Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Old 01-11-2017, 12:45 AM   #1
Very Banned

saint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
saint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Obama's approval amongst military members

Only 36% of military members approve of the job he's done for the past 8 years. Very telling when you take a look at where our military has gone over the last 8 years. And having been in the military myself for the past 20 years I can totally agree with this percentage above.

edit with link to military times
http://www.militarytimes.com/article...egacy-military
saint_cajun78 is offline Reply With Quote

6 out of 28 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:21 AM   #2
Bury me in smoke...

nolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Member
nolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Member
You do know that RT is a russian government-controlled 'news' source, right? You'd think as a 'patriot', that would be the last source you'd use, and there's no link to the supposed Military Times 'report' in this rt article from Jan. '15.
"It's not about the blocked punt or the ring, it's about what you're gonna do when you walk out of this room," - Steve Gleason “Mustang Three-Actual, this is Mustang Six. Good news, brother: Your Saints just won the Super Bowl.”
nolaspe is online now Reply With Quote

12 out of 14 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:40 AM   #3
waste of paint

FuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger Club
FuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger Club
Shockingly, the numbers from the RT article are flat out wrong.

This is a direct link to the survey they are referencing:

The Obama era is over. Here's how the military rates his legacy

Quote:
About 36 percent said they approve of his job as commander in chief.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...mas-years.html

Quote:
Military officers had a higher opinion of Obama, compared to enlisted personnel, 44-to-35 percent.
Even Fox News was more accurate that RT. Imagine that.
FuzzyDunlop is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #4
Over 5k Red Thumbs Deserved

Galbreath34 has disabled reputation
I think it did dip that low back in 2014. If you want a true poll for when he comes out, why not look to America instead of Russia?

The Obama era is over. Here's how the military rates his legacy

Quote:
More than half of troops surveyed in the latest Military Times/Institute for Veterans and Military Families poll said they have an unfavorable opinion of Obama and his two-terms leading the military. About 36 percent said they approve of his job as commander in chief.

Their complaints include the president’s decision to decrease military personnel (71 percent think it should be higher), his moves to withdraw combat troops from Iraq (59 percent say it made America less safe) and his lack of focus on the biggest dangers facing America (64 percent say China represents a significant threat to the U.S.)

But more than two-thirds support Obama's mantra that securing America means building strong alliances with foreign powers. And more than 60 percent think his use of drones and special forces teams for precision strikes — instead of large-scale military operations — has helped U.S. national security.
Setting "more troop/more jobs" aside... The number two source of opposition is not staying bogged down in Iraq. Are you saying you're with that group? The number one source? Not going to war with China.

So yeah, I'm ok with people that want us to stay in Iraq and bomb China being miffed.

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #5

Funny, you went with the graph, but we were looking at the same piece.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 01:46 AM   #6
waste of paint

FuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger Club
FuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger ClubFuzzyDunlop 50K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbreath34 View Post
Funny, you went with the graph, but we were looking at the same piece.
The damn graph blew the margins, so I took it down, but yeah it is linked in the article.

Pretty interesting results all around, either way.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:00 AM   #7
Very Banned

saint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
saint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famersaint_cajun78 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
I stand corrected. ..36% is still very telling. When more than half the military want you gone then that paints a pretty clear picture of what kind of CINC you have been.

0 out of 24 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:09 AM   #8

Look at the reasons given for disapproval and approval. Do you agree with the agenda the disapprovers say caused them to say they did not approve?

Do you think we should go back into Iraq again? Do you think we should not focus on Iran and should focus on preparing to fight China? Or that we should be more focused on large scale high troop level invasions?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 AM   #9
Bury me in smoke...

nolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Member
nolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Membernolaspe Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint_cajun78 View Post
I stand corrected. ..36% is still very telling. When more than half the military want you gone then that paints a pretty clear picture of what kind of CINC you have been.
Obama signed off on the mission to eliminate Bin Laden and has been hitting the Daesh pretty hard the past few yrs (which is a direct result of the mess W left in Iraq). Drone strikes have gone up and direct troop involvement in harm's way have gone down. Yeah, sounds like a CINC who hates our troops. Oh, and you can thank the your GOP 'heroes' for slashing mental health services for our veterans.
"It's not about the blocked punt or the ring, it's about what you're gonna do when you walk out of this room," - Steve Gleason “Mustang Three-Actual, this is Mustang Six. Good news, brother: Your Saints just won the Super Bowl.”
nolaspe is online now Reply With Quote

10 out of 13 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:23 AM   #10
Very Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbreath34 View Post
Look at the reasons given for disapproval and approval. Do you agree with the agenda the disapprovers say caused them to say they did not approve?

Do you think we should go back into Iraq again? Do you think we should not focus on Iran and should focus on preparing to fight China? Or that we should be more focused on large scale high troop level invasions?

Yes I do agree. The main reason being the massive drawdown in force size across the 5 branches. We are the smallest we have been in our Air Force's history! And that is a problem. We are doing more with less, but most outside the military view it as a reduction in Afghanistan and the Levant. No we have been reduced at our stateside bases and overseas bases. And let's not get started on pay and compensation!

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:34 AM   #11
Very Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaspe View Post
Obama signed off on the mission to eliminate Bin Laden and has been hitting the Daesh pretty hard the past few yrs (which is a direct result of the mess W left in Iraq). Drone strikes have gone up and direct troop involvement in harm's way have gone down. Yeah, sounds like a CINC who hates our troops. Oh, and you can thank the your GOP 'heroes' for slashing mental health services for our veterans.
Please don't lecture me on what our military has done and is currently doing. I'm sitting in the middle east right now as I type this while you're home safe and sound. Your welcome.
And we have had our hands tied for years with this current administration when it comes to carrying out the most effective military strategies we are capable of carrying out. Plinking out roads and bridges are hardly the limitations of our arsenal. Meanwhile women and children are being killed while we only fly Air tasking ordered missions. Like it or not in order to win against these idiots you need to fight fire with fire..more boots on the ground to knock these radical extremists into the world beyond. Don't believe everything you hear and see on CNN...

4 out of 20 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 02:50 AM   #12

Fair enough and consistent to agree with the 51% that disapprove (or even the 29 that do so strongly). So I do think you're being sincere and honest.

Sorry, but more than a decade of adding boots on the ground and multiple surges (including one stamped by Obama that had more troops on the ground than the first surge) failing doesn't give me any more confidence in the military self-assessment of troop levels and effectiveness than the history of Vietnam or Korea showed. If you can't seal the deal in a decade getting backdoor deployment extensions to maintain high troop levels, you lose the ability to keep asking for more and more. We can respect your service without being willing to write an endless blank check for either failure or a mission so ill defined it can never be won.

Just as I respect a doctor for trying to save a life or a detective for pursuing an investigation, I respect our troops. In those cases I wouldn't be willing to support a doctor still working on a patient past rigor mortis trying to bring him back nor would I support paying an investigator to work a case 40 hours a week for 10 years with no end in sight. I'd admire the passion, but not condone the further effort. Disagreeing with someone blind to the forest for being stuck in the middle of it is not refusing support.

6 out of 8 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 AM   #13
Very Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galbreath 660931
Fair enough and consistent to agree with the 51% that disapprove (or even the 29 that do so strongly). So I do think you're being sincere and honest.

Sorry, but more than a decade of adding boots on the ground and multiple surges (including one stamped by Obama that had more troops on the ground than the fsurge) failing doesn't give me any more confidence in the military self-assessment of troop levels and effectiveness than the history of Vietnam or Korea showed. If you can't seal the deal in a decade getting backdoor deployment extensions to maintain high troop levels, you lose the ability to keep asking for more and more. We can respect your service without being willing to write an endless blank check for either failure or a mission so ill defined it can never be won.

Just as I respect a doctor for trying to save a life or a detective for pursuing an investigation, I respect our troops. In those cases I wouldn't be willing to support a doctor still working on a patient past rigor mortis trying to bring him back nor would I support paying an investigator to work a case 40 hours a week for 10 years with no end in sight. I'd admire the passion, but not condone the further effort. Disagreeing with someone blind to the forest for being stuck in the middle of it is not refusing support.
Wow! I cannot believe you actually compared the wars in Vietnam and Korea to the current situation we are in. this is not a conventional war in the sense that we fought against those two other nations we are fighting a new type of enemy that does not follow the rules of engagement. Your complete and utter disregard to this fact shows me that you do not know the true facts of how we have come to this point. truth of the matter is that Obama prematurely took us out of Iraq before the job was completed thus thrusting us backwards and now we are trying to help the Iraqi military take back mosul. if we would have stayed and finished the job we would not be backtracking with less troops I might add. what a backhanded reply, you're going to sit there and try to put the blame on the military not getting the job done you my friend are not a patriot. if our troops wouldn't have been pulled out early as Obama tried so hard to do to make good on his promise, even though the job was not done and he knew this but instead he sucked up his pride and went through with it knowing he was screwing with the progress made. and as a result ISIS grew stronger in both Their military capabilities and the land that they controlled.

0 out of 15 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:39 AM   #14
waste of paint

Quote:

truth of the matter is that Obama prematurely took us out of Iraq before the job was completed thus thrusting us backwards and now we are trying to help the Iraqi military take back mosul. if we would have stayed and finished the job we would not be backtracking with less troops I might add. what a backhanded reply, you're going to sit there and try to put the blame on the military not getting the job done you my friend are not a patriot. if our troops wouldn't have been pulled out early as Obama tried so hard to do to make good on his promise, even though the job was not done and he knew this but instead he sucked up his pride and went through with it knowing he was screwing with the progress made. and as a result ISIS grew stronger in both Their military capabilities and the land that they controlled.
For someone that is attempting to lecture others on knowing the real facts, you sure seem to be misled about who was responsible for what in leaving Iraq.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.22805915a717

Quote:
In 2008, after extensive negotiations, President Bush and Iraqi leaders finalized a comprehensive Status of Forces Agreement, which set a path for curtailing the long U.S. military presence and gradually handing the Iraqi government more responsibility for its own security. As part of the agreement, the Bush administration agreed to remove all combat troops from Iraq by the end of 2011. After Obama took over in 2009, many U.S. officials, like many in Baghdad, wanted to strike a new arrangement that would leave a residual force to help Iraq face ongoing security challenges. Both sides abandoned efforts to strike a deal in October 2011, when it became clear that the Iraqi political leaders would not accept the Obama administration’s conditions regarding legal protections for remaining U.S. soldiers. At the time, many political observers believed that outcome suited the White House, where many leaders were eager to leave the messy conflict started by Obama’s predecessor in the past.
Several months later, on Dec. 15, 2011, Obama’s then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta visited Baghdad to officially lower the flag on the U.S. mission there.
Let me guess, fake news right?

Maybe you have a link from Russia Today with a different take on things. Feel free to post it.

9 out of 12 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:08 AM   #15
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Member
dtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Memberdtc Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
[ might Qmith rE=Galb.rea what do this660931]Fair enough and consistent to agree with the 51% that disapprove (or even the 29 that do so strongly). So I do think you're being sincere and honest.

Sorry, but more than a decade of adding boots on the ground and multiple surges (including one stamped by Obama that had more troops on the ground than the fsurge) failing doesn't give me any more confidence in the military self-assessment of troop levels and effectiveness than the history of Vietnam or Korea showed. If you can't seal the deal in a decade getting backdoor deployment extensions to maintain high troop levels, you lose the ability to keep asking for more and more. We can respect your service without being willing to write an endless blank check for either failure or a mission so ill defined it can never be won.

Wow! I cannot believe you actually compared the wars in Vietnam and Korea to the current situation we are in. this is not a conventional war in the sense that we fought against those two other nations we are fighting a new type of enemy that does not follow the rules of engagement. Your complete and utter disregard to this fact shows me that you do not know the true facts of how we have come to this point. truth of the matter is that Obama prematurely took us out of Iraq before the job was completed thus thrusting us backwards and now we are trying to help the Iraqi military take back mosul. if we would have stayed and finished the job we would not be backtracking with less troops I might add. what a backhanded reply, you're going to sit there and try to put the blame on the military not getting the job done you my friend are not a patriot. if our troops wouldn't have been pulled out early as Obama tried so hard to do to make good on his promise, even though the job was not done and he knew this but instead he sucked up his pride and went through with it knowing he was screwing with the progress made. and as a result ISIS grew stronger in both Their military capabilities and the land that they controlled.[/QUOTE]

Truth of the matter, you are showing us the reasons we have a civilian CIC in charge of the military.

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.