Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 03-17-2009, 01:13 PM   #57
miles away

Wahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true Saint
Wahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true Saint

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
you win
lol, that probably depends on one's perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra View Post
I had crazy heel pain in my left foot a few weeks ago, so I haven't run in over 2 weeks. It feels better now, so I might go out for a short 4 mile run to test it. I've been biking to try to keep exercising.. I rode 22 miles yesterday.
Quote:

I tried a 4 mile run last night (33 minutes)... my ankle and arch are still kinda messed up.
Might have to stick to cycling and spin class for another week.
But I really need to do more running before that marathon on May 31st.
I'd wager quite a bit that you have a case of Plantar Fasciitis.

Quote:
50 miles? What kind of crackhead are you?

Ya, I get that reaction a lot. Now that I can't run fast any more, I just run longer
we will take any sort of evidence as proof of what we already believe
Wahoo is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #58
Rookie

Murphyz is on a distinguished roadMurphyz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmdterps View Post
good area to run!

I feel the same about the 1/2 marathon distance. Though I've run full marathons, the 1/2 is easier to run and train for without completely disrupting the rest of your life, as did 20-22 mile training runs. The 1/2 marathon still gives you a feeling of accomplishment and allows you to still be functional afterward.
That's exactly how I feel about running halfs - I just don't have time to train for a full marathon, but if I run less than 10k it doesn't feel like I've gotten a work-out..Maybe someday when I have more time to train
Murphyz is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #59
Super Forum Fanatic
UFO Shoot Out Champion

andrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saint
andrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saintandrew76021 is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post

Ya, I get that reaction a lot. Now that I can't run fast any more, I just run longer

Just out of curiosity, what build are you? I would guess that you have a smaller frame to be able to run that kind of distance. I don't think Forrest Gump ran that far.

From a coaching perspective, what do you think my ideal training/jogging speed should be? I am 6' 0", 182 lbs. I assume there has to be some kind of speed I am supposed to be running. I can do a 1/2 marathon right now walking, but that isn't really running a race to me. I ran 6.5 mph last weekend and only lasted a little over 3 miles. Mind you, I have only been running for a month. I was very athletic in highschool playing tennis until I was a Sophomore in college, I just have let the booze and women get the best of me. Now that I am married with children, I no longer have those temptations.......yeah right.

andrew76021 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #60
I got a 427 for my Z28

saintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saint
saintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphyz View Post
That's exactly how I feel about running halfs - I just don't have time to train for a full marathon, but if I run less than 10k it doesn't feel like I've gotten a work-out..Maybe someday when I have more time to train
The 10k-1/2 marathon seems to be the most satisfying distance for me, especially because they leave me with enough energy to drink beer after the race

I'm just trying to maintain now, I'm not really concerned about getting faster/stronger. When I was in my 30's I got the bright idea to bench press 315 pounds then go directly to the starting line of a 10-mile race, which I ran in 86:10. No mas, mi amigos!!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:20 PM   #61
Super Forum Fanatic

TheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
TheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownSaintsFan View Post

also on my mix is the jim henderson, hakim drops the ball call.
Haha, I put that on a CD I made once
TheDeuce53 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #62
I got a 427 for my Z28

saintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saint
saintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saintsaintmdterps is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew76021 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what build are you? I would guess that you have a smaller frame to be able to run that kind of distance. I don't think Forrest Gump ran that far.
I'm curious as to what build all you other runners are? I'm 5'10" 185lbs. with still mostly muscle/weightlifter body. I'm usually in the Clydesdale division of most races

When I pulled off the 315bench/10 mile race, I was 195 and about 7-8% body fat, so I've never been the lean, lanky kind of runner

Last edited by saintmdterps; 03-17-2009 at 02:30 PM.
saintmdterps is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #63
miles away

Wahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true SaintWahoo is a true Saint

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what build are you? I would guess that you have a smaller frame to be able to run that kind of distance. ....
5'10" between 160-165 lbs, the weight has crept up over the past 10 years, for a long time was in the high 140/low 150 range, what most track people would call a middle distance (miler, 5k) build.

Quote:
From a coaching perspective, what do you think my ideal training/jogging speed should be? I am 6' 0", 182 lbs. I assume there has to be some kind of speed I am supposed to be running. I can do a 1/2 marathon right now walking, but that isn't really running a race to me. I ran 6.5 mph last weekend and only lasted a little over 3 miles. Mind you, I have only been running for a month. I was very athletic in highschool playing tennis until I was a Sophomore in college, I just have let the booze and women get the best of me. Now that I am married with children, I no longer have those temptations.......yeah right.
For someone just starting out, my recommendation is to maintain a pace where you don't have to start walking part-way through your run (i.e., you can finish the entire run at a given pace without walking). Gradually build up your distance over a period of several months. 6 1/2 miles seems like a pretty significant run for someone who has been running for only a month. For someone just starting, I'd suggest 2 to 4 miles, 3 to 4 times a week initially. Do that more a month or so. Monitor yourself for little aches and pains that can turn into bigger problems (shin splints are usually the main issue with "new" runners). Make sure you stretch after your runs. Run at a "conversational" pace (a pace where you literally could hold a converation with someone while you are running, and not be gasping for breath). It may seem slow, but the idea is to build up your aerobic base. It probably sounds corny, but the main thing is, make it fun and not work. Too many people turn it into a chore. Hope this helps some.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #64
I got a 427 for my Z28

Quote:
5'10" between 160-165 lbs, the weight has crept up over the past 10 years, for a long time was in the high 140/low 150 range, what most track people would call a middle distance (miler, 5k) build.

For someone just starting out, my recommendation is to maintain a pace where you don't have to start walking part-way through your run (i.e., you can finish the entire run at a given pace without walking). Gradually build up your distance over a period of several months. 6 1/2 miles seems like a pretty significant run for someone who has been running for only a month. For someone just starting, I'd suggest 2 to 4 miles, 3 to 4 times a week initially. Do that more a month or so. Monitor yourself for little aches and pains that can turn into bigger problems (shin splints are usually the main issue with "new" runners). Make sure you stretch after your runs. Run at a "conversational" pace (a pace where you literally could hold a converation with someone while you are running, and not be gasping for breath). It may seem slow, but the idea is to build up your aerobic base. It probably sounds corny, but the main thing is, make it fun and not work. Too many people turn it into a chore. Hope this helps some.
Not to nitpick, but he said he ran 6.5 mph for 3 miles, as opposed to 6.5 miles..

Otherwise, great advice!

Old 03-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #65
Still P***ed at Yoko

Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Quote:

great, great advice from my 'casual runner's' perspective-- especially the part i bolded. I know for a fact that if i didn't look forward to my run so much, and if i didn't see it as a 'fun' escape from everything else i have going on-- i simply wouldn't do it.

right now i'm laid up with a pinched nerve or something in my neck (happens once every couple of years) and it's driving me crazy that i can't get out there and take advantage of this great weather-- hopefully in a couple more days...
Mr. Blue Sky is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #66
Still P***ed at Yoko

Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Quote:

how in the world does your weight go up at all when you run as much as you do? i would think that you could eat a diet of Michael Phelpsian proportions with as many calories as you must expend.
Mr. Blue Sky is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 02:56 PM   #67
miles away

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintmdterps View Post
Not to nitpick, but he said he ran 6.5 mph for 3 miles, as opposed to 6.5 miles..

Otherwise, great advice!

Doh, good catch ! 6.5mph ---> ok, that's about 9:15 per mile (time per mile is the best way to refer to running pace), seems pretty reasonable for someone starting out. And if he made a bit over 3 miles before having to walk, that probably indicates just a bit faster than he should be going at this point. May want to slow a bit, run at something more like 10 minutes per mile.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #68
miles away

Awards Showcase
Survivor Bowl Champion 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
how in the world does your weight go up at all when you run as much as you do? i would think that you could eat a diet of Michael Phelpsian proportions with as many calories as you must expend.
Getting older (metabolism slows a lot for most people once you get into your mid-40s and beyond) and training less/not as hard as I used to. Plus my wife is a seriously good cook.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #69
ra
I'm happily on drugs

ra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
ra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famerra is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:

I'd wager quite a bit that you have a case of Plantar Fasciitis.

That's how I self-diagnosed it as well. I've been trying to stay off it, but I'm not sure how long I am supposed to. I'm hoping another week should be enough.
ra is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #70
I got a 427 for my Z28

Quote:
Getting older (metabolism slows a lot for most people once you get into your mid-40s and beyond) and training less/not as hard as I used to. Plus my wife is a seriously good cook.
In your defense, the body also acclimates to levels of effort. While training for my first marathon, I dropped to 175. The weight crept back up to 180-185 over the next two years even though I continued to train at the same level and ran 4 more marathons and several half-marathons.

My best was 4:21 at the Shamrock Marathon in Virginia Beach. A great, well-organized race for anyone in the area!!