Saintsreport.com Forums
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Do you want to remove the ads? Support the site by becoming a subscribing member.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #57
Veteran

riverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished roadriverparishfn is on a distinguished road
The same people calling for his head will be the same ones screaming the loudest when we get into playoffs again. Every team in the division wishes we get rid of payton. It will make their job much easier.
riverparishfn is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #58
Veteran

Rpierret is a jewel in the rough
Rpierret is a jewel in the roughRpierret is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarusman28 View Post
Mike Ditka would like to coach Drew Brees along with "Bozo The Clown". But it doesn't mean that any head coach that you maybe referring to is capable of taking this team back to Superbowl. No exceptions!!! SUPERBOWL or nothing!!!
At this point do you think SP is? Honestly.
Rpierret is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #59
Hall-of-Famer

srcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
srcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
At this point I certainly wouldn't shed a tear if he left us.
srcampbell is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #60
Veteran

Rpierret is a jewel in the rough
Rpierret is a jewel in the roughRpierret is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super44 View Post
I agree, and that is what I fear. Look, if this were a NY franchise, what do you think would be going on after this season? The media and fans would be livid.

One of the biggest problems I have, is not with Payton's ability to coach, but with some of his decisions he has made or not made. (IE; refusal to part ways with 3 obvious horrible position coaches).
We do not want to be a NY-style fan base. Not who we are.
Rpierret is offline Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #61
ALL-MADDEN TEAM

BCK30 has disabled reputation
Fire Payton...then what??? If you're going to do something that foolish then you better convince Jon Gruden to come out of the MNF commentating booth or something because nobody else is available in my mind that would make any sense...If our problems were on the offensive side of the ball then I'd be on board. The title of the thread maybe should have read Payton should have no say on defensive personnel, etc. But then again, what defensive player besides maybe Nincovich has he let go and they became a star somewhere else. Yes, we've missed on draft picks but who hasn't . The Saints have made progress in getting better on defense besides salary cap hell the past few years. Yeah let's ruin that by letting go of the best coach we've ever had, make Drew Brees and our 3 stud receivers learn a new offense and still have to address what lingering issues the defense has...makes perfect sense *sarcasm off*
BCK30 is online now Reply With Quote

3 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #62
...from a chicken, bugwit

blackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Member
blackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Memberblackadder Prestigious Gold Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
How did you completely miss the point of his post? Who do you want to replace Payton?

My guess is your response will be something like "Anyone else" or something an equally good cop out.

I'm not opposed to moving on from Payton. But no one is having a discussion on who to get instead.

I'll even start it off, how about John Harbaugh? Or do I mean Jim? Whoever is at Michigan.
This is a complete straw man. Like people were afraid to move on from Haslett because it was so risky.

The key here has been Brees. I'm way more concerned who succeeds Brees, especially if we could keep Charmichael as OC assuming a new HC would want to keep the offense in place. I would. Brees and Charmichael can run that just fine.

We need everything else re-vamped.
"All you have to do is to tell them (the people) they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
blackadder is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 PM   #63
Veteran

Super44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpierret View Post
We do not want to be a NY-style fan base. Not who we are.
That is why I said; I have a problem with some of his decisions with his refusal to get rid of 3 position coaches, not get rid of Payton. Not this year. After next year, who knows.
Super44 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #64
Hall-of-Famer

srcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
srcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famersrcampbell is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805 View Post
Why does none of threads like this done even a modicum of research and suggested a replacement?

I'm not committed to Payton, but "And then what?" needs to be a part of any serious discussion, I feel.
I certainly see your point, but come on. If we lose Payton what are we really losing? we can find just about anybody to get us to 7-9. It's been 3 years now and I'm done ignoring the obvious. I appreciate his contributions but after 3 losing seasons it might be time for him to kick rocks.
srcampbell is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 08:41 PM   #65
Bulldawg was my friend

crosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Member
crosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Membercrosswatt Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super44 View Post
You are correct. You are not a mathemetician, nor do you even remotely know me, or how old I am. To then insinuate there is something wrong with my perspective, (22 years old, however that relates) I would say you are probably, what, 5?
Look under your user name. It says that you are 22. If you are in fact 22, you physically could not be a fan since inception.

Otherwise, you probably want to ease up on the misplaced indignation and insult attempts.
I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
-William Penn
crosswatt is online now Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #66
Super Forum Fanatic

BooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger Club
BooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger ClubBooBirdSaint 40K Burger Club
Third season in a row where the "it doesn't matter Vanilla" preseason set the outcome for the regular season...
BooBirdSaint is offline Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 PM   #67
Veteran

Super44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura aboutSuper44 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosswatt View Post
Look under your user name. It says that you are 22. If you are in fact 22, you physically could not be a fan since inception.

Otherwise, you probably want to ease up on the misplaced indignation and insult attempts.
That is not correct and I am not certain on how to update it. But before you just go jumping up and down, feeling all high and mighty about what you read/see on an internet site (do not make assumptions everything you read on the internet), people do make mistakes. I did. So there.
Super44 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #68
Hall-of-Famer

renegadewa is a true Saintrenegadewa is a true Saintrenegadewa is a true Saintrenegadewa is a true Saintrenegadewa is a true Saint
renegadewa is a true Saintrenegadewa is a true Saintrenegadewa is a true Saint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buda View Post
I'm amazed. Yes, we love him. Yes he won one Super Bowl. But it MUST be obvious to even the most casual observer that he simply is NEVER going to be successful as a Head Coach here in New Orleans again.

All the things that make great HEAD coaches - good personnel decisions, getting the most out of players, keeping players focused, keeping great players happy, developing and keeping team chemistry, keeping the team focused and motivated to finish games and seasons - just to name a few - have been utterly lacking ever since Payton came back from his suspension.

Yes he's still a GREAT play caller - but he has been poor at best as a Head Coach for several years. He may go somewhere else and be very successful as a head man, but he doesn't have IT here and now.

Something happened to him during that suspension. He lost something. This team was not the same from that point forward and they will continue to be MEDIOCRE as long as he is here.

It seems obvious to me - and I don't know why the fans, the TV talking heads and others aren't screaming about it.

So, your thoughts?

I'm all in with you on this one but lets talk about what quality coach is out there?

I hear that Chip Kelly is unemployed...............so is Rex Ryan.........

.........pull my chain Mr Commissioner.........I dare you
renegadewa is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:53 PM   #69
Soulful Voice Actor

Eman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Eman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club MemberEman5805 Prestigious Platinum Club Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
This is a complete straw man. Like people were afraid to move on from Haslett because it was so risky.

The key here has been Brees. I'm way more concerned who succeeds Brees, especially if we could keep Charmichael as OC assuming a new HC would want to keep the offense in place. I would. Brees and Charmichael can run that just fine.

We need everything else re-vamped.
If your implication is because there's no suitable replacements, just keep Payton, then you could not be more wrong. I'd be very open to moving on from Payton. In fact, I said last year another 7-9 season would put me on the outs with him. But the way this year broke and the young talent we've amassed has softened my stance.

But on that subject of post-Payton moves, why shouldn't we just make Carmichael the HC while we're at it? Would you be in favor of it? I wouldn't mind it. He's been around for a long time. So there might not be much of a drop off if anything. Certainly not in terms of the offense. But as for the kind of person he is? I know almost nothing about him, for as long as he's been on the team.

See this? It's part of a decent discussion. It's better than constant "Fire Payton" ad nauseum stuff you see. I'm just trying to get something constructive going here. It's easy to sit way back and be a critic when you're putting nothing at stake to be wrong about. It's all nice and safe for the two old Muppets in the balcony who complain at everything.
Eman5805 is online now Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #70
Super Forum Fanatic

CantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true Saint
CantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true SaintCantonLegend is a true Saint
Living in northeast Ohio, being a lifelong saints fan, I've learned what a bad season is, what an average season is, and what a super bowl team looks like

If 7-9 is a down year, we are clearly doing something right.

Payton is coaching teams with limited talent. Our teams have a lot of unfulfilled potential but none of the teams over the past few seasons were talented enough to win a super bowl

Despite this, we are still just under .500. You don't fire someone that manages to milk a 7-9 record out of a lost season to begin with
CantonLegend is offline Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.