Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 04-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
I am only the Question

Hawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to all
Hawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to all
Whatever happened to Mercurochrome and Merthiolate?

When I was a kid those two were the antiseptic of choice. After my first introduction to Merthiolate, I never complained about mecurochrome ever again. Decided I'd rather live with the cuts and scrapes. A painful, yet effective treatment at the time.

So whatever happened to Mercurochrome and Merthiolate? How do they work?

A. Mercurochrome is a trade name for merbromin, a compound containing mercury and bromine. Merthiolate is a trade name for thimerosal, a compound containing mercury and sodium.

Both these compounds kill some (but not all) disease-causing microbes by denaturing enzymes and other proteins so that the microbes' metabolism is blocked; they do this by breaking up chemical bonds in the proteins.

Both have been widely used as topical antiseptics, applied to the surface of the skin of a living body. Thimerosal is still often used to help rid skin of bacteria before medical procedures. Mercurochrome is not widely used anymore.

Both Mercurochrome and Merthiolate (and iodine preparations, too) sting when applied to broken skin and can interfere with healing. Experts now recommend that first aid kits contain newer antibacterial creams, especially those containing bacitracins, a class of antibacterials first produced by other microorganisms.

Mecuricome is a dark red topical antiseptic containing mercury. Before the proliferation of over the counter first aid medicines, and FDA regulations which stopped its manufacture, Mecuricome was used throughout the world to treat minor cuts, scrapes, sores, and other external infectious conditions. The liquid was only sold in small quantities, since one application by Q-tip was extremely effective.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
2010 World Champions

seagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura about
We used to call it Monkey Blood, you could tell when someone fell with their bike and had road rash, they were covered with that stuff on every little spot that looked like it was bleeding. Who ever was applying it would say "It won't burn for long, just blow on it."
seagull is online now Reply With Quote

8 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #3
SR is my life!

DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
I still remember with clarity when I tore up my knee and my mom cleaned out the gravel and cleaned it up with that stuff. Never told her about getting hurt again after that. Stuff was worse than alcohol.

You can always find a way to succeed or an excuse to fail.
DaveinCoalinga is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
I am only the Question

Hawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to allHawkeye Saint is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
We used to call it Monkey Blood, you could tell when someone fell with their bike and had road rash, they were covered with that stuff on every little spot that looked like it was bleeding.
That stuff was used for everything.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
I am only the Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinCoalinga View Post
I still remember with clarity when I tore up my knee and my mom cleaned out the gravel and cleaned it up with that stuff. Never told her about getting hurt again after that. Stuff was worse than alcohol.
We refer to it as the anti whine medication.

Old 04-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
Subscribing Member

BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
It might be the mercury killing all those brain cell thing that made it go away.
BIG E is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
More than 15K posts served!

guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Member
guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Member
i miss it - and want to make sure my kid grows up tough like us so when he gets a cut i pour as much lemon juice as i cand find on it

Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
aj
Subscribing Member

aj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of light
aj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of lightaj is a glorious beacon of light
Monkey blood now also comes in a clear version - which makes the name not work anymore
aj is offline Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
I hate American Airlines

keepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Club
keepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Clubkeepoursaints 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
We used to call it Monkey Blood, you could tell when someone fell with their bike and had road rash, they were covered with that stuff on every little spot that looked like it was bleeding. Who ever was applying it would say "It won't burn for long, just blow on it."
Yep!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj View Post
Monkey blood now also comes in a clear version - which makes the name not work anymore
That's a shame.. didn't they learn anything from Pepsi Clear?

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
Hall-of-Famer

Location: Gulf Breeze, FL via NOLA via Donaldsonville/Franklin via Nova Scotia via Loudon, France
where yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saint
where yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saintwhere yat brah is a true Saint
My mom actually used Merthiolate for rouge. She couldn't afford makeup and the stuff lasted all day.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
Resident Lurker

Fiyo is on a distinguished roadFiyo is on a distinguished roadFiyo is on a distinguished roadFiyo is on a distinguished roadFiyo is on a distinguished roadFiyo is on a distinguished roadFiyo is on a distinguished road
All I remember is screaming "Blow Daddy Blow" when my parents put it on a scrape ... worked really well, but damn it hurt
Fiyo is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:02 PM   #12
just beat bill

soupcan dan 40K Burger Clubsoupcan dan 40K Burger Clubsoupcan dan 40K Burger Clubsoupcan dan 40K Burger Clubsoupcan dan 40K Burger Clubsoupcan dan 40K Burger Club
soupcan dan 40K Burger Club
my mom gave us paregoric for anything and everything---there was enough opium in a tablespoon to satisfy the third shift at a chinese laundry.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
NFL Fan

Surviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to behold
Surviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to beholdSurviving Saint is a splendid one to behold
Paregoric and Monkey Blood were the staples of a first aid kit when I was growing up. I dont know where my mom got the paregoric but it worked on most anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13390-14413.jpg (15.9 KB, 175 views)

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #14
robot in disguise

Optimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger Club
Optimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger ClubOptimusaint 50K Burger Club
mmm, mercury monkey blood. burned so good. my granny would say "no, this is mahcuracrome, not mathialate. it doesnt burn" in her yat accent. that **** still burned.

2005-2010 Superdome sec 151 (RIP area 51) 2007: Reliant sec 117 2008: Wembley sec 141
2009: Landshark: sec 117 row 1 Fedex Field: DREAM sec 19 Superbowl: sec 146 row 1
2010: Cowboys Stadium: sec 127 row 1 Georgia Dome: sec 131 row 1
2011: Superdome sec 116 row 1 Lambeau Field sec 127 row 1 LP Field sec 116 row A
Optimusaint is offline Reply With Quote