Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

View Poll Results: Would you buy packaged "seasoned" packages of meat at the grocery store?
Yes, there's nothing wrong with it. 17 32.08%
No, the "seasoning" is used to mask that the meat is going bad. 30 56.60%
Other, I'll explain 6 11.32%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #16
Professional

Paul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club Member
Paul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club MemberPaul Prestigious Gold Club Member
A few years ago, somebody here directed me to my local butcher. Thanks, whoever you be.
Paul is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
Very Banned

Saint Marshall is a jewel in the rough
Saint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the roughSaint Marshall is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by purvis_guy View Post
We bought chicken ONCE at Walmart, never again.
I bought some burger patties from Walmart once....

The "great value" ones that are like 6 bucks

I was sick for a week after eating them...

never again..
Saint Marshall is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
Silvergun Superman

LafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
LafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLafourcheSaint is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
I'd prefer to season it myself anyway.

I guarantee I do a better job than the store.
LafourcheSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #19
cpg
Very Banned

cpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Member
cpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Membercpg Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Seasoned meat is people.
cpg is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #20
Very Banned

LickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
LickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of FamerLickenKittens is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgrillot View Post
Seasoned meat is people.
/thread
LickenKittens is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
Very Banned

DadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true Saint
DadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true Saint
http://consumerist.com/2010/02/would...this-meat.html

DadsDream is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
Stop Resisting!

SWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club Member
SWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club MemberSWJJ Prestigious Platinum Club Member
I prefer to buy fresh meat from a few specific places in town, when convenience or budget dictates differently I don't hold back from buying marked to move meat, I am always cooking it that evening if I am in that situation. I never buy preseasoned, I season to match sides or wines and you can't get some Generic "seasoned" meat.

Though I would never buy meat from wal mart, my local SAMs has surprisingly high quality meat. I buy pork chops (bnls loin cut about an inch thick) boneless chicken breasts in family packs once a month or so freeze what I don't plan to use over the next week and am very happy with the quality. When I can't get (or afford) beef tenderloin filets from my prefered butcher, SAMs is actually the best replacement in town (Shreveport). I have not found myself trying any other of their meats but would be willing to do so when the opportunity arises.

~Mark Twain
SWJJ is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #23
More than 15K posts served!

Taurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Taurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club MemberTaurus Prestigious Platinum Club Member
What I want to know is when did 'select' become the new 'choice'?

Trigeminal Neuralgia rocks your face!
Taurus is online now Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
Very Banned

DadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true SaintDadsDream is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
What I want to know is when did 'select' become the new 'choice'?
When the health issue nuts decided that less marbling means lower fat, which is "healthier" and should therefore be more expensive.

The reality, however, remains unchanged:

Quote:
USDA Select is not very far above the bottom of the edible barrel, though some major chain stores will try and infer to a consumer that Select is a premium grade that is often marketed with a "catchy brand".

USDA Select is generally the lowest grade of steak you will find at a supermarket or restaurant. You will find it tougher, less juicy and less flavorful since it is leaner that Prime and Choice with very little marbling. The texture of Select is generally more coarse. Therefore, Select is not nearly as enjoyable or desirable.

http://www.primesteakhouses.com/how-...ades-beef.html

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #25

BullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true Saint
BullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true SaintBullDawg is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
A few years ago, somebody here directed me to my local butcher. Thanks, whoever you be.
^This^

Most smaller, locally owned grocery chains get their meat locally. I know the one I primarily go to gets the whole cow, pig, whatever from local farms and will gladly cut the meat however you want. There is also a local meat store I'll go to that does the same thing. Why go to the national chain and buy cattle from God-only-know-where that was fed with God-only-knows-what?
BullDawg is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 08:07 PM   #26
Hall-of-Famer

T.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club Member
T.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club MemberT.P. Prestigious Gold Club Member
Sam's actually is the best deal/meat around for me. I get Flank, Rib Eye, Country Ribs from there and am quite satisfied by the price and the quality of the meat. I just picked up 8LBS of thick sliced bacon for around 15 bucks. The deals on the Roasts (beef or pork)are real good.
T.P. is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 12:25 AM   #27
Super Forum Fanatic

bozoka45 is a splendid one to beholdbozoka45 is a splendid one to beholdbozoka45 is a splendid one to behold
bozoka45 is a splendid one to beholdbozoka45 is a splendid one to behold
I don't usually buy seasoned meat because I feel like I can do it myself. Anywho, I read once that meat sold in the grocery store sells better when it's red, because that appears to be fresher. However, meat tastes better when it's aged for a few days and cooked after it's brown. The advice was from a chef who just chalked it up to the uneducated American consumer.

In short though, I'm not too concerned about my meat as long as it smells fine AFTER I cook it. If it's cooked thoroughly and smells delicious, it should be fine (same goes for veggies that are a little older than they should be).
bozoka45 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
Very Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozoka45 View Post
I don't usually buy seasoned meat because I feel like I can do it myself. Anywho, I read once that meat sold in the grocery store sells better when it's red, because that appears to be fresher. However, meat tastes better when it's aged for a few days and cooked after it's brown. The advice was from a chef who just chalked it up to the uneducated American consumer.

In short though, I'm not too concerned about my meat as long as it smells fine AFTER I cook it. If it's cooked thoroughly and smells delicious, it should be fine (same goes for veggies that are a little older than they should be).
High end restaurants have their own meat aging rooms and charge premium prices for aged heavy beef. If you saw it, you'd think it needed to be thrown out.

Dry aged beef sits on a shelf in a tightly controlled temp and humidity room for up to a month.

http://www.ifood.tv/blog/what-is-the...-wet-aged-beef

They line the walls of the aging room with rock salt blocks to soak up any humidity in the air.

Dry aging room, David Burke's Primehouse Chicago

Chicago Culinary Chat Forum
http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic...&sd=a&start=30

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #29
Formerly TC Baby

whoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
whoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famerwhoah whoah is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
mmmmmmmmm meat.....
whoah whoah is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #30
King of Nuttin'

KingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to behold
KingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to beholdKingBarkus is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
Sam's actually is the best deal/meat around for me. I get Flank, Rib Eye, Country Ribs from there and am quite satisfied by the price and the quality of the meat. I just picked up 8LBS of thick sliced bacon for around 15 bucks. The deals on the Roasts (beef or pork)are real good.
Another vote for Sam's. I buy the marinated pork loin (4 lbs), ribeyes, and even the hamburger pattys. Pork chops also.
KingBarkus is offline Reply With Quote