on or in the correct position.

Hopefully this gets fixed today.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
Super Forum Fanatic

Expatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club Member
Expatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club MemberExpatriate Prestigious Gold Club Member
If no one has been staying in the unit, they may have pulled the connector at the outside unit(s) and flipped it over then reinserted. There should be a gray junction box that feeds power to the unit. Open it up and see if the black plastic connector is in with the right side up. IIRC it will be labeled.
Expatriate is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #10
ALL. THE. WAY.

jrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
jrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famerjrdbrn is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Put the fan on auto and turn on your AC.

merp

since my boy was born!
jrdbrn is offline Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

Apparently, there was a fuse missing on the outside unit. 2 minute fix. It works fine now. I didn't open the electrical panel up to even check it.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
BHM
Can't please 'em all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozoka45 View Post
Breakers and disconnects were the first thing I checked. They're all on or in the correct position.

Hopefully this gets fixed today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozoka45 View Post
Apparently, there was a fuse missing on the outside unit. 2 minute fix. It works fine now. I didn't open the electrical panel up to even check it.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #13
Super Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHM View Post
The circuit breakers and service disconnects were fine. A fuse was missing from the electrical panel on the units themselves. I wasn't aware of anything in there, and didn't bother to open it up (it's tough to reach). So yes, there are three separate things.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #14
BHM
Can't please 'em all

Just messin with ya.