New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Go Back   New Orleans Saints - Saints Report - Message Boards > GENERAL > Political Discussion Board

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
SR is my life!

El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
El Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger ClubEl Caliente 50K Burger Club
What is the American Dream

I have heard several people on this board say that the American Dream was dead. I had no idea, it was possible to kill a dream (because if so I could definitely use somebody getting rid of the clowns in my head). But what is the American dream to you? Is it alive? is it dead?

I for one think its alive. Until i am stripped of my free agency and am able to make something for myself, I think it is alive.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
Super Forum Fanatic

saintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to behold
saintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to behold
its alive until a governing body tells me i cannot pursue happiness any longer because they have other plans for my life.

earning my own way, being able to travel freely and feel safe voiceing my opinions without gov. retaliation is all i need in regards to the happiness guaranteed by the founders of this country.

there are some threads of BTL that could be included in said pursuit but i dont think ill get gov approval for the go ahead of those pursuits -
saintfan-n-alex is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran

deauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura aboutdeauxmfan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Caliente View Post
I have heard several people on this board say that the American Dream was dead. I had no idea, it was possible to kill a dream (because if so I could definitely use somebody getting rid of the clowns in my head). But what is the American dream to you? Is it alive? is it dead?

I for one think its alive. Until i am stripped of my free agency and am able to make something for myself, I think it is alive.
Isn't the cliche American dream the husband and wife, 2.5 kids, house with a white picket fence, golden retriever, and matching jogging suits? LOL

Personally, I feel that the dream is different for everyone. I have a house (no fence), a dog (fat terrier, as you can see from my avatar), a job, a vehicle that gets me where I need to go, food and beer in the fridge, and because I don't have the husband and kids, I can pretty much go and do as I please. Pretty damn sweet if you ask me lol. Now if I could just score the winning lottery numbers and season tickets I'd be set for life.
deauxmfan is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
All-Pro

drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
drob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famerdrob8785 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
That's the problem with those pesky non-physical emotions/concepts.

Makes "winning" the War on "Terror" and "Drugs" difficult to do. Same with "killing" the American Dream.

I believe the phrase I've used recently on the PDB was that it was a "lie," not that it was "dead" (although someone might be able to dig up something where I wrote that).

Let's go ahead and use Jindal's definition of the American Dream, which I think is a pretty common one. I'm paraphrasing from his recent CPAC speech:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Jindal
In America, everyone is entitled to the same opportunities, not the same outcomes.
I think that's a fairly good (if not right-wing) example of the American Dream.

I call it a lie because it's just not true - all Americans aren't getting the same opportunities. And data has shown that the opportunities to move "up" in the world have grown fewer and fewer over the past 30 years. I'm in my 20s - and my generation is less socio-economically mobile than my parents' or grandparents' generations were.
drob8785 is offline Reply With Quote

10 out of 10 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
Hall-of-Famer

TechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
TechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTechDawg09 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
If you are truly interested in the history and evolution of the "American Dream" (it hasn't always been one of self fulfillment), I highly recommend this book by Jim Cullen

Amazon.com: The American Dream: A Short History of an Idea that Shaped a Nation (9780195173253): Jim Cullen: Books

Old 02-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
I can has road win?

Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature.
Devildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club Member
Devildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club MemberDevildog Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob8785 View Post

Makes "winning" the War on "Terror" and "Drugs" difficult to do. Same with "killing" the American Dream.

I believe the phrase I've used recently on the PDB was that it was a "lie," not that it was "dead" (although someone might be able to dig up something where I wrote that).

Let's go ahead and use Jindal's definition of the American Dream, which I think is a pretty common one. I'm paraphrasing from his recent CPAC speech:

I call it a lie because it's just not true - all Americans aren't getting the same opportunities. And data has shown that the opportunities to move "up" in the world have grown fewer and fewer over the past 30 years. I'm in my 20s - and my generation is less socio-economically mobile than my parents' or grandparents' generations were.
You just need to get yourself a set of bootstraps. I hear you can pull yourself up with them, or something.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Super Forum Fanatic

TheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
TheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by deauxmfan View Post
Isn't the cliche American dream the husband and wife, 2.5 kids, house with a white picket fence, golden retriever, and matching jogging suits? LOL

Personally, I feel that the dream is different for everyone. I have a house (no fence), a dog (fat terrier, as you can see from my avatar), a job, a vehicle that gets me where I need to go, food and beer in the fridge, and because I don't have the husband and kids, I can pretty much go and do as I please. Pretty damn sweet if you ask me lol. Now if I could just score the winning lottery numbers and season tickets I'd be set for life.
This is the American dream. The opportunity to have a modest house, family (if desired), a job, a way to get to that job, food, and maybe some disposable income.

The American dream is NOT, as some seem to believe, that everyone has the chance to make a million dollars and live like a celebrity.
TheDeuce53 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Super Forum Fanatic

saintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to behold
saintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to beholdsaintfan-n-alex is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce53 View Post
The American dream is NOT, as some seem to believe, that everyone has the chance to make a million dollars and live like a celebrity.
a word to counter that position:

Snookie
saintfan-n-alex is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
Very Banned

Sarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger Club
Sarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger ClubSarcastic 50K Burger Club
The American Dream is the idea of living in a place where you can decide what to do with your life, and pursue happiness

We forget how simple that is, and how rare it is in some places, and we turn it into "financial security and a 3-bedroom house"

The American Dream is the idea that someone, anyone, can be whatever they want to be, regardless of their background, class, or creed

Some people have more hurdles than others - but keeping the Dream alive is about breaking boundaries and opening up opportunities for more people - in short, making the "bootstrap" culture a real thing

When we can legitimately tell people to pick themselves up by the bootstraps, and it's actually possible for everyone to do it through hard work and dedication, the American Dream will then be alive for everyone

But assigning a set of material possessions or a dollar amount to the ideal is a pathetic and shallow characterization of what a lot of people around the world would love to have

All those dudes swimming across the southern border? They're after that Dream
Sarcastic is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
Super Forum Fanatic

TheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
TheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of FamerTheDeuce53 is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintfan-n-alex View Post
a word to counter that position:

Snookie
Aha!

But a counter to your counter: Snookie is anything but normal or average
TheDeuce53 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Okay,who brought the dog?

Superfan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Superfan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSuperfan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSuperfan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSuperfan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSuperfan is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSuperfan is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Have no debt but a house note. Not being a slave to your job. Not having a dumb boss tell you to come in on sunday likes its a choice and tells you that your job is in the balance.

Either live big or retire big.

How many of us have/had grandparents that lived in one home their entire lives? People today are so caught up in bills that our grandparents played their cards right and saved their money.

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Super Forum Fanatic

Ken-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Ken-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of FamerKen-Bob is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
America is supposed to be the land of opportunity. Considering that opportunities for improving ones-self are dwindling (and have been for 10 years), I'd say the American Dream, while not dead, is definitely on life support.
Ken-Bob is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #13
Who Dat Nation

wnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
wnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famerwnelson is an Sr.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob8785 View Post

maybe the most honest thing i have read on the PDB
Jerral Wayne "Jerry" Jones Sr. is an American businessman. He is the owner, president, and poor excuse of a general manager of the NFL's Dallas Cowboys. He is by far the worst GM in professional sports history and has an ego bigger than the state of Texas.
wnelson is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2012, 02:15 AM   #14
Sour Pennies

Eeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true Saint
Eeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true SaintEeyore is a true Saint
The American dream isn't dead for all but it isn't what many of us were told it was.

Typical modern story:

I recently signed a bid at work for Journeyman Mechanic (It pays $1.70 more than what I make now).

The boss got upset and asked me why. Said that they need me where I am.

I was prepared for him. I showed him my first (two week) paycheck after they let me run my own shift in May 1997 it was somewhere around $1,400. Then I showed him the first paycheck of February 1998. It was a little over $1,600. Then I showed him my first paycheck of February 2012 (I make $9 more per hour than in 1997) it was $1,500. Fifteen years later and I bring home about the same money. In that time I have earned an Associates, a Bachelors and a Masters degree in management for what amounts to $0 raise over 15 years. All of the "benefits" that were paid by the company in 1997-98 now cost me about $9 per hour. Funny how that works out.

Everything costs a lot more now than it did 15 years ago but my paycheck is exactly the same.

Hard work doesn't pay
Education doesn't pay (It costs a lot of money)

My 401k is worth over $100,000 less than I have contributed over those 15 years.

My house is worth the same now as it was 9 years ago when I bought it despite over $50,000 worth of repairs and upgrades.

The dream is there but it isn't what we thought it was.

My Grandfather lived it. Found a job with Cosden oil and bought as much company stock as the company matching plan allowed. One day the stock price hit a magic number and he told his broker to sell. The next day he was on his way to his home town to live out his days. Try that now and the company you work for will find a way to steal your money.

I used to tell kids to either become an engineer or go to medical school. Now engineering is being outsourced and soon technology will make medical school a waste of time and money too but for now its safe. Your best bet is to invent something and hope that somebody else hasn't already patented it if you want to make money.

9 out of 9 members found this post helpful.