Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #43
Breauxmantic

AgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club Member
AgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club MemberAgentJRad Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Because some people have perspective.

2006: 10-6 - NFCCG
2007: 7-9
2008: 8-8
2009: 13-13 - SB
2010: 11-5 - WC Loss
2011: 13-3 - Div Loss
2013: 11-5 Div Loss
2014: 7-9
2015: 7-9
2016: 7-9

Payton came back from suspension, won 11 games and the first Saints away playoff victory. His overall w/l is still like 65%.

I get people are frustrated, but take a step back and look at things. It's only been 3 years since the playoffs. In the grand scheme of the NFL, there are fanbases who wish they sniffed the playoffs 3 years ago. Things aren't looking down. They just aren't.

The Browns fire that guy, the Steelers retain him. Which franchise do you want to model?

6 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #44
The Voice of Reason

RaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club Member
RaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club MemberRaisingTheBar Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buda View Post
I'm amazed. Yes, we love him. Yes he won one Super Bowl. But it MUST be obvious to even the most casual observer that he simply is NEVER going to be successful as a Head Coach here in New Orleans again.

All the things that make great HEAD coaches - good personnel decisions, getting the most out of players, keeping players focused, keeping great players happy, developing and keeping team chemistry, keeping the team focused and motivated to finish games and seasons - just to name a few - have been utterly lacking ever since Payton came back from his suspension.

Yes he's still a GREAT play caller - but he has been poor at best as a Head Coach for several years. He may go somewhere else and be very successful as a head man, but he doesn't have IT here and now.

Something happened to him during that suspension. He lost something. This team was not the same from that point forward and they will continue to be MEDIOCRE as long as he is here.

It seems obvious to me - and I don't know why the fans, the TV talking heads and others aren't screaming about it.

So, your thoughts?
Becuase the majority of fans aren't completely insane.

RaisingTheBar is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #45
Bulldawg was my friend

crosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Member
crosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super44 View Post
The thing I would like to know is, how many on this board that are reluctant to have the Saints part ways with Payton, are fans since this organization's say first ten years? How many are fans that are fans say for the last 10-15 years?

I ask because I think the sentiment depends on your history with this franchise. That said, I would simply GUESS, that if you are a fan since the inception of this franchise, you are probably willing to continue and accept the losing seasons, living off the memory of a Super Bowl win and all the emotions released with that ONE season. I believe it allows you the mindset of accepting this current front office and coaching staff's subpar performance over a number of (3) years. On the flip side, the fans that are "recent" (last 10-15 years) are less tolerant of a losing organization, though it is only 3 years running. Just my opinion.

Myself; a fan since the Saints inception. And I personally have had enough of losing for 3 successive years. My opinion is. When find reasons that help you to accept losing, or try to find positives from losing, you become tolerant of mediocrity. Is that what we want as a fan base? Not me.
The Saints' inception was 50 years ago. You are displaying that you are 22. I'm no mathematician, but there seems to be a 28 year difference somewhere.
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-William Penn
crosswatt is online now Reply With Quote

9 out of 9 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #46
Veteran

Rpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura aboutRpierret has a spectacular aura about
I'm having deja vu from 2015 end of season. Same arguments to keep SP, i.e. Team heading in right direction, almost there, few plays away in a couple of games, etc. Yet, same result, 7-9. It's getting stale.

I don't know how I feel about letting SP go yet, but you can't tell ppl that want him gone they are unreasonable/illogical. There are plenty of talented coaches who would love to coach Drew Brees.
Rpierret is offline Reply With Quote

4 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #47
Pro-Bowler

tarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SippiSaint35 View Post
Next year will be do or die for Payton! Payton has to be accountable for the horrible defenses we continue to have. Again we will finish at or close to the bottom in defense. Bad drafts, bad free agents and horrible talent evaluation have wasted the career of future Hall of Fame Drew Brees in costing this team from winning. Firing the defensive coordinator will not work this time. All blame belongs on the evident dictator coach Shawn Payton!
Ok, who are you gonna bring in that's better. And I don't want to see another assistant coach that's gonna take 3 or 4 years just to get back to the playoffs.

I want to see someone that can come in and turn this thing around in 1 or MAYBE two years!!! I expect results, immediately!!!

And I expect to see this team with a new head coach going to the NFC championship AFTER his 2nd year!! I'm being liberal with my expectation. I don't want to hear about giving the new head coach some time crap either!!!

2 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #48
SR is my life!

2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member
2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member2009ring Prestigious Gold Club Member

Awards Showcase
Photography Award Outstanding Community Service Award 
Total Awards: 2

Not for one minute do I want rid of Payton. But I'd support some of his homies find the exit...
2009ring is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #49
Veteran

Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswatt View Post
The Saints' inception was 50 years ago. You are displaying that you are 22. I'm no mathematician, but there seems to be a 28 year difference somewhere.
You are correct. You are not a mathemetician, nor do you even remotely know me, or how old I am. To then insinuate there is something wrong with my perspective, (22 years old, however that relates) I would say you are probably, what, 5?
Super44 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 7 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #50
Pro-Bowler

tarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura abouttarusman28 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpierret View Post
I'm having deja vu from 2015 end of season. Same arguments to keep SP, i.e. Team heading in right direction, almost there, few plays away in a couple of games, etc. Yet, same result, 7-9. It's getting stale.

I don't know how I feel about letting SP go yet, but you can't tell ppl that want him gone they are unreasonable/illogical. There are plenty of talented coaches who would love to coach Drew Brees.
Mike Ditka would like to coach Drew Brees along with "Bozo The Clown". But it doesn't mean that any head coach that you maybe referring to is capable of taking this team back to Superbowl. No exceptions!!! SUPERBOWL or nothing!!!

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #51
Veteran

riverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished road
Call me what u want but i think he is the best coach out there. Everybody we play is afraid of this offence. Quinn was not smiling at the end of the game till they recovered that kick. The defence was playing with people off the street. I say give the man time to rebuild.
riverparishfn is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #52
Super Forum Fanatic

Cuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Cuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCuozzo67 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Consistent mediocrity has been firmly established.
Cuozzo67 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:28 PM   #53
SR is my life!

krushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Club
krushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Clubkrushing 60K Burger Club
We have no stability in ownership. Payton/Loomis is the only semblance of stability and identity this team has. You want MR Benson making the call to start over at this point. We better pray SP stays. This team will go the way of the hornets quickly.
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #54
Veteran

Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!Super44 is a BEAST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuozzo67 View Post
Consistent mediocrity has been firmly established.
I agree, and that is what I fear. Look, if this were a NY franchise, what do you think would be going on after this season? The media and fans would be livid.

One of the biggest problems I have, is not with Payton's ability to coach, but with some of his decisions he has made or not made. (IE; refusal to part ways with 3 obvious horrible position coaches).
Super44 is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #55
Super Forum Fanatic

Cajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Cajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of FamerCajun Chat is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buda View Post
I'm amazed. Yes, we love him. Yes he won one Super Bowl. But it MUST be obvious to even the most casual observer that he simply is NEVER going to be successful as a Head Coach here in New Orleans again.

All the things that make great HEAD coaches - good personnel decisions, getting the most out of players, keeping players focused, keeping great players happy, developing and keeping team chemistry, keeping the team focused and motivated to finish games and seasons - just to name a few - have been utterly lacking ever since Payton came back from his suspension.

Yes he's still a GREAT play caller - but he has been poor at best as a Head Coach for several years. He may go somewhere else and be very successful as a head man, but he doesn't have IT here and now.

Something happened to him during that suspension. He lost something. This team was not the same from that point forward and they will continue to be MEDIOCRE as long as he is here.

It seems obvious to me - and I don't know why the fans, the TV talking heads and others aren't screaming about it.

So, your thoughts?
Sorry, I'm not in the "Fire Payton" crowd. I believe he is still a top 5-7 coach in the NFL. The chances of you landing someone better is slim.

I think we are a couple of pieces away on defense and offensively we remain at or near the top. ST was better the second half of the season.
Cajun Chat is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #56
Pro-Bowler

Saintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popularSaintfan4life is becoming pretty popular
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentJRad View Post
Because some people have perspective.

2006: 10-6 - NFCCG
2007: 7-9
2008: 8-8
2009: 13-13 - SB
2010: 11-5 - WC Loss
2011: 13-3 - Div Loss
2013: 11-5 Div Loss
2014: 7-9
2015: 7-9
2016: 7-9

Payton came back from suspension, won 11 games and the first Saints away playoff victory. His overall w/l is still like 65%.

I get people are frustrated, but take a step back and look at things. It's only been 3 years since the playoffs. In the grand scheme of the NFL, there are fanbases who wish they sniffed the playoffs 3 years ago. Things aren't looking down. They just aren't.

The Browns fire that guy, the Steelers retain him. Which franchise do you want to model?
IMHO most of those who are wanting change now when the team appears to be headed in the right direction would like the saints to be like the browns. The browns constantly are rebuilding so they have no continuity and have no hope for winning but hey they make changes.I really belive a lot our fan base does not want to see the saints win.