New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #29
All-Pro

drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEverett View Post
I guess the modal transportation center people had talked about building near Donaldsonville faded into oblivion?

Something like that is needed.
I sort of figured it would not happen once people in New Orleans and Baton Rouge figured out it would take traffic away from their airports.
I wasn't a fan of the Donaldsonville proposal when it was floated a few years ago. It would have been what, 60-80 minutes to New Orleans? No thanks. I understand that the thinking was by having a regional airport serving 2 million people might be able to attract more airlines than the smaller city airports in BR and NOLA, but I think that benefit is outweighed by the distances (to both cities).

Maybe I'd consider it if there was a light rail system, like BWI has. But I'm a sucker for trains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb504 View Post
There is a trend toward putting in new streetcar routes through the city lately, and I could definitely envision an Elysian Fields route from the river to the lake. Not sure if that's the kind of train you have in mind, but it could happen.
I once put together a map of the old streetcar routes in New Orleans circa 1926. It's crazy to think of what this city used to have, and how it all was torn up.

My favorite (because I'm a River Ridge boy) was the OK Line - which ran from Kenner to Canal Street down Jefferson Highway and Claiborne.

Lakeview/Gentilly were mostly swamp back in the 20s, but the lines did extend all the way down Canal to the Lake, then over onto Robert E Lee to what's now Lake Shore/Vista. There were also lines down Franklin and St Bernard, but they didn't reach to the lake.
drob8785 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #30
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
Didn't nagin want to build an airport in a swamp between Laplace and Kenner or something? What a nutt bag.

drob, if you get a chance, scan and post those maps, that sounds cool. Why New Orleans doesn't have a train system across the city is beyond me. It would be so nice. The train systems in Chicago, NYC, and SLC from the city to the airport are great, and are more environmentally friendly than a cab, so its a win win.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:40 PM   #31
I love the Lord!

DaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
DaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of FamerDaveXA is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
what am i missing in re. to IAH? That's the airport i usually fly out of (Continental specifically) and i just don't see any difference, better or worse, between it and other airports i've gone through.. is it the fact that you usually have to walk a long way to get to your flight? I guess i don't mind that, since i can use the exercise.. And there are actually some decent food places there.
The walking is part of the reason. I've nearly missed connecting flights a couple of times because of that. The lighting was weak and the interior was bland. Their food selection is at least reasonable, but not great.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
Jesus is Awesome! Geaux Saints! Geaux Cajuns!
DaveXA is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #32
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSaint View Post
I don't think that the fact that New Orleans isn't a major hub is a reason to have a crappy airport. MCO also isn't a major hub (MIA is the big hub for Latin America-bound flights), and it's also basically at a dead-end even more than New Orleans. Yet the city still has a state of the art airport. RDU also isn't a hub, but they've just rebuilt one terminal and are in the middle of rebuilding the other.

Whether you're a hub or not, when you're a major tourist destination (or business/research destination in the case of RDU), you have no excuse not to have a modern airport. In fact, having a modern airport (and lowering the fees, improving management, etc.) could do a lot to make New Orleans a regional hub. There's no reason flights to Latin America and the Caribbean should go through IAH, ATL, or MIA, for example, instead of New Orleans. There's no reason the city shouldn't have direct flights to SFO, LAX, etc. and regional connecting flights to Jackson, Mobile, Pensacola, Shreveport, Alexandria, etc. But the completely inadequate airport keeps any of that from happening.

Like so many other infrastructure problems in Louisiana, I might add. At least you can finally drive on most interstate highways in the state without the ba-doom, ba-doom, ba-doom, ba-doom bumps every few feet from the pavement being laid down in sections with big cracks in between....
MIA (and FLL) gets the bulk of their traffic not from Latin America, but cruise lines. MIA is also losing business because of their high operating costs. There is a lot of very nice, but empty space there right now. FLL is taking away a lot of business. Most recently, Alaska Airlines announced they are pulling their flights out of MIA and moving to FLL.

What it takes of forward thinking, a well managed revenue source (PFCs) and a plan. I have seen a entire sheet of projects for the FLL airport and when one is completed, another is just added to the list. It's perpetual.

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #33
Still P***ed at Yoko

Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Mr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger ClubMr. Blue Sky 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post

What it takes of forward thinking, a well managed revenue source (PFCs) and a plan. I have seen a entire sheet of projects for the FLL airport and when one is completed, another is just added to the list. It's perpetual.

off-topic, but i just realized that- living where you do-- you are going to be perfectly situated when LSU plays in the BCS Championship next year.
Mr. Blue Sky is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
BIRTH CONTROL IS IMMORAL

JimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger Club
JimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger ClubJimEverett 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caliente View Post
Didn't nagin want to build an airport in a swamp between Laplace and Kenner or something? What a nutt bag.
I think its a great proposal.
The idea is a cargo airport. It always seemed crazy to me that Dallas/Ft. Worth was making more money off international trade than New Orleans/southeast Louisiana. The reason is their intermodal transportation center, and more specifically the Alliance airport in Ft. Worth. Whcih was the model for the airport in Donaldsonville.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #35
King of Nuttin'

KingBarkus is marching in
KingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching inKingBarkus is marching in
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron error View Post
Vegas airport is nothing to brag about.
I disagree. The baggage claim area is well designed with monitors showing your flight number and carousel number. Transportation options are well marked with good signage.

They are building a new terminal and remodeling another so construction may impact your options. For such a tourist destination, Vegas does a good job with their airport.

You still pay 12 bucks for a Popeyes 3 piece combo, but that is standard for all airports.
KingBarkus is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM   #36
All-Pro

drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
drob, if you get a chance, scan and post those maps, that sounds cool. Why New Orleans doesn't have a train system across the city is beyond me. It would be so nice. The train systems in Chicago, NYC, and SLC from the city to the airport are great, and are more environmentally friendly than a cab, so its a win win.
It was a .kml that I tried uploading onto Google Maps, but it doesn't seem to be embedding very well. I took a screenshot of it and attached it here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NOLAstreetcars1926.jpg (259.3 KB, 16 views)
drob8785 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #37
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
This is stupid drob. Why are we not seeing any of those lines now? Think how helpful those tracks would be to people in those pockets of the city. We really could become a green city if we had those trains.

Is it the taxi, and bus salesmen that are trying to keep these ideas of coming to fruition?

Old 03-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #38
SAVE NOLA

inetnawlins is a glorious beacon of light
inetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of lightinetnawlins is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
Its not the nicest airport i've seen, but its not the worst either. I would call it functional, but not fancy. I think the main "issue" with the airport is it is not a major hub for any airline. I can't fly to MSY directly from the west coast. I have to go through either Denver, Chicago, Salt Lake or Atlanta. With a major hub, there really isn't much of a reason for it to be more than it is, its pretty much just a glorified regional airport.

btw, the worst terminal i've ever seen, was Dullus in Washington DC. Course the Continental region terminal in Houston is pretty bad too.
Agree with most of this but there were direct flights out of L.A. To New Orleans a year ago.
inetnawlins is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #39
SR is my life!

MSY was built for international travel...heck it was the first international terminal in the USA (look it up), but thanks to politicians just pocketing money, and not advancing the airport over time, you saw MSY get outdated, and passed over like Melanie Griffiths.

I think if we built up that airport, made it more travler friendly, and added railcars all over the city, qulity of life, and income would abound from it. Sure it would tick off cabies, and the guys selling the city buses, but so what?

Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #40
Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009

Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club
Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Audio/Video/News Contributions Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
what am i missing in re. to IAH? That's the airport i usually fly out of (Continental specifically) and i just don't see any difference, better or worse, between it and other airports i've gone through.. is it the fact that you usually have to walk a long way to get to your flight? I guess i don't mind that, since i can use the exercise.. And there are actually some decent food places there.
the terminal for their regional commuter flights is like a crowded cramped train station. Not their main terminal.
Jeff Miller is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009

Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club
Jeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger ClubJeff Miller 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by inetnawlins View Post
Agree with most of this but there were direct flights out of L.A. To New Orleans a year ago.
I fly out of Portland PDX. Very nice airport, but it doesn't have all the direct flights that SeaTac and LAX have.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #42
Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009

Awards Showcase

Quote:
MSY was built for international travel...heck it was the first international terminal in the USA (look it up), but thanks to politicians just pocketing money, and not advancing the airport over time, you saw MSY get outdated, and passed over like Melanie Griffiths.

I think if we built up that airport, made it more travler friendly, and added railcars all over the city, qulity of life, and income would abound from it. Sure it would tick off cabies, and the guys selling the city buses, but so what?
When i went to Minniapolas last year, they have a train that goes from the airport, to the mall of america, to the metrodome, to their baseball stadium and downtime. its pretty awsome. NOLA would do well to put one in that stops at the superdome, the CBD, and the end of canal street by Harah's.

but yeh, your right, the cab drivers would throw a huge fit i bet.