home
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Google Ads
Latest Poll
It's been reported that Graham is looking for $12 mill/yr. You are Loomis, what would you do?
Give him the 12 mill per year
Give him Gronkowski money plus a little bit
Franchise tag him as a TE
Franchise tag him as a WR
Franchise tag him and try to trade him
Let him walk
Sponsored Ads

Old 12-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
Hall-of-Famer

Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
but its not the governments role to determine what a private restaraunt can and can't serve. the restaraunt can't make you eat the food it servers, its the choice of the individual. eating one greasy cheese burger isn't going to make your obese, eating three every day will. so the issue is not the restaraunt, is the inability of individuals not exerting self control and moderation in their diet habits, and its the job of the government to deny the rest of us who are the ability to each what we choose to, when we choose to because a bunch of idiots can't be responsible.

Ummm.

One of the government's roles is exactly that of determining what private restaurants can and can't serve. The question is of a degree, not if they can.

Government regulates that private restaurants have to adhere to certain standards in sanitary practices. It regulates that restaurants can't serve the meat of endangered animals. It regulates that a restaurant can't advertise a product being of certain quality and then serving a lesser or different quality.

So it's not a question of rather or not a government regulates private restaurants, it's to what degree they should and it's not a simple answer because there are very much two legitimate options.

Like it or not, obesity is a serious issue for all Americans and especially children. However unlike adults, children have no concept or concern over the long term consequences of eating unhealthy. Parents should not always have the final say in how much they will **** up their child's future. Sometimes another force needs to step in and prevent bad parents from seriously ******* up the health of a child. Since the days of a community stepping up and doing it is over right now, the government is the only choice with the power and authority.

On the other hand it is very much a slippery slope of the government micromanaging its citizens lives. I know many people believe that it should side with the choice of personal freedom regardless of the harmful consequences, that more freedom will always triumph in the end, I can I see their point. On the other hand I see land whales dragging along land whale juniors behind them on their motorized carts and I think that maybe something should stop the cycle of unhealthy behavior.
Cosmic201 is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #16
Very Banned

Jonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger Club
Jonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic201 View Post
I love how we can have the same posters first complain about how overly complicated the government can be in laws and regulation and then be so ecstatic when companies pull **** like this.

This is the reason laws and regulations are overly complicated. This is the reason things like the tax code are a million pages long. Because companies will find and abuse any loop hole they can to get away with violating the spirit of a law, if not the letter.

This is in no way my opinion on the law it self. I think it's silly personally, but obesity is a serious issue in children and I think it's proven so far to not be effective to leave it only up to the parents.
All of societies' ills could be stopped with one law. Parents have to pass a test to get a "child" permit.

Corporations blame the government, and government blames the corporations, and nobody is stopping the real problem
Jonesy77 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #17
Hall-of-Famer

Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Cosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true SaintCosmic201 is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
i don't see anywhere in the US Constitution or any state constitution that the government has right become the defacto parent in any case that doesn't involve child abuse, which is a crime.

so if you let your kid play xbox for to long everyday you think the government should have a remote switch to turn off your tv? If you kid rides a bike without a helmet should the government require you put training wheels back on the bike?
Then it's a matter of what is child abuse.

If a child grows up with parents who don't install a sense of responsibility towards everyday life and the child's future, I can easily argue it being a case of child abuse. A child has no thought about its future beyond the immediate future. It is the parents responsibility to do that thinking for them.

If the parents are unable or unwilling to do so, should we as a society be content with condemning that child to a dead end future?

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #18
Hall-of-Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy77 View Post
All of societies' ills could be stopped with one law. Parents have to pass a test to get a "child" permit.

Corporations blame the government, and government blames the corporations, and nobody is stopping the real problem

Honestly I can agree with that first statement.

I have to jump through more legal hoops to get a pet then I do to produce a child. Children are a huge commitment, they are both a huge burden and a huge joy, but many people go into parenting completely unprepared.

Some, if not many, of those people come out in the end okay, but there are plenty who do not.

Personally I think at age 12 or so, girls (and boys if they invent something) should be fitted with an IUD and only removed after they turn 21 and request it, paired with ability to raise the child. Meaning no strung out drugie in love with her equally strung out boyfriend of 3 weeks should have their IUD removed.

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #19
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Sounds to me like something parents need to not be feeding their children. Don't put free toys in a happy meal is government's solution to this?
It's San Franciscan's attempt at a solution.

Aren't they free, in your book, to vote for whatever sorts of laws they like?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #20
Very Banned

Jonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger Club
Jonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger ClubJonesy77 40K Burger Club
No, they are not free to vote for any law they would like.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
SR is my life!

mister pc has disabled reputation
This is out of control, next thing you know the government is going to make cigarette companies stop using cartoon characters to advertise their product. Why should anyone have a problem with unhealthy food being marketed to children, I mean childhood obesity is only triple the rate now than it was one generation ago. Damn liberals in California!
mister pc is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:53 PM   #22
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
No, they are not free to vote for any law they would like.
Is it Unconstitutional for them to restrict the give away of lead coated Chinese plastic that ultimately ends up forever in a landfill?

Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #23
Subscribing Member

champ76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Club
champ76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidomerkinsrules View Post
hooray for cancer, obesity and toxic landfills
it's a banner day for same ol ****
God knows there was no cancer, obesity and toxic landfills before McDonalds.
champ76 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
Subscribing Member

champ76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Club
champ76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Clubchamp76 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtradin View Post
It's San Franciscan's attempt at a solution.

Aren't they free, in your book, to vote for whatever sorts of laws they like?
And we are free to mock their attempts.
champ76 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #25
Living the Dream

Sandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true Saint
Sandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true SaintSandman is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic201 View Post
I love how we can have the same posters first complain about how overly complicated the government can be in laws and regulation and then be so ecstatic when companies pull **** like this.

This is the reason laws and regulations are overly complicated. This is the reason things like the tax code are a million pages long. Because companies will find and abuse any loop hole they can to get away with violating the spirit of a law, if not the letter.

This is in no way my opinion on the law it self. I think it's silly personally, but obesity is a serious issue in children and I think it's proven so far to not be effective to leave it only up to the parents.
Couldn't it also be argued that companies (and individuals) have to find loopholes to avoid "silly" laws that the government has no business passing? Stop passing silly laws and maybe people will stop looking for ways to avoid them.

Just because the government can pass a law doesn't mean it should.
Sandman is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #26
Very Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtradin View Post
Is it Unconstitutional for them to restrict the give away of lead coated Chinese plastic that ultimately ends up forever in a landfill?
I wouldn't think so.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #27
He didn't make it

OhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true Saint
OhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true SaintOhioSaintsFan is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister pc View Post
Why should anyone have a problem with unhealthy food being marketed to children, I mean childhood obesity is only triple the rate now than it was one generation ago.
Yeah. Let's make laws instead of blaming the people actually paying for the Happy Meal.
OhioSaintsFan is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #28
Hall-of-Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Couldn't it also be argued that companies (and individuals) have to find loopholes to avoid "silly" laws that the government has no business passing? Stop passing silly laws and maybe people will stop looking for ways to avoid them.

Just because the government can pass a law doesn't mean it should.
A law being 'silly' is, like your opinion man.

You might find it silly, but others find it a legitimate avenue to be used to help address a serious issue. Advocating for companies to do everything they can to get around laws is not a good policy.

Just because you don't agree with a law, doesn't make it silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioSaintsFan View Post
Yeah. Let's make laws instead of blaming the people actually paying for the Happy Meal.

I do blame the parents. It is very much their responsability to raise their kids in a healthy and productive fashion.

Now what? Blaming the parents does nothing if they are unwilling or unable to see the damage they are doing to their children by feeding them nothing buy extremely unhealthy foods. Like most real issues in the world, there isn't one simple solution to the growing problem of childhood obesity. It will require the cooperation of parents, schools, government, and business in making it easier for kids to get the diet they need. Getting rid of toys used to bribe kids in wanting a happy meal is just one part of that overall plan.