New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #1
Subscribing Member

Swampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true Saint
Swampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true SaintSwampy Saint is a true Saint
Jambalaya and white beans

Who has the best?

There's a chain in Baton Rouge / Gonzales that called the Jambalaya Shop. I believe they used to have one in Laplace as well.
I prefer the one in Gonzales.

Also,
Anyone have rice cooker jambalaya recipe they care to share?
Swampy Saint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
party lamp

buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
Like most true cajun dishes, you're not going to find jambalya in a lot of restaurants. Most cajun dishes (etoufees, stews, piquantes) are one pot dishes designed to be cooked at home for groups and are best done that way. They don't translate to restaurants really well.

That said, for jambalaya, I would probably go the The Bon Ton or Ye Olde College Inn. There are probably a handful of other places that have it.

The Galley on Metairie Rd has a good plate of white beans, and I think the smothered rabbit (Thursdays) at New Orleans Food & Spirits comes with white beans.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
the dude in the selfie

Zack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club Member
Zack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzd View Post
and I think the smothered rabbit (Thursdays) at New Orleans Food & Spirits comes with white beans.
its been a couple of years but I used to get that quit a bit. Pretty good dish. I seem to remember them having fried Catfish and white beans too on Fridays.
Zack Lee is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Hey! Where's Perry?

gboudx has disabled reputation

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Like most true cajun dishes, you're not going to find jambalya in a lot of restaurants. Most cajun dishes (etoufees, stews, piquantes) are one pot dishes designed to be cooked at home for groups and are best done that way. They don't translate to restaurants really well.
I can understand jambalaya, but why would etouffees, stews and piquantes(fricassee as well) not translate to a restaurant? Seems if gumbo and red/white beans translate, those should too. They're all poured over rice.
gboudx is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
Fleur-de-lis underwear

Location: Helotes, TX via Lafayette, NOLA, Australia, Japan, Florida, Colorado
melman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
melman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famermelman is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Seems seafood stews/gumbos would not keep very well with a big pot sitting on a stove on low fire waiting for an order...the shrimp and fish would over cook and get rubbery midway thru supper time. Guess you could put some juice in a small pot and put fresh seafood and boil the heck out of it for 5 min, then cover with more stock juice...
melman is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

My kitchen

Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
Veteran Starter

CajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura aboutCajunInVA has a spectacular aura about
After years of attempts and tweeking, I feel like my jambalaya (pork and chicken/sausage) is finally within being 80-85% as good as my grandma's. The latest improvement has been the consistency of my rice. It's getting better and better, and more like Ma-ma's. When I get to the 90% range, I'll have North Carolina talking (and may be willing to cook it for someone else from Acadia Parrish).
CajunInVA is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy Saint View Post
Also,
Never done it in a rice cooker. Maybe they have fancier rice cookers then mine where it would work, but I can't conceptualize it.

I always do Jumbalaya in the oven. You get the brown and crusty bits on the edges.

Anyways, in concept, it's pretty damn simple. You need stock, generally chicken stock but a seafood stock works too. You need your vegetable base, sauteed onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic. Seasoning, bay leaves, red pepper, oregano, parsley, whatever else you like. For instance, if you are using andouille then chipolte is a pretty good pepper to use. Then your protein, which can be pretty much any protein. Chicken, seafood, sausage, some combination, it can all work. Tasso and andouille are pretty standard, the smokiness adds a lot and like I said above, pair it with seasonings like chipolte. I don't go much for tomatoes in jumbalaya, some rotel tomatoes is about as far as I go.

Anyways, the jist is simple. Sautee your vegetables, season and brown your protein(s), combine with your stock and the rice, throw it in the oven, you're done. Real simple

White beans are even easier. Soak your beans, put your stock on in the morning (left over ham bone, onions, celery, garlic. And don't skimp on the vegetables. I mean onions, plural, bunch of celery, lot of garlic. Get a stock pot with a strainer basket insert, you dont even need to peel or prep it really. Cut it all in half and toss it in).

Pull the basket it out hours later, toss the veggies (there's no flavor left in them so no point in trying to save it), let the ham cool and chop it up. Toss it in the pot, toss in your soaked beans. Throw some additional veggies in there if you want, throw some additional protein in (like sausage) if you want. Cook them as long as you want. Since you soaked the beans it won't take too long. They'll split when you soak so the longer you cook them the mushier they'll get and thicker your stock gets. Same principal as red beans, it's how you get that thick texture.

White beans I tend to do soupier then red beans though. If you want it thick, the trick is reserve half and put them in later so at least some keep their texture.

I like my white beans with pepper sauce.

Anyways, the key to all this stuff is your stock. Don't be the lame-*** who puts on a giant stock pot full of water with like one or two of those tiny ham hocks from walmart, half an onion, couple stalks of celery, and two cloves of garlic. I mean come on.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Practice Squad

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunInVA View Post
After years of attempts and tweeking, I feel like my jambalaya (pork and chicken/sausage) is finally within being 80-85% as good as my grandma's. The latest improvement has been the consistency of my rice. It's getting better and better, and more like Ma-ma's. When I get to the 90% range, I'll have North Carolina talking (and may be willing to cook it for someone else from Acadia Parrish).
Ever try brown rice? You'd never know it was brown rice, but it holds up significantly better in the oven for the length of time you want it in there.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
Hey! Where's Perry?

gboudx has disabled reputation

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 

>> Anyways, the jist is simple. Sautee your vegetables, season and brown your protein(s), combine with your stock and the rice, throw it in the oven, you're done. Real simple

Covered or uncovered?
gboudx is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

livefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true Saint
livefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true SaintlivefromDC is a true Saint
Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't jambalaya a true creole dish that has been adapted by cajuns?
livefromDC is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
the dude in the selfie

Zack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club Member
Zack Lee Prestigious Gold Club MemberZack Lee Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefromDC View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't jambalaya a true creole dish that has been adapted by cajuns?
I thought it was the other way around. The creole version or New Orleans style here has tomatoes in it. I don't like the real red stuff (reminds of boxed brand) but I use John Besh version when I cook the chicken and sausage Jambalaya and he adds just a little bit.
Zack Lee is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #13
Finally Made It!

Wraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popularWraith is becoming pretty popular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy Saint View Post
Who has the best?

There's a chain in Baton Rouge / Gonzales that called the Jambalaya Shop. I believe they used to have one in Laplace as well.
I prefer the one in Gonzales.

Also,
1 lb Andouille sliced
1 1/2 cups rice (using the rice cooker measuring cup)
1 can beef broth
1 med onion chopped
3 cloves garlic mined
1 stick butter or margarine cut into 4 or 5 pieces
Cayenne Pepper to taste

Throw it all together in your rice cooker. I use this recipe when I don't have time or too lazy to make it on the stove.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #14
party lamp

buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by livefromDC View Post
There aren't really any true creole dishes. By definition, creole is a mishmash of various cultures (can be any, but in New Orleans, it's usually some blend of French, Spanish, African, Acadian and Carribean). The dishes are the same way. For example the brown butter sauce in meuniere and almandine is actually a classic french sauce.