New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 08-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
All-Pro

SaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
SaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Hooking up a generator?

Let's say that person has a portable generator, like a 8 kw that they would like to hook up directly to the house if power goes out.

Most people in this position have a switch wired in already.

Let's say that a person doesn't have this switch.

How would one HYPOTHETICALLY hook up the generator directly to the panel since it's against the law/rules whatever to pull your meter?
SaintShane is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
party lamp

buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
I don't know. I run extension cords.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:38 PM   #3
Welcome to Thunderdome

Brennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club Member
Brennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club MemberBrennan77 Prestigious Gold Club Member
If you don't know what you are doing, don't try. You could hurt yourself. Is just run electrical cords to your essentials.

“We are not spared dark nights. They are clearly necessary, so that we can learn through suffering, so that we can acquire freedom and maturity and above all else a capacity for sympathy with others.” Pope Benedict XVI
Brennan77 is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Carpathian Warlock

uproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
uproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Fameruproar90 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzd View Post
I don't know. I run extension cords.
You have extension cords?!? Can I evacuate to your house?

I'll bring beer & chips.
uproar90 is online now Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
party lamp

buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by uproar90 View Post
You have extension cords?!? Can I evacuate to your house?

I'll bring beer & chips.
Mmm I like chips.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
"BUGJUICE"

sykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
sykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersykobob671 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintShane View Post
Let's say that person has a portable generator, like a 8 kw that they would like to hook up directly to the house if power goes out.

Most people in this position have a switch wired in already.

Let's say that a person doesn't have this switch.

How would one HYPOTHETICALLY hook up the generator directly to the panel since it's against the law/rules whatever to pull your meter?

If you do not have the proper switching equipment, do not even try.
You do not know when the the power will be turned back on to your home. you could easily be electrocuted, lose your generator or anything plugged into the outlets.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:41 AM   #7
BHM
Can't please 'em all

BHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
BHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
You could also endanger those working on the lines. Do not do it!
BHM is online now Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sykobob671 View Post
If you do not have the proper switching equipment, do not even try.
You do not know when the the power will be turned back on to your home. you could easily be electrocuted, lose your generator or anything plugged into the outlets.
if you back feed your panel, you MUST REMEMBER TO TURN OFF MAIN BREAKER at bottom of panel ( in case power comes back on ) . Flip all your breakers off...then flip the ones you want on, back.

you can back feed thru dryer outlet if you want to go that route. Again, its not the safest and you will have to see how your generator works with your appliances on ( I would advise to keep AC breaker off as that will knock out your generator if it comes on )

I had an electrician come out and wire me to do this. He put little laminated notes to remind me the steps to take when I go to do this.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
All-Pro

SaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
SaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaintShane is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I do completely understand what most of you are saying about not doing it if you don't know what you're doing.

I would never take a chance electricuting myself.

What my dad always used to do was actaully pull his meter completely out, taking away the chance of getting shocked or taking a chance of backfeeding the line where it could shock a worker.

I think he would pull the meter and then connect his generator cable on the bottom of the meter panel which would feed the house.

Kinda just wondering if you did this, what the power company would really do if they see you cut the tag to pull the meter out.....HYPOTHETICALLY of course.
SaintShane is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Hall-of-Famer

moe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
moe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famermoe1967 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
If you gotta ask, then don't do it.
moe1967 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

Brown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Brown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
A neighbor of mine did something like this. He was hanging out with his son drinking beer all day, hooking up the generator like he knew what he was doing.

The storm hit that night and his power went out. He went out to crank up the generator and a loud explosion preceeded a fire on the side of his house. He was battling a fire and 100mph winds all at the same time while his wife yelled at him.

Would have made a nice short film.

www.christmasjars.com
Brown is offline Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
BHM
Can't please 'em all

BHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
BHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club MemberBHM Prestigious Gold Club Member
I am not a licensed electrician so I am shocked that a licensed electrician would have you back feeding through the dryer circuit.

A 7,500 watt generator could push over 60 amps and I most dryers are wired with #10 copper which is not rated for over 30 amps
BHM is online now Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #13
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHM View Post
I am not a licensed electrician so I am shocked that a licensed electrician would have you back feeding through the dryer circuit.

A 7,500 watt generator could push over 60 amps and I most dryers are wired with #10 copper which is not rated for over 30 amps
OH NOOOOOO NO NO.

I have a dedicated line ....heck no im not back feeding thru dryer outlet. Ive seen that done was all i was speaking about. Merely suggestion and I said not the safest...but I guess i wasnt clear....NOT AT ALL SUGGESTING OP do that.

I had electrician ( licensed master ) come out and install a whole set up with dedicated line to my panel.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Homey

blupony is on a distinguished roadblupony is on a distinguished roadblupony is on a distinguished roadblupony is on a distinguished roadblupony is on a distinguished roadblupony is on a distinguished roadblupony is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHM View Post

A 7500 watt generator can only push 60 amps at 120v. At 240v (which is what most dryers outlets are) it can only push about 30 amps.

That being said, it isn't what the generator can push, but what the appliances will pull.
Since there should be a 30amp breaker going to the outlet, you aren't going to be pulling more than 30 amps through it anyway.

I am not recommending you do this, but if you decide to, just remember to switch main breaker OFF before connecting the generator and not to switch it back ON until generator is shut down and disconnected.
blupony is online now Reply With Quote