New Page 1
home Steve Gleasons Website
Saints Report News Saints Super Forum Everything Else Board Political Discussion Board Fantasy Football Board Tech Board SaintsReport Affiliate Merchandise Gameday Board Behind the Levee New Orleans Hornets Board Twitter Outdoor Boards Video Games Board Smack Board Music Board College Sports Board SR Live Chat Room Contribute to our site costs Become a subscribing SR member

Google Ads
Sponsored Ads

Old 02-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Veteran

booha64 is an unknown quantity at this point
question regarding remington 870 magnum

Just purchases my son an 870 magnum wingmaster at a gun show. Barrel is stamped 3"magnum, an I assumed it would fire a 2 3/4 in shell. Loaded some 00buck shells, an it fires the first shell, and ejects it, but does not reload a new shell. Question: Does it only shoot 3 inch shells?
booha64 is offline Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Burrrrrrrsitis!

Saint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Saint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
The info seems hazy, but the best I can tell is that unless its stamped 2 3/4-3, you should only load the shells the barrels is specifically stamped for. It seems that even if you have one marked 2 3/4, it will still chamber a 3 inch round. I would not advise that though. Also, FYI, Remington adds an M into the serial number for magnum able shotguns.

Luckily, my Mossberg shoots both.
Saint77 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #3
BRING THE WOOD!!!

SaintsIn2009 is a jewel in the rough
SaintsIn2009 is a jewel in the roughSaintsIn2009 is a jewel in the roughSaintsIn2009 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by booha64 View Post
Just purchases my son an 870 magnum wingmaster at a gun show. Barrel is stamped 3"magnum, an I assumed it would fire a 2 3/4 in shell. Loaded some 00buck shells, an it fires the first shell, and ejects it, but does not reload a new shell. Question: Does it only shoot 3 inch shells?
For the best and surest answer you should get/read the owners manual. You don't need advice from people who "may" know the answer when it comes to gun operation and safety. From here on out refer to owners manuals only. They can be ordered or downloaded online for cheap or even free. Safe shooting.
SaintsIn2009 is offline Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
Veteran

booha64 is an unknown quantity at this point
appreciate the response guys; am downloading manuel now.
booha64 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Owner/Webmaster

Andrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger Club
Andrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger ClubAndrus 50K Burger Club
Just in case I am not confused... A Remington 870 Wingmaster is a pump shotgun, not a semi-automatic. You have to pump it to load the next shell after firing. Shoot, pump, shoot again. It should shoot both 2 3/4 as well as 3" shells.

If that wasn't the issue, I apologize for the Madden-esque description.
Andrus is online now Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
All-Pro

deltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura aboutdeltadawg has a spectacular aura about
Some of you guys are funny...

If it has 3" stamped on the barrel it will shoot a 2-3/4" to 3" shell.

If its not picking up the new shell after you shoot the initial shell you're having a mechanism problem.

The 870 is an American classic! Take your gun to a gunsmith and I'm sure it can be fixed with no problem.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
Burrrrrrrsitis!

Saint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Saint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerSaint77 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintsIn2009 View Post
For the best and surest answer you should get/read the owners manual. You don't need advice from people who "may" know the answer when it comes to gun operation and safety. From here on out refer to owners manuals only. They can be ordered or downloaded online for cheap or even free. Safe shooting.
All due respect, thats one place I looked myself, and it was very much lacking in formation as to model numbers and what would chamber what round. Considering that all 870 barrels of all chamber sizes will interchange with all receivers, its a very good question by the OP. Hence, I was specifiic in mentioning the stamps on the barrel and the serial number designation.
Saint77 is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #8
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
I have one and I know if it is stamped 3" and is a pump it will shoot and eject either 2 3/4 or 3". You should be able to run shells through it without shooting it and get the same results since the recoil does not have anything to do with ejecting or reloading a pump shotgun.
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
2010 World Champions

seagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura aboutseagull has a spectacular aura about
Shooting 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber pump shotgun is no problem, but have to make sure to cycle the action all the way back. Short shucking the fired round could be what is causing this problem, if no other mechanical issues exsit.
seagull is offline Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Subscribing Member

krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
krushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Clubkrushing 40K Burger Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
Shooting 2 3/4" in a 3" chamber pump shotgun is no problem, but have to make sure to cycle the action all the way back. Short shucking the fired round could be what is causing this problem, if no other mechanical issues exsit.
Short shucking is a terrible thing!
krushing is offline Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #11
Super Forum Fanatic

Bayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
Bayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of FamerBayouman007 is a future SR.com Hall of Famer
I have an 870 it shoots both. I think you are having a mechanism problem.
Bayouman007 is offline Reply With Quote