New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Tech-Talk Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
Porkers?

The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
Uverse reviews

So, recently U-verse has become available in Metairie (they're still rolling it out, but it's available in parts of the area).

I've been reading some reviews online and they're mostly terrible. Some older reviews indicate that you can only watch HD on one box at a time; newer reviews state that you can have HD on two at a time, but you must upgrade (and pay for) the 25 MB service from AT&T.

On the whole, the reviews complain about tremendously poor customer service, random pixelation issues, not getting the speeds they pay for, horrible pings for gaming, etc.

I was wondering if anyone here who uses U-verse could offer first hand reports.
The Mongoose is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
UNSOBER

whodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Club
whodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Club
Here is a link to what Uverse is since the OP didn't provide any info (typical of Mongooses, they are a selfish and oblivious creature):

http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/w...k=1-002TN9-0-2
whodatfever is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #3
Porkers?

The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
The Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger ClubThe Mongoose 40K Burger Club
It's the tech board. Shouldn't everyone know what u-verse is? You gotta speak to your audience, WDF.

Plus, if you had been playing Blur with buzd and I the other night like you were supposed to be, you'd know the genesis of this thread.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Porkers?

This thread is dying a slow death.

I had told buzd that you couldn't watch HD programming on more than one box at a time with U-verse. I intended to prove it with links today, because I sort of doubted it as well.

It appears that used to be the case. Currently, it seems you can watch HD on two boxes, but you must have the higher bandwidth package.

Can anyone confirm this? Does no one have u-verse?

(I'll let it go after this last post if we gain no traction - I promise).

Old 06-14-2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Veteran Starter

Jayskee is on a distinguished roadJayskee is on a distinguished roadJayskee is on a distinguished roadJayskee is on a distinguished roadJayskee is on a distinguished road
no U-Verse here but I did go through the whole debacle of "not getting what you pay for". When I signed up to AT&T DSL I subscribed, April or May 2009, to the 6MB DSL ... only recently found out through the DSG group (I had been having disconnection/un-sync issues daily) at AT&T that I had not been getting it and the "upgrade order" was recently put in.
Jayskee is online now Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 12:43 AM   #6
Jabari Greer's #1 Fan

FranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enough
lol how many hdtv's do you guys have? I had uverse when I was in houston and i never had an issue. I switched between the 6mbps internet and I think the 10mbps and though i only had one hdtv and one sdtv, I could record 2 hd feeds at a time. I found it to be a lot more bang for the buck than comcast (which was a total nightmare). My two complaints were that the installation only took place 24 hours after the scheduled time, and in terms of wiring, they do the bare minimum. For example, my bedroom had two cable hookups, but they hooked up the box through ethernet since they say quality is better that way. I later decided to move the tv across the room, away from ethernet and close to a coax outlet. in said room however, uverse only worked through ethernet (whereas other rooms were wired only for coax). I ended up having 20 ft of ethernet wiring strewn across the floor to watch tv. It sounds like something that's probably par for the course with cable companies, but an annoyance nonetheless. But I would def. Recommend it over horrid companies like comcast or time warner, not so much over cox though.
FranklinSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #7
Rebel Alliance

SeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to behold
SeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to beholdSeminoleMarine is a splendid one to behold
Amazing, I just talked to the UVerse rep today and he said nothing about only getting HD on 2 (maybe 1???) box at a time. No mention of any upgrade either. He made it sound like you get the whole house DVR system in HD. Watch a program in the living room, get tired and want to go lay in bed, no problem just pause it and pick up where you left off. Also said that my internet would be faster, although I currently subscribe to one of the fastest (supposedly) in this area. He even sent me home with a nice brochure with some really nice pricing on it........ (hang on a min.)...... Just checked out some reviews on this based on your first post and I am seeing the same things. Slow internet speeds, phone service not compatible with some alarm systems, unexplained outages that not only leave you without the internet or TV but leaves your home unprotected if the alarm goes through them. I found reviews from as far back as March 2007 to as recent as yesterday and they all say the same things. You would think that in three years they would have fixed some of these problems. I think I will call this rep tomorrow and listen to him weasel through all this chatter. Should be fun........
SeminoleMarine is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 01:54 AM   #8
Jabari Greer's #1 Fan

FranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enoughFranklinSaint will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleMarine View Post
Amazing, I just talked to the UVerse rep today and he said nothing about only getting HD on 2 (maybe 1???) box at a time. No mention of any upgrade either. He made it sound like you get the whole house DVR system in HD. Watch a program in the living room, get tired and want to go lay in bed, no problem just pause it and pick up where you left off. Also said that my internet would be faster, although I currently subscribe to one of the fastest (supposedly) in this area. He even sent me home with a nice brochure with some really nice pricing on it........ (hang on a min.)...... Just checked out some reviews on this based on your first post and I am seeing the same things. Slow internet speeds, phone service not compatible with some alarm systems, unexplained outages that not only leave you without the internet or TV but leaves your home unprotected if the alarm goes through them. I found reviews from as far back as March 2007 to as recent as yesterday and they all say the same things. You would think that in three years they would have fixed some of these problems. I think I will call this rep tomorrow and listen to him weasel through all this chatter. Should be fun........
First, reps know nothing, never believe anything they say unless its in writing.
Second, i read the same horror stories and was pretty worried about it, but I experienced nothing like that. About the total home dvr description, thats essentially what it is: I watch something in the living room, pause, then continue watching it in bed.
As far as the security system thing, I dont have one because i have two dogs, but isnt this an issue with a lot of voip carriers?
I've had it now 15 months and i cant remember an outage, and my torrents download pretty quick.
All these things are basically city by city, because service is only as good as your subcontractor.
That being said, in Houston, Uverse is great and neither I nor anyone else i know has had any major issues.
On a side, att has wronged me many times (i once worked for them), so i generally like to crap on them any chance I get, but they've somehow managed to keep me happy with uverse.
FranklinSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
All-Pro

keijicosis is a jewel in the rough
keijicosis is a jewel in the roughkeijicosis is a jewel in the roughkeijicosis is a jewel in the rough
Okay heres the deal with uverse. I have it and here's how it works.

You're limited to four TV streams at a time, two of those streams can be HD. If you have multiple TVs watching the same channel in different rooms than it counts as one stream. Some markets have 3 HD streams, but that's not available here as of yet.

Overall I'm enjoying the hell outta uverse but if you've got a big family, it may get annoying being limited to only 4 programs at a time.

Also, I'm on the 6meg net connection.
keijicosis is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Just an Earthbound Misfit

A.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to behold
A.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to beholdA.D.Rock is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by keijicosis View Post
Okay heres the deal with uverse. I have it and here's how it works.

You're limited to four TV streams at a time, two of those streams can be HD. If you have multiple TVs watching the same channel in different rooms than it counts as one stream. Some markets have 3 HD streams, but that's not available here as of yet.

Overall I'm enjoying the hell outta uverse but if you've got a big family, it may get annoying being limited to only 4 programs at a time.

Also, I'm on the 6meg net connection.
This seems to be dead on to what I've heard from my cousin in Boston and a friend in Texas. From what I gathered from them,its alright but nothing to get excited about.Maybe because its in its infant stages. My cousin also told me they're having major hic-ups with Hd up there in New England and Verizon is competing with something that is far better.Said that AT&T has been calling everyone up there with the system to hold on,things will get better and not to look to Verizon.Take this however you want to.
A.D.Rock is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 07:21 AM   #11
party lamp

buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.Rock View Post
This seems to be dead on to what I've heard from my cousin in Boston and a friend in Texas. From what I gathered from them,its alright but nothing to get excited about.Maybe because its in its infant stages. My cousin also told me they're having major hic-ups with Hd up there in New England and Verizon is competing with something that is far better.Said that AT&T has been calling everyone up there with the system to hold on,things will get better and not to look to Verizon.Take this however you want to.
Verizon offers FIOS in the Northeast - which is true fiber optic to the home. MUCH better technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinSaint View Post
lol how many hdtv's do you guys have? I had uverse when I was in houston and i never had an issue. I switched between the 6mbps internet and I think the 10mbps and though i only had one hdtv and one sdtv, I could record 2 hd feeds at a time. I found it to be a lot more bang for the buck than comcast (which was a total nightmare). My two complaints were that the installation only took place 24 hours after the scheduled time, and in terms of wiring, they do the bare minimum. For example, my bedroom had two cable hookups, but they hooked up the box through ethernet since they say quality is better that way. I later decided to move the tv across the room, away from ethernet and close to a coax outlet. in said room however, uverse only worked through ethernet (whereas other rooms were wired only for coax). I ended up having 20 ft of ethernet wiring strewn across the floor to watch tv. It sounds like something that's probably par for the course with cable companies, but an annoyance nonetheless. But I would def. Recommend it over horrid companies like comcast or time warner, not so much over cox though.
I've been watching this thread but stayed quiet, because as I told Mongoose, I really don't know much about Uverse. However, I do have some experience with DSL, and my experience seems to jibe with what I'm reading here (in the thread as well as the quoted post).

So it seems that Uverse is a true IP product. Therefore it makes sense that it will limit the amount of TV streams to your house (and to answer your question above, we have 2 HDTVs each with an HDDVR through DirectV, which could require 4 streams). Thinking about that, 10Mbps isn't a ton of bandwidth (the FIOS product has much more). Also, running bittorents, making calls, etc, will affect your bandwidth, and ultimate other services as well (although I would hope they have some sort of QOS device prioritizing the traffic).

If the phone service is a VOIP product, it would make sense that it doesn't always play nice with 911 and alarm services.

Also, if it's a DSL over copper product (which it sounds like), it will likely not be great for gaming (DSL rarely is, I expect because it's routed through the local Bell's infrastructure before hitting the internet backbone). Furthermore, while DSLs are unshared copper to the house, they aggregate (as I understand it) at the DSLAM to get on the larger pipe (within about a half mile, maybe longer these days) - where it becomes shared. If ATT is rolling out a bunch of installs to a neighborhood (which would be the cost-effective way to do it), they could have network saturation issues.

And of course, the 10MB speeds are dependent on how close your are to the DSLAM, the quality of your infrastructure, etc, so it's really a best-case throughput rating. While there have been a bunch of improvements in DSL technology, there hasn't necessarily been a corresponding upgrade in wiring to the home, so I would expect some issues in many cases.

I will be staying away from this product for the foreseeable future. I'm no fan of ATT anyway (although I've been pleased with their cell service).

Last edited by buzd; 06-15-2010 at 08:40 AM.
buzd is offline Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
UNSOBER

whodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Club
whodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Clubwhodatfever 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzd View Post
However, I do have some experience with DSL, and my experience seems to jive with what I'm reading here (in the thread as well as the quoted post).
jibe 2 (jb)
intr.v. jibed, jib·ing, jibes Informal
To be in accord; agree:

That's for correcting me in the past! HA!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #13
party lamp

buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
buzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Memberbuzd Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodatfever View Post
jibe 2 (jb)
intr.v. jibed, jib·ing, jibes Informal
To be in accord; agree:

That's for correcting me in the past! HA!
Ouch, good catch . I make that one a lot, and spell check doesn't catch it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #14
UNSOBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzd View Post
Ouch, good catch . I make that one a lot, and spell check doesn't catch it.
Any day that starts out with me appearing smarter than you is gonna be a good day. I'm buying lottery tickets.