Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
Question about MSY (New Orleans) Airport

I was listening to Collen Cowherd today trying to get a reading on what his guests would say about our bounty program. One thing that Collen brought up was that New Orleans is different. That MSY, Orlando, and Vegas have the highest taxes on plain tickets flying into the airport, the highest rental car fees and taxes, and a few other things, however unlike Orlando, and Vegas, New Orleans airport is the oldest, funkiest, and most unpleasant airport of the 3. Now all 3 are in cities that depend a ton on tourism yet, only New Orleans is the only one that doesnt try to present itself better when you get into the airport.

My question is, why is that? I have gone through Vegas (and I have read about Orlando) so I can compare the two and he is right. Heck even the food court in New Orleans is bad, and New Orleans is known for its great food. I know that right now MSY is going through some major renovations for the Super Bowl but what took so long? The airport has been sitting on this money and just now wants to start redoing the place? What gives? I don't like people talking down my home city, but when it is true, its true.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
you must chill

Location: Metairie- Mandeville (MHS) - Uptown - Alexandria VA
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

To give them some credit, they have been working on a concourse-by-concourse modernization, though it seems like it's been going on for years. I think that it is true that MSY has some of the highest taxes/fees around. I recall maybe a decade ago, they were comparing MSY to Charlotte, and the airport/city fees per passenger was about twice as much at MSY.

I think the whole airport arrangement (I think it's considered Orleans, is that right?) is probably left over from the old school days but it probably generates good revenue for the interests involved so there isn't much impetus to change it.

It seems to function just fine, even if the bells and whistles aren't there. But there's a Popeyes and bars where you need them . . . so I don't have any complaints really.
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
To give them some credit, they have been working on a concourse-by-concourse modernization, though it seems like it's been going on for years. I think that it is true that MSY has some of the highest taxes/fees around. I recall maybe a decade ago, they were comparing MSY to Charlotte, and the airport/city fees per passenger was about twice as much at MSY.

I think the whole airport arrangement (I think it's considered Orleans, is that right?) is probably left over from the old school days but it probably generates good revenue for the interests involved so there isn't much impetus to change it.

It seems to function just fine, even if the bells and whistles aren't there. But there's a Popeyes and bars where you need them . . . so I don't have any complaints really.

correct.

Altho located in Kenner, its considered Orleans.

As for renovations....they have been ongoing for over 9 years now. Started with the runways in 2002. Then concourse(s) and parking ( still ongoing). I just dont think we have the traffic Orlando and Vegas do. It may be due to taxes (gate fees, tax etc ) and like u said, it was set up this way under the "old establishment" and hasnt changed since.

(well, a lil since Pappy Barre is in jail )

Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
Word.

mb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saint
mb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saintmb504 is a true Saint
The airport is owned and operated by the City of New Orleans through a "satellite agency" called the New Orleans Aviation Board. The majority of the members of the board are appointed by the mayor of New Orleans, and I think the mayor of Kenner, Jefferson Parish and St. Charles Parish each have a token representative.

Just like every other part of New Orleans city government, the airport board has been horribly mismanaged and corrupt ever since it came into existence. New Orleans mayors have used it as another tool for handing out fat patronage contracts to their cronies, and none cared much that this came at the expense of a modern, non-embarrassing airport. The last few airport directors have been indicted and convicted of various things. I think the New Orleans Inspector General recently called the airport a "pit of corruption," and that's probably an accurate description.

Like the rest of city government, there seems to be a genuine effort to turn things around.

There was some talk of privatizing the airport when Ray Nagin came into office, but like most of his ideas there was no real follow-up.
mb504 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
BIRTH CONTROL IS IMMORAL

JimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger Club
JimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger Club
The New Orleans airport is crappy. Its one of a handful of big reasons New Orleans has long been surpassed in economic importance by other southern cities.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
We have Melvin Williams

saintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
saintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famersaintsfan84 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post
The New Orleans airport is crappy. Its one of a handful of big reasons New Orleans has long been surpassed in economic importance by other southern cities.
It really is sad. It's the first thing you see when you get here and the last when you leave.

We should have way better food and drinking options. Maybe some places open beyond 8:00 pm too. :-/
saintsfan84 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Still P***ed at Yoko

Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
i've never really noticed the 'crappiness' of Moisant, Louis Armstrong, or whatever it's been called.. Maybe i'm just not that observant though, because i have heard a lot of people complain about it over the years... What i have noticed, however, is how tiny the airport seems in comparison to just about every other airport i've ever flown into-- NOLA may not have the traffic of an Orlando or a Vegas, but it's still what i would consider a major tourist destination, and it always catches me off guard how small the airport is.. Also, one night i flew in about 9 or 10:00 at night, and i was stunned to see that the airport was practically empty, my flight was literally the only one arriving at the airport during the timeframe i was there.. Of course, this was only a year or two after The Storm, so it may be different now.
Mr. Blue Sky is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
BIRTH CONTROL IS IMMORAL

JimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger Club
JimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
i've never really noticed the 'crappiness' of Moisant, Louis Armstrong, or whatever it's been called.. Maybe i'm just not that observant though, because i have heard a lot of people complain about it over the years... What i have noticed, however, is how tiny the airport seems in comparison to just about every other airport i've ever flown into-- NOLA may not have the traffic of an Orlando or a Vegas, but it's still what i would consider a major tourist destination, and it always catches me off guard how small the airport is.. Also, one night i flew in about 9 or 10:00 at night, and i was stunned to see that the airport was practically empty, my flight was literally the only one arriving at the airport during the timeframe i was there.. Of course, this was only a year or two after The Storm, so it may be different now.
That is more what I mean. Its tiny.
For a city with the geographical advantages it has with the water ports the airport is completely inadequate and has been for generations.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #9
Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009

Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club
Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Audio/Video/News Contributions Award 

Its not the nicest airport i've seen, but its not the worst either. I would call it functional, but not fancy. I think the main "issue" with the airport is it is not a major hub for any airline. I can't fly to MSY directly from the west coast. I have to go through either Denver, Chicago, Salt Lake or Atlanta. With a major hub, there really isn't much of a reason for it to be more than it is, its pretty much just a glorified regional airport.

btw, the worst terminal i've ever seen, was Dullus in Washington DC. Course the Continental region terminal in Houston is pretty bad too.
Jeff Miller is online now Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #10
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
I'm sitting in the Admiral's Club at DFW and it's is a far cry better than MSY. That said, this city stinks and it even has bars that look like that star stadium down the road. Everything here is fake, plastic and made up. Heck, I stayed in some Gaylord Texan place last night and it's like a redneck theme park inside with fake trees and boulders and streams all with country tunes playing in the giant fake western hell.

DFW and ATL have 10 times the traffic and they're major hubs. NOLA is an end destination. DFW and even ORL are much busier and NOLA has nowhere near the traffic.

Also, I think the fact that 6.5 years ago there was something called Katrina that put basic survival of the city at the forefront might have sidetracked the city's ability and attention from turning MSY into a Disney Airport.

Perhaps.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
Katrina or not, there was plenty time before, and there has been 6.5 years since to hop on the extra charges that MSY throws on tickets...maybe the extra charges are why not as many flights go through there as before.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caliente View Post
Katrina or not, there was plenty time before, and there has been 6.5 years since to hop on the extra charges that MSY throws on tickets...maybe the extra charges are why not as many flights go through there as before.
I'm here to look at a hotel model that a client needs built in other areas and spent the last 2 days looking around the DFW airport at infrastructure improvements that are in the multiple billions of dollars. This place is in the middle of the country and hellish or not it's a stop over. NOLA is not. NOLA is at a dead end and there's no way with the expense and stress put on the city from Katrina that I think it would have been reasonable previously to drop billions on the airport. It's really too bad, but when you're facing hundreds of dead schools, collapsing roads and everything NOLA has had to deal with since Katrina, I'm thinking a functional airport is simply one of the prices you've got to pay when you prioritize limited money.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
SR is my life!

I am not saying we need a Denver, Hobby, or Atlanta, we should already, or be in the process of being on par with Orlando and Vegas but we aren't. It's not a huge surprise that flights to and from there are dying.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
you must chill

Location: Metairie- Mandeville (MHS) - Uptown - Alexandria VA
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caliente View Post
I am not saying we need a Denver, Hobby, or Atlanta, we should already, or be in the process of being on par with Orlando and Vegas but we aren't. It's not a huge surprise that flights to and from there are dying.
Are they dying? I know that they have been adding flights from Reagan (DCA) in the last few years.
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote