New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #15
Hall-of-Famer

the-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
the-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussTKD View Post
The angst comes from people having really crappy policies that are no longer ACA compliant.

Again, if homeowners' insurance was a "regulated" as health insurance, people would be screaming for reform.
That's exactly right. I know people who have auto liability insurance with deductibles of $5000. They pay very little for these policies, and they can claim they have "auto liability insurance", but they really do not.

Same with health insurance. The ACA raises the minimum standards for these policies, which IMHO is a good thing. Depending on their particular circumstances, these people may be eligible for subsidies under the ACA; if they aren't eligible for the subsidies, they will just have to deal with that by buying the minimum policy under the ACA, or pay the associated fines incurred for not purchasing insurance.

Again, minimum standards for health insurance policies is a good thing, not a bad thing.
the-commish is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #16
Subscribing Member

sbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to behold
sbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to beholdsbadeaux is a splendid one to behold
Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenordas View Post
It must be nice to be in a position where you consider paying an extra $1,200-3,000 a year for health insurance to not be a big deal. It would bother most people I know a great deal.
Easy for people with money to make a statement like that. People calling insurance crummy. Well that's not true. The difference is the things that are reguired to be covered. Like maternity, amount others. I'm a gay man. I don't need that, but guess what, my new policy has it because it's reguirespd by law.

If the president was honest and said, millions of Americans will see their costs go up because we want to make sure people are covered foe for X. We are doing this for,the greater good. Most people would have had a fit. So he does not say that. So now people like me who had great coverage loose that coverage because of the Cadillac tax. I now have higher deductibles, higher copays, for more money. Did not work out great foe me, but hay, it's good for everyone else so I guess that means its a good thing.

The goverment has never made anything better. Not one goverment run program ever comes in at budget. They never improve people's lives. Remember SSI. We would take money from you check and put it aside for, your retirement. What happens, the don't put the money aside and invest it. They spend it every year. There is no money in a pool to pay SSI benefits.

Some people will get better rates from the ACA because of subsidies. Subsidies means money from people paying taxes. So while my rates go up, I'm paying for other poeples rates to go down. Sounds fair to me.
sbadeaux is offline Reply With Quote

5 out of 16 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #17
is not a rookie

Yoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Yoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of FamerYoweigh is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbadeaux View Post
The goverment has never made anything better.
so where'd the interstates come from?
11/3/13 METLIFE STADIUM 10/6/13 SOLDIER FIELD 12/9/12 METLIFE STADIUM 10/21/12 RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM 11/13/11 GEORGIA DOME 10/9/11 BoA STADIUM 12/27/10 GEORGIA DOME 09/20/10 CANDLESTICK PARK 10/25/09 LANDSHARK STADIUM 12/10/07 GEORGIA DOME
Yoweigh is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
All-Pro

QSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to behold
QSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to beholdQSTA is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by the-commish View Post
That's exactly right. I know people who have auto liability insurance with deductibles of $5000. They pay very little for these policies, and they can claim they have "auto liability insurance", but they really do not.

Same with health insurance. The ACA raises the minimum standards for these policies, which IMHO is a good thing. Depending on their particular circumstances, these people may be eligible for subsidies under the ACA; if they aren't eligible for the subsidies, they will just have to deal with that by buying the minimum policy under the ACA, or pay the associated fines incurred for not purchasing insurance.

Again, minimum standards for health insurance policies is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Are high deductible insurance plans eligible for health savings accounts?

If I was a healthy 30 year old male who had a high deductible plan I would place a certain percentage of my paycheck in a health savings account until I reached whatever the amount of my deductible. I would realize the monthly savings of not having an expensive premium, yet protecting myself from future major health issues.

Same as you, I know people who have high auto insurance deductibles. Some do this because the car they drive may only be worth $2,5000. Why would they pay for an expensive auto insurance policy when the yearly auto insurance payment is more than the value of the car?
There's winners and there's nothing else. I don't giva a **** what those pinkos over there in Russia say. You wanna be a loser, go live in Russia. I'm not a loser. I'm a winner. I'm an AMERICAN. Who wants to be John Wayne? Who wants to get a mean on?................Johnny B. Bad
QSTA is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Easy for people with money to make a statement like that. People calling insurance crummy. Well that's not true. The difference is the things that are reguired to be covered. Like maternity, amount others. I'm a gay man. I don't need that, but guess what, my new policy has it because it's reguirespd by law.

Do you know how silly it sounds when someone comes here and makes a statement like this?

Seriously.

You're a gay man and you think that you're paying for maternity insurance because it's required by law.

Seriously?

Have you ever heard of an actuary?

Do you have any likelihood of being pregnant? Ok, I suppose it's maybe 1 in 5,000,000,000 gay men become pregnant. I'm also sure the actuaries who calculated the rates you're paying have built in 1/1,000,000,000,000th of a cent in premium to cover the gay man pregnancy risk.

sheesh.

2 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Pro-Bowler

msmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enoughmsmith will become famous soon enough
ehealth.com has a link to calculate how much each plan costs and if you qualify for any subsidy: https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ind...allid=eHe29411

I input a 30 years old male who makes $20000 (a typical Wal-Mart full timer) then I clicked the subsidy button. The Bronze plan costs about $50/mo ($5000 deductible) to the Gold plan about $230/mo ($750 deductible).

The cheap Bronze plan sounds good but considering it is 60/40 coinsurance.

The cost is already subsidy deducted. In other words, you pay the company the premium and the company will bill the government the subsidy portion.
msmith is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #21

Mumu Champion

Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:

If the president was honest and said, millions of Americans will see their costs go up because we want to make sure people are covered foe for X. We are doing this for,the greater good. Most people would have had a fit. So he does not say that. So now people like me who had great coverage loose that coverage because of the Cadillac tax. I now have higher deductibles, higher copays, for more money. Did not work out great foe me, but hay, it's good for everyone else so I guess that means its a good thing.

The goverment has never made anything better. Not one goverment run program ever comes in at budget. They never improve people's lives. Remember SSI. We would take money from you check and put it aside for, your retirement. What happens, the don't put the money aside and invest it. They spend it every year. There is no money in a pool to pay SSI benefits.

Some people will get better rates from the ACA because of subsidies. Subsidies means money from people paying taxes. So while my rates go up, I'm paying for other poeples rates to go down. Sounds fair to me.
According to your previous posts you stopped offering health coverage to your employees 4 years before the cadillac tax takes effect. Instead of providing them with normal insurance you opted out of the insurance market. That could save your business $500,000 or more per year which is certainly enough to provide increased compensation to you and the employees.

The world also doesn't revolve around your individual needs. I'm not planning to birth any babies, but I'm glad that women will be guaranteed proper maternity and newborn care. Aside from simply being a good thing, ensuring that families have the opportunity to succeed benefits society as a whole.
Severum is offline Reply With Quote

10 out of 11 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #22
Hall-of-Famer

the-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
the-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famerthe-commish is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severum View Post
According to your previous posts you stopped offering health coverage to your employees 4 years before the cadillac tax takes effect. Instead of providing them with normal insurance you opted out of the insurance market. That could save your business $500,000 or more per year which is certainly enough to provide increased compensation to you and the employees.

The world also doesn't revolve around your individual needs. I'm not planning to birth any babies, but I'm glad that women will be guaranteed proper maternity and newborn care. Aside from simply being a good thing, ensuring that families have the opportunity to succeed benefits society as a whole.
Well said. Apparently, public good is a foreign concept to some.
the-commish is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #23
Oye
tight like hallways

Oye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club Member
Oye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club MemberOye Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
I'm not planning to birth any babies
maybe he hasn't ruled it out

Quote:
I would not have missed that game for anything. If my child was being born i would send my wife with a camcorder and kiss her goodbuy

Oye is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #24
Subscribing Member

Blodaksen has disabled reputation
Quote:
Is $500 the total policy cost including any employer contribution?

I know up here silver and gold exchange plans for someone my age are significantly cheaper than comparable previous individual plans.
Sorry, I just did a straight comparison to what I would pay, sort of an informal thing. The $500 is what I pay, my wife and I have 2 separate policies, because of requirements of our employers, and I pay $235 a month for me and the 3 daughters, she pays about $260 just for herself. I did not include the Company paid portions, as I was simply trying to get an idea of what my costs for each were.

My wife and I each have 80/20 plans at work.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #25

Mumu Champion

Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Severum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club MemberSeverum Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blodaksen View Post
Sorry, I just did a straight comparison to what I would pay, sort of an informal thing. The $500 is what I pay, my wife and I have 2 separate policies, because of requirements of our employers, and I pay $235 a month for me and the 3 daughters, she pays about $260 just for herself. I did not include the Company paid portions, as I was simply trying to get an idea of what my costs for each were.

My wife and I each have 80/20 plans at work.
I think it's important to include total cost of plans when doing comparisons. After considering your employer contribution you're right that the exchange costs are quite reasonable for individual insurance. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a reduction compared to equivalent individual plans prior to the exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenordas View Post
It bothers me greatly. And I'm self-employed in the first place so I've always been paying through the nose. Rates have done nothing but continue to go up since this started. They were sky-rocketing before, and they don't seem to be doing any different, but perhaps I just haven't looked hard enough yet. Frankly, I'm too busy to have time to look.

I've never hinted that health care isn't a mess. It has been for a long time. I'm just not convinced this does anything to fix that mess. Perhaps I will be proven wrong, and if so, then good for everyone. Right now, I'm still from Missouri on it.
If you don't mind saying, how much are you currently paying for insurance? What's the coverage level and age of those insured?
Severum is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #26
What Does That Mean?

UncleDoug is marching in
UncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching inUncleDoug is marching in
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveXA View Post
I myself am self-employed, and the reason I don't have health insurance is precisely this. Small groups and individuals typically pay far, far higher premiums than those with much larger group insurance.

Those large groups will have to bear some of the costs of bringing the individuals into the ACA, and that comes with the territory in a national health care plan. Pooling risk and having a single large group, or a few large groups will be far better than the system we have now.
So allow individuals to deduct 100% of the cost and allow the First Baptist Church etc, to be able to offer insurance to their members and the Trade Associations, and Chamber of Commerce. That would greatly reduce your issue and does not require 2700 pages of legislation and 15,000 pages of regulations and counting.
UncleDoug is offline Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM   #27
SR is my life!

DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
As it is right now sure it's a problem and rates are all over the place. Lots of it are from people who have an agenda and no real clue. Others are noticing that rates are comparable. Of course this first wave will be the sicker people who will cost more. The benefits come when your younger healthier people have to sign up. I'm somewhat letting it all shake out and see when it's up and going. Nothing as massive as this is starts off easy, can you imagine the mess if Nixon would've gone through with national health coverage in the early 70s? The massive pile of paper wouldn't have made it any easier. As far as me paying for other peoples needs, I find it a shame that people are limited on health care because they don't have the money to pay to be healthy. Life has been good to me, if I have to pay a bit more for someone to go to the doctor so be it.

You can always find a way to succeed or an excuse to fail.
DaveinCoalinga is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #28
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
Quote:
The goverment has never made anything better.
It obviously failed with your public education, but the next time the Fire Department shows up at your house, you access SaintsReport.com or you watch a Saints game you should consider revising your statement...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 7 members found this post helpful.