Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Everything Else Board

Old 02-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #29
All-Pro

drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caliente View Post
I can testify that we have every language printed up in our DMV's. Our walls are covered in at least 13 languages. I wouldnt be surprised to see us spending millions knowing how wild we are with money out here. I could sell an ice cube maker to the city of Santa Monica for $13k and find 5 government agencies willing to buy.
I don't mind the DMV printing things in other languages. You don't need to be a citizen to get a driver's license, only a legal resident. And you don't need to speak english to be a legal resident.
drob8785 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #30
All-Pro

drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinj View Post
England doesn't even have English established as its "official language." The idea is pretty ridiculous imo.
I used to work in the House of Commons, and much of our paperwork was duplicated in Welsh. Depending on where you are in the UK, the minority regional languages (Scots, Welsh, Cornish, etc) are often, by law, given the same status as English.
drob8785 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #31
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob8785 View Post
I don't mind the DMV printing things in other languages. You don't need to be a citizen to get a driver's license, only a legal resident. And you don't need to speak english to be a legal resident.

I don't have any issue with that either, but I havent been in the SS Office, or Unemployment office, or other government offices. I was just pointing out that the state of California probably spends a good dollar or two on signs.

I know in Venezuela the native Indians (Guajidos) have a law that supersedes the Venezuelan law, and that they are given courtesies of signage and other things since they were there first. Maybe we here in America are doing it wrong.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #32
Yeah you rite

Location: Louisiana...the greatest 3rd world country in the whole U.S. of A.
Broadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger Club
Broadmoor74 50K Burger ClubBroadmoor74 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlands Saints View Post
is it a bigger waste of time or money than say the state of California printing all of its forms in multiple languages, in some cases up to 27 different ones costing hundreds of millions dollars. I'm all for speaking what ever you want but I think all business done at any level of government should be in English. or maybe they should stop wasting time with this and just round up all the illegals and ship them somewhere else.
This is some typical American elitist philosophising right here. If I go to virtually any country in Europe, I can find signs, forms, papers written in multiple languages (almost always including English), because most other countries aren't monolinguistic elitist brats like we are here. They don't view that as a waste of resources.

But I find that the argument usually isn't about money or resources or anything like that. It's usually about stickin' it to the dam illegals.

My grandfather didn't speak English until he was an adult, and that was just when he moved away from Vermillion Parish to work in a Texas refinery. Had he stayed home, he could have lived a rich, fulfilling life without English. And he wasn't an immigrant. He was born in Louisiana, as were his parents, who never spoke English. I guess we should have just rounded him up and sent him back to .......... well, wherever else they don't speak Amurikan.

Additionally, it's almost always people from Texas or California who campaign the most about English being our "official" language. Yet I never hear any drums being beaten to rename the cities "Saint Francis" instead of "San Francisco" or "Saint Anthony" instead of "San Antonio." Hmmmm.
Broadmoor74 is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009

Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club
Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Audio/Video/News Contributions Award 
Total Awards: 1

Cheks were never a potential 20 million strong voting block, that's why no one cared
Jeff Miller is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
Always Start Simple

crosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Member
crosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by harschman View Post
This one is hilarious. I've been back from the Philippines for a week, where I had spent the last 30 days. While I was there I got a Philippine DL and guess what language the application is in? That's right, English. Every word on my license is in English.

They also do the coolest thing when you apply for a license, you go next door, pay for a drug test, pee in a cup and then get the results in about 15 minutes before you can get your license.
Could you imagine the outcry both in favor and against if the drug test were to be proposed here?

Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic201 View Post
Speek English. This is 'merica damn it.
I thought you were suppose to speak "American" in "Merica" and English in foreign countries like England. I do have a real problem when I call a company and have to sit through the Spanish part to get to the "merican" speaking gal. I can't understand that one.
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
How you like me now?

justdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saint
justdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saintjustdave is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike62987 View Post
I hope this post is a joke.
I saw the ironing bud eye donut no if it was international.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #37
He didn't make it

OhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true Saint
OhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true Saint
I thought we spoke a hodgepodge of slang and made up words in 'murica.
OhioSaintsFan is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #38
E tan e epi tas

Det. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Det. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDet. Brees is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike62987 View Post
I hope this post is a joke.
No joke. Heck just look at our people. There are many in the u.s. that can't read or write.
Det. Brees is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #39
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
There are people English/Spanish/Chinese/Etc. speaking that can't read or write their own language. The only joke is on them, and their difficult circumstance.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #40
Hall-of-Famer

smchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to behold
smchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to beholdsmchls23 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
I thought you were suppose to speak "American" in "Merica" and English in foreign countries like England. I do have a real problem when I call a company and have to sit through the Spanish part to get to the "merican" speaking gal. I can't understand that one.
Why do people have to change their ways of doing things to suit your needs...?
smchls23 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smchls23 View Post
Why do people have to change their ways of doing things to suit your needs...?
I didn't say they have to. I said I don't like it and I don't understand why they do it.
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
space monkey

antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
antipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Memberantipop Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
I didn't say they have to. I said I don't like it and I don't understand why they do it.
i no rite??

you will never get those 4 seconds of your life back