Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #1
Sacrilicious

wamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saint
wamland is a true Saint
Santorum supports sale of federal lands in Idaho and the West, citing profits, better management

"GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum told a Boise audience Tuesday night that he would work with Congress to transfer federal lands to states and sell lands to the private sector.
Santorum said the federal government "doesn't care" about its western lands and could make money and improve management by shedding ownership, an idea reminiscent of the "Sagebrush Rebellion" of the 1970s and 1980s.
About one quarter of the U.S. land mass is owned by the U.S. government.
An audience member asked Santorum about his view of "turning land over to the states." He replied that the one national forest in Pennsylvania, a state he represented for 12 years in the U.S. Senate, was poorly run.
He said national parks like Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon belong in federal hands, but that vast tracts of other lands would be appropriate for transfer or sale"

Santorum supports sale of federal lands in Idaho and the West, citing profits, better management | Voices.IdahoStatesman.com

Old 02-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Hall-of-Famer

basilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to beholdbasilisk is a splendid one to behold
basilisk is a splendid one to behold
why not? sounds good to me
basilisk is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
...from a chicken, bugwit

blackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Club
blackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Clubblackadder 50K Burger Club
What if the highest bidder was a Chinese national?

I'm sure he'd change his tune.

Why must I be subjected to the cartoon charachters?
"All you have to do is to tell them (the people) they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
blackadder is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
More than 15K posts served!

guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Member
guidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Memberguidomerkinsrules Prestigious Gold Club Member
i am almost certain that it really doesn't matter what santorum supports

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Very Banned

Sarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger Club
Sarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger Club
My initial reaction is that it's a surprisingly sane idea coming from him, and I don't see the problem with it

Someone convince me how it's a bad thing.

Seriously, what are the potential problems?
Sarcastic is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #6
Very Banned

King Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura aboutKing Stilts has a spectacular aura about
This happens all the time, just not an outrageous such as a national forest
King Stilts is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
Sacrilicious

wamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saint
wamland is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic View Post
My initial reaction is that it's a surprisingly sane idea coming from him, and I don't see the problem with it

Someone convince me how it's a bad thing.

Seriously, what are the potential problems?
It's a bad thing because Federal land was set aside to be used by the people. This was argued back before Yellowstone was established as our first National Park:

"Ferdinand V. Hayden, while not the only person to have thought of creating a park in the Yellowstone region, was the park's first and most enthusiastic advocate.[23] He believed in “setting aside the area as a pleasure ground for the benefit and enjoyment of the people” and warned that there were those who would come and “make merchandise of these beautiful specimens”.[23] Worrying the area could face the same fate as Niagara Falls, he concluded the site should “be as free as the air or Water.”[23] In his report to the Committee on Public Lands, he concluded that if the bill failed to become law, “the vandals who are now waiting to enter into this wonder-land, will in a single season despoil, beyond recovery, these remarkable curiosities, which have requited all the cunning skill of nature thousands of years to prepare”.[24] Hayden and his 1871 party recognized that Yellowstone was a priceless treasure, which would become rarer with time."

and to give it to the states can and most likely will result in the sale of state lands to the highest bidder, locking out the general public. (See Montana)

If you hunt or fish or enjoy the outdoors in any way, this is a potential land grab for the wealthy that locks out the general public by short-sighted or corrupt state land managers. There are already in Santorum's state of Pennsylvania, many places where you have to pay to fish on what should be considered public property.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
SR is my life!

DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
DaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true SaintDaveinCoalinga is a true Saint
Coming from a former Montanan I am totally and completely against this. Massive chunks of Montana are federally owned, and therefore open to anyone to ride horses, hunt, fish, backpack, ski, whatever. Put a landowner on it and all of a sudden you can't or are having to go through a bunch of bull to use their land, which of course as a landowner they have every right to use their land as they see fit.

Living where I do in California, there are chunks of federal land, however around here because they are piecemeal and poor access you can't get to them because the landowners won't let you cross their land to get on it. It stinks. So no, I don't see this going over well with most people out west who use the land.

You can always find a way to succeed or an excuse to fail.
DaveinCoalinga is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
MLU
Secular Humanist

MLU has disabled reputation
I'm just wondering how long it takes before we know which company supporting Santorum wants the land...

Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies. ~ Nietzsche
MLU is offline Reply With Quote

7 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #10
Practice Squad

LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club
LSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger ClubLSSpam 40K Burger Club

Awards Showcase
Professor Pigskin Award 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLU View Post
I'm just wondering how long it takes before we know which company supporting Santorum wants the land...
Rick Santorum's fund raising has been abysmal. Like shockingly low. No one wants to put their money behind him...

...except one SuperPAC. Red, White, and Blue fund which has consistently been the only source of funding keeping Santorum afloat.
Quote:
Santorum Fundraising Unbelievably Low

Rick Santorum is attempting to prove that you do not need campaign contributions to stay in a presidential primary race. In the fourth quarter of 2011, Santorum raised only $915,000. That was, by far, his best fundraising quarter for the year.

While attention has fixated on the super PACs supporting Mitt Romney and Newt Gingrich, Santorum's candidacy has been majorly fueled by a late injection of money from the Red White and Blue Fund, a super PAC funded by investor Foster Friess. The super PAC, along with another group called Leaders for Families, spent $1.8 million to support Santorum's run. That's just $300,000 less than the candidate raised in all of 2011.

The Santorum campaign did announce on Tuesday that fundraising picked up after the former senator officially won the Iowa caucus. According to the campaign, Santorum has raised $4 million in January alone.

-- Paul Blumenthal
Election 2012: Campaign and Super PAC Fundraising

So what is this SuperPAC which has, essentially, kept his campaign afloat for months?

Well, as you can see, it's mostly Foster Friess
Red, White and Blue Fund Contributors | OpenSecrets

And who is Foster Friess? Well, he's retired, lives in Wyoming, and is deeply involved in....

wait for it...
wait for it...

disputes over Federal ownership of land out west.
Feds Try to Lock Land Away from Coloradans « Government « Campfire Blog

Anyways, that's Foster Friess' blog, so if you want to check out Rick Santor....I mean Foster Friess' positions on anything, feel free to take a look.

17 out of 17 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Sacrilicious

wamland is a true Saint
Its so cute how billionaires can now have their own pet politicians. Thanks supreme court.

6 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #12
Hall-of-Famer

TechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
TechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Ahh, yes..Foster Friess..

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #13
Powhatan Power

IntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true Saint
IntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true SaintIntenseSaint is a true Saint
Santor-ummmmm NO!
IntenseSaint is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:08 AM   #14
All-Pro

deltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura about
I'm taking it their is an over abundance of liberals on this site..
Shocking because most of the forums I look at are mostly GOP. Lol

0 out of 6 members found this post helpful.