New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Google Ads
Latest Poll
Grade the Saints 2014 Draft
A
B
C
D
F
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Disrespectful to dirt

Mr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Mr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintJ View Post

There are limits on legal immigration, such as how many H1-B visas are available at any given time. Problem is, we might need these educated foreign workers to remain competitive here. Need to fix the education system first and put more investment in colleges, which are increasingly hard to afford.

Right, we're doing it backwards from how we used to do it - we allowed unrestricted immigration for 'professionals' but restricted immigration for everyone else that filled out the lower end of the labor pool.

Now we put limits on professionals and made it easier to bring in everyone else.

I'd go back to the old way, though with a more numbers-based than country of origin-based filter. I also think every extra dollar we spend to secure the border is an investment that will come to us through domestic wages. I still cant understand why the traditional Democrat coalition thinks unrestricted immigration is a good idea.

As for the minimum wage, I dont see reducing it as a magic bullet for anything but I'd like to start transitioning away from giving people 2 years of UI and get a jump on hiring again, even if it means the states allow businesses to pay a lower wage for a few years if it bring about extra job openings. The success of welfare reform was to institute work requirements - we've undone a lot of that in the last few years. Time to tap the brakes, IMO. We've got way too many people sitting on the sidelines.

Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #16
SR is my life!

El Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger Club
El Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger ClubEl Caliente 40K Burger Club
Well, we better start tipping better.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
hard, pipe-hittin'

SaintJ has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sparkle View Post
We've got way too many people sitting on the sidelines.
Minimum wage reduction won't have any meaningful effect. People are on the sidelines because their meaningful jobs are being filled by decently educated and trained people in other countries. Education funding and reform WILL have en effect.

But it won't happen overnight, and its effects won't be seen in an election cycle, so probably nobody will be able to do something like increasing funding while at the same time creating more choice in distressed areas.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Disrespectful to dirt

Mr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Mr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of FamerMr. Sparkle is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Minimum wage reduction won't have any meaningful effect. People are on the sidelines because their meaningful jobs are being filled by decently educated and trained people in other countries. Education funding and reform WILL have en effect.

But it won't happen overnight, and its effects won't be seen in an election cycle, so probably nobody will be able to do something like increasing funding while at the same time creating more choice in distressed areas.
I'm all for education reform, and will preach to anyone that will listen about the changes underway in New Orleans public education. I do think we can do it right without increasing funding, though (and may have to, since we're sorta broke right now). We've jacked up spending on education for 40 years without much to show for it.

Charts-- 10 Facts About K-12 Education Funding
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=66

Anyway, I was looking to the shorter term, things we can do relatively quickly that might bear fruit in the next few years, not things that might not become visibile until the next generation. Because that generational change might get derailed if we have a chronically underemployed bloc of 20+ million people in those same homes.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
SR is my life!

mister pc has disabled reputation
Quote:
I'm all for education reform, and will preach to anyone that will listen about the changes underway in New Orleans public education. I do think we can do it right without increasing funding, though (and may have to, since we're sorta broke right now). We've jacked up spending on education for 40 years without much to show for it.

Charts-- 10 Facts About K-12 Education Funding
Fast Facts

Anyway, I was looking to the shorter term, things we can do relatively quickly that might bear fruit in the next few years, not things that might not become visibile until the next generation. Because that generational change might get derailed if we have a chronically underemployed bloc of 20+ million people in those same homes.
I'll agree that short term corrections are welcome as well, but still disagree with the suggested remedy in this thread. I don't see it as coincidence that the economic recession happens to coincide with unprecedented income inequality, so I don't believe that exacerbating the trend of income inequality is likely to be a productive short term fix to economic depression.
mister pc is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #20
Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009

Jeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true Saint
Jeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true SaintJeff Miller is a true Saint

Awards Showcase
Audio/Video/News Contributions Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:

i believe in education and all that, however, just getting a better educated population 15 years from now is not going to bring back the jobs in mexico, china, korea and india where the cost of labor, cost of environmental standards, and cost of supply line integration are all lower and remain to be lower.

Americans have priced themselves out of the labor market for a number reasons, be it health care cost, pension cost, inability to build in area's due land management restrictions and the relatively low cost of transportation.

the only viable solution is to impose tariffs on imported goods to balance out the cost of production in a foreign country.
Jeff Miller is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #21
Fan By Blood

redlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to behold
redlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to beholdredlandssaintsson is a splendid one to behold
I like this idea. I'm no economist, but I like reducing minimum wage. It "could" add to more employment and reduced prices of goods due to reduced demand. It's risky, as it could do neither of those things, but hey, if we're sinking anyway, might as well toss out any idea.
redlandssaintsson is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #22
SR is my life!

DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
psst.. if you hire illegals and pay them in cash they will work even cheaper without complaining because they dont want to be deported. Silly businessmen learn from California.

You can always find a way to succeed or an excuse to fail.
DaveinCoalinga is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #23

gordonb60 is an unknown quantity at this point
and the price of gasoline continues to rise?
gordonb60 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #24
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBaghead View Post
It is, but there are loop holes for tipped employees. I know a lot of waiters only make like 2 or 3 bucks an hour around here, plus tips. Problem is, restaurants take advantage of that low wage and have waiters and waitresses do tons of prep and clean up after hours since there wage is cheaper then paying the bus boys.
That's not taking advantage, it's part of the job.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #25
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
we have a lot fewer millionaires then we used to..
Perhaps, but we've got a whole lot more 100 millionaires and billionaires.

A million dollar net worth aint what it used to be.