Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Santorum uses robocalls to registered Democrats

urging them to vote for him.

oh, this friggin guy heeya...(Jersey accent please )

Dems are lining up at the polls for this cat. Too much.

Santorum defends robocalls urging Democrats to vote in Michigan GOP primary - latimes.com

Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
you must chill

Location: Metairie- Mandeville (MHS) - Uptown - Alexandria VA
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 1

It's an open primary. Democrats can vote in it. I don't see the problem.

In fact, I think some crafty voters fairly frequently vote in the other party's primary - choosing the candidate they think their own party's candidate will more easily defeat.

And I suppose that's a bit of irony here: true Democrats aren't likely to just go vote for Santorum because they get a robocall, but it may cause some of them to realize that if they think Obama can more easily beat Santorum, that maybe it is a good idea to go try to help Santorum get the nomination.

But I guess that even if that is happening, it still serves Santorum's immediate goal of winning the GOP nomination.
superchuck500 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Super Forum Fanatic

saintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to behold
saintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to behold
just curious but why would they have open elections for party primaries?
saintfan-n-alex is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
Sacrilicious

wamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saintwamland is a true Saint
wamland is a true Saint
The same thing happened when tubby limbaugh had people vote for Hillary in 08

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
you must chill

superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member
superchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Membersuperchuck500 Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintfan-n-alex View Post
just curious but why would they have open elections for party primaries?
Google says that 17 states have open primaries.

I suspect the rationale is that you shouldn't have to formally be a declared member of the party to have to right to vote in a primary. In other words, in theory it allows independents to have a say.

But the counterpoint would be that it also allows the other party voters to vote in it - for potentially illegitimate purposes.

I think both ideas make sense, but the limited one is probably a bit more persuasive, hence you have about 60% of states with closed primaries.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Loomise-ite

GameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
GameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Anyone who is registered as opposing party and votes for a guy in an open primary that most likely to fail in the general is a tool. I'm sorry to say it but they are tools. Anyone who opposes having the best possible candidates on the debate floor are friggin' tools.

0 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #7
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
Well Michael "Haven't seen a piece of food i didn't like" Moore and friends plan on voting for Santorum as part of Operation Hilarity. He said as much on that guy Rachel Maddows show the other day.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
ppfffffttttt
Candy Tetris Champion Mahjong Champion Bounce Back Champion

efil4stnias has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
It's an open primary. Democrats can vote in it. I don't see the problem.

In fact, I think some crafty voters fairly frequently vote in the other party's primary - choosing the candidate they think their own party's candidate will more easily defeat.

And I suppose that's a bit of irony here: true Democrats aren't likely to just go vote for Santorum because they get a robocall, but it may cause some of them to realize that if they think Obama can more easily beat Santorum, that maybe it is a good idea to go try to help Santorum get the nomination.

But I guess that even if that is happening, it still serves Santorum's immediate goal of winning the GOP nomination.

which could monkey wrench the GOP. Its an interesting ploy. If nomination is his goal, this works out in his favor.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
I lived in Michigan for 3 years. Half the democrats that get that call will go looking for Obamas name, and half of that number will complain why Obama isn't on the ticket.

1 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #10
you must chill

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by efil4stnias View Post
which could monkey wrench the GOP. Its an interesting ploy. If nomination is his goal, this works out in his favor.
Is there any reason to think that nomination isn't his goal?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #11
Truth Addict

Location: Close enough to Atlanta to smell the stink of Falcons
V Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club Member
V Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club MemberV Chip Prestigious Gold Club Member
Personally I don't understand why states allow closed primaries. Technically each Party can do what it wants to, but I don't see why the state should have to shoulder the cost of the parties selecting which candidate they want to send to the general election. It doesn't benefit anyone who is not a member of the party to help that party select their candidate.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. -- Neil Degrasse Tyson

Did you find this post useful?    | 
V Chip is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
dtc
Patriotic Sin Pillows

Starcastle Champion

dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
dtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Memberdtc Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBreaker View Post
Anyone who is registered as opposing party and votes for a guy in an open primary that most likely to fail in the general is a tool. I'm sorry to say it but they are tools. Anyone who opposes having the best possible candidates on the debate floor are friggin' tools.
Kind of like the ones who are re-writing voter id laws and gerrymandering districts, right?

Old 02-28-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

lades is a true Saintlades is a true Saint
lades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saintlades is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtradin View Post
Kind of like the ones who are re-writing voter id laws and gerrymandering districts, right?
Where I live the Republicans have just redrawn my district in the most obscenely absurd manner that in effect negates my vote along with a few thousand other people. So in the spirit of not going to a gun fight with just a butter knife, I think every single Democrat in Michigan should go to the polls and vote for crazy boy Santorum.
lades is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #14
Loomise-ite

GameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
GameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of FamerGameBreaker is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtradin View Post
Have you seen the rules and requirements in drawing district lines? Leaves little to the imagination but still made up as a big political event.

Also, do you assume I was just attacking the left with my previous statement?