New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #43
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

JLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
JLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of FamerJLaneSaints is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic201 View Post
So what specifically do you people disagree with what he said?

Opening oil drilling?
Making sure China isn't taking advantage of trade laws?
Making sure schools can keep good teachers, reward great teachers, and get rid of bad teachers?
Making sure our investment in alternative energy keeps us in the technology lead?
Helping the unemployed receive the job training they need to fill the many vacant job spots open in the country?
Lowering corporate taxes for businesses that create jobs here in America while not rewarding those that ship them overseas?
Lessening the red tape for homeowners who have done everything right so that they can benefit from the low interest rates?

What is it that you people are finding so outrageous?
It's not what he said that we find outrageous, it's that he's been saying the same thing for 4 years now and dems still think it's new and exciting and that Obama will actually do it this time that is the outrageous part.

Obama: Say the right things, go on vacation, let people forget what I said, re-surface to say the same things, let people applaud again, then go on vacation, let people forget, then re-surface, rinse, repeat.
JLaneSaints is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #44
Sacrilicious

wamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saint
wamland is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaneSaints View Post
It's not what he said that we find outrageous, it's that he's been saying the same thing for 4 years now and dems still think it's new and exciting and that Obama will actually do it this time that is the outrageous part.

Obama: Say the right things, go on vacation, let people forget what I said, re-surface to say the same things, let people applaud again, then go on vacation, let people forget, then re-surface, rinse, repeat.
If he hasn't done anything then why all the *****ing about the stuff he's doing?

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #45
Vesti le procè flamber

Location: Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge, Dallas, Abilene, Oklahoma City, & San Antonio
tenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
tenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famertenordas is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
A decidedly cynical take on the State of the Union address:

Obama

Quote:
The new slogan {"Built to Last"} could not rescue this State of the Union from the casket of boredom in which every State of the Union speech rests. It might as well be prescribed in the Constitution that the speech contain a vast list of proposals—all of them high priority—and that these proposals be couched in insincere bipartisanship. In a presidential election year, the speech changes ever so slightly, as the president must make an election pitch while trying not to look too obvious about it. In this sense, Barack Obama's speech was very presidential.
tenordas is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #46
Subscribing Member

BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
So what specifically do you people disagree with what he said?

Opening oil drilling?
Making sure China isn't taking advantage of trade laws?
Making sure schools can keep good teachers, reward great teachers, and get rid of bad teachers?
Making sure our investment in alternative energy keeps us in the technology lead?
Helping the unemployed receive the job training they need to fill the many vacant job spots open in the country?
Lowering corporate taxes for businesses that create jobs here in America while not rewarding those that ship them overseas?
Lessening the red tape for homeowners who have done everything right so that they can benefit from the low interest rates?

What is it that you people are finding so outrageous?
Opening oil drilling? Been in office 3 years and hasn't done it, why now in an election year.
Making sure China isn't taking advantage of trade laws?see above
Making sure schools can keep good teachers, reward great teachers, and get rid of bad teachers?see above
Making sure our investment in alternative energy keeps us in the technology lead? Solyndra
Helping the unemployed receive the job training they need to fill the many vacant job spots open in the country? I'll give him that one
Lowering corporate taxes for businesses that create jobs here in America while not rewarding those that ship them overseas? See #1
Lessening the red tape for homeowners who have done everything right so that they can benefit from the low interest rates?See #1
BIG E is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #47
BIRTH CONTROL IS IMMORAL

JimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true Saint
JimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true SaintJimEverett is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
Opening oil drilling? Been in office 3 years and hasn't done it, why now in an election year.
Number of the Week: How Many Rigs Are Drilling for Oil? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

"1,069: The number of rigs drilling for oil in the U.S. this week.
The figure reflects a huge surge in U.S. oil drilling, up nearly 60% in the past year and the highest total since at least 1987, when oil services company Baker Hughes Inc. began keeping track."

Quote:
Making sure China isn't taking advantage of trade laws?see above
Obama plans new team to get tough on China trade - chicagotribune.com

"The U.S. Trade Representative's office has filed five World Trade Organization cases against China since Obama took office in January 2009, compared to seven during the two terms of former President George W. Bush. China joined the WTO in December 2001."

Quote:
Making sure schools can keep good teachers, reward great teachers, and get rid of bad teachers?see above
Race to the Top

Quote:
Making sure our investment in alternative energy keeps us in the technology lead? Solyndra
A simple Google search details how the U.S. has grown alternative forms of energy in teh last few years.

A visual representation of renewable energy growth in the U.S. | Grist

Quote:
Lowering corporate taxes for businesses that create jobs here in America while not rewarding those that ship them overseas? See #1
He tried in 2010.
Obama: End Tax Breaks That Send Jobs Overseas - CBS News

Quote:
Lessening the red tape for homeowners who have done everything right so that they can benefit from the low interest rates?See #1
I am not sure what this even means
JimEverett is offline Reply With Quote

13 out of 14 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #48
Fighting the Good Fight

NEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
NEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of FamerNEBaghead is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post

He tried in 2010.
Obama: End Tax Breaks That Send Jobs Overseas - CBS News

I am not sure what this even means
Home modification program. It is a huge pain in the neck. Take getting a home loan, which is already annoying and time consuming, add a bank who really doesn't care about getting the process taken care of and drags their feet and add a government aspect.
This is more of an indictment on the total home loan process. I remember having to re-send paperwork over and over to the underwriters for the dumbest things.
When someone is struggling to make payments on their mortgage and they are qualified for a modification that is backed by the government, how come it takes 3 months to get the change made?
NEBaghead is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #49
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringslide View Post
I need help from someone who is a Dem, What is this stuff we keep hearing about everyone paying their fair share? What is that? I know a guy that I went to high school with who was much smarter than I could ever hope to be. He lives in New York and his total tax rate is around 55%....is that fair? Or should he pay more? I don't want any PC stuff just give me the number you think is fair...what 65%...75%? I'm just not sure what it is ans where it stops. Sure he makes really good money and may be one of the so called 1% but to take 55% doesn't seem fair to me.
My sister in law is a well paid attorney who lives in Manhattan. She's married and between her and her husband they make close to $1mil per year. They live in a 900 sq ft apartment in a nice building and they do not pay 55%. When I saw your post, I emailed and she said after deductions they paid less than 37% total in local, state and federal income tax.

Is that too high? Maybe, but it's an accurate number unlike the 55% you posted.

NYC is between 2 and 3. NY state is about 6 and the Federal Income Tax is the same as everywhere else.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #50
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintfan-n-alex View Post
There are several bills on Reid's desk for jobs etc and he won't present for a vote

According to the stats reps have produced far more bill than the dems ( respective of their majorities)

So assuming that's true and there is no reason to say it isn't - the dems and Obama could br holding up bills to make rise to the do nothing congress , that along with prez blame of the reps can portray it as its rep fault

Obama in away put hiis foot into it with his "fair" talk as if taxing the rich is doing their part then reducing entitlements so people have to take the low wage jobs I part of doing their part too. Isnt that from Newt's plan ?
Awesome. The R's have introduced all sorts of bills to do things like honor WW1 vets and to declare America a Christian Nation. They've introduced lots of stuff like the official flower of the NE 38th Neighborhood Association and, of course, tax cuts and other stuff that's never going to be passed.

It's odd to me that a small government Republican would argue on behalf of his party based on the number of bills they've introduced.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #51
Subscribing Member

BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
BIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club MemberBIG E Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post
Number of the Week: How Many Rigs Are Drilling for Oil? - Real Time Economics - WSJ

"1,069: The number of rigs drilling for oil in the U.S. this week.
The figure reflects a huge surge in U.S. oil drilling, up nearly 60% in the past year and the highest total since at least 1987, when oil services company Baker Hughes Inc. began keeping track."
Mostly land rigs that's not what he's talking about.

Most of the rest of the things he was talking about was new initiatives. That's why I asked why is he waiting until now. With the exception of the tax overhaul most can be accomplished procedurally without congressional approval. It was a campaign speech.
As for as the alternative energy, I'm not against it. I'm against loaning them a half a billion dollars, when your own experts are telling you they have a bad business model and then then changing the loan midstream and making it where the government is not first in line among the creditors.

1 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #52
Super Forum Fanatic

Brown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Brown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of FamerBrown is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtradin View Post
My sister in law is a well paid attorney who lives in Manhattan. She's married and between her and her husband they make close to $1mil per year. They live in a 900 sq ft apartment in a nice building and they do not pay 55%. When I saw your post, I emailed and she said after deductions they paid less than 37% total in local, state and federal income tax.

you left out sales and property taxes...

www.christmasjars.com
Brown is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM   #53
Hall-of-Famer

Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Quote:
Mostly land rigs that's not what he's talking about.

Most of the rest of the things he was talking about was new initiatives. That's why I asked why is he waiting until now. With the exception of the tax overhaul most can be accomplished procedurally without congressional approval. It was a campaign speech.
As for as the alternative energy, I'm not against it. I'm against loaning them a half a billion dollars, when your own experts are telling you they have a bad business model and then then changing the loan midstream and making it where the government is not first in line among the creditors.

Jim literally just went down the list and refuted every single point you made and yet you are still trying to stick to it?

Yes, offshore oil rigs have lagged behind. It might have something to do with one of the biggest off shore oil spill disasters in the history of the world happening just off shore and oil companies proving they had no way to stop it once it happened.

You, and other Republicans, really try to boil down Solyndra as something it isn't. Yes it failed because of the nose dive in prices of solar cells due in a large part to the billions of dollars the Chinese government invested into their solar panel companies. Yes, in hindsight the loan shouldn't have been approved. But no business or investment plan will be perfect and Solyndra was only a small part of a overall very large Dept. of Energy investment in alternative energies.
Cosmic201 is online now Reply With Quote

6 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #54
Subscribing Member

Quote:
Jim literally just went down the list and refuted every single point you made and yet you are still trying to stick to it?

Yes, offshore oil rigs have lagged behind. It might have something to do with one of the biggest off shore oil spill disasters in the history of the world happening just off shore and oil companies proving they had no way to stop it once it happened.

You, and other Republicans, really try to boil down Solyndra as something it isn't. Yes it failed because of the nose dive in prices of solar cells due in a large part to the billions of dollars the Chinese government invested into their solar panel companies. Yes, in hindsight the loan shouldn't have been approved. But no business or investment plan will be perfect and Solyndra was only a small part of a overall very large Dept. of Energy investment in alternative energies.
Solyndra is exactly what it is. A bad investment by our government with tax payer dollars for political reasons. It was turned down by the prior administration because it was a bad business model, It was then pushed through so the President could give a speech there and get a photo opt. Then they changed the loan so the the government was no longer first in line among creditors which was illegal.
This photo opt cost the American tax payers $500,000,000,

2 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #55
Hall-of-Famer

BuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
BuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBuffaloSaint is a future SR.com Hall of Famer

Old 01-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #56
Subscribing Member

Tonight," Obama bellowed, "I am proposing that every state--every state--requires that all students stay in high school until they graduate or turn 18."

I'm not an expert on education like Oye, but IMO making some thug kid stay in school when he doesn't want to hurts every other student in the class that's actually trying to learn. Not to mention, the Federal government once again trying to overstep it's bounds and dictate how states have to run there education system.